• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Is Shutter Island good?

Just watched it again, my second time since the year it came out.

Not sure if it’s any good.

It had potential, I thought, but the final product wasn't very good.

It’s better than I remembered. I like movies that make us question the nature of our own reality. Got real bent and watched The Matrix recently and enjoyed it a lot.

But I think Shutter Island falls pretty flat. Shame given how completely stacked a cast and director it has.

As I recall (from a long time ago) the book was really good. I can't say I recall how well that translated to the screen.

I've had a good run recently at the theater:

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood - Nice movie. Not nearly as affecting as the documentary. This is better described as "The Mr. Rogers is the catalyst for someone else's story". Fortunately that still works.

Jojo Rabbit - another Taika Waititi home run (or penalty try*, since he's a Kiwi). Like basically each and every one of his movies, it's hilarious and darkly sorrowful simultaneously. Endorsed with all due enthusiasm.

Parasite - amazing. I'm about ready to fanboy this director (Bong Joon-ho) like I do Waititi.

* I have no idea if I'm using this rugby term correctly.

After Parasite, I made a new year's resolution to catch up on Bong's movies. So far that's included a rewatch of Parasite and most recently "The Host". It was sort of like Parasite but with a Kaiju. He certainly has consistent themes that flow through his movies, at least the 3 I've seen (including Snowpiercer) . Next up - Okja.

I've also unintentionally been on an Adam Driver spree as well.
Marriage Story - one of those well crafted movies that a few years from now I'll say "Oh yeah I saw that" at some point.
The Report - It's a'ight. Sorry to get political in the movie thread, but it's a political movie after all, it's a reminder that, believe it or not D. Trump is still not the worst president of the 2000s given his relative lack of torture and lower body count.
Some other movie with Driver - I forgot the details, but I saw him in something else at the theaters recently.

Lastly, Little Women - f'in great. That's right, this was a damn good movie with an amazing cast and well put together. If Oscar noms are a sausage-fest for best director (as predicted), there's going to be some rightful righteous indignation.

After Parasite, I made a new year's resolution to catch up on Bong's movies. So far that's included a rewatch of Parasite and most recently "The Host". It was sort of like Parasite but with a Kaiju. He certainly has consistent themes that flow through his movies, at least the 3 I've seen (including Snowpiercer) . Next up - Okja..

Go watch Memories of Murder and then Mother. The Host gets way too much hype.

I Saw The Devil is another good Korean flick, similar to Chaser. Yellow Sea is pretty good too. All three are not for the squeamish.

Go watch Memories of Murder and then Mother. The Host gets way too much hype.

I Saw The Devil is another good Korean flick, similar to Chaser. Yellow Sea is pretty good too. All three are not for the squeamish.

I’ll second Memories of Murder and Mother. Memories of Murder, especially, is like a Fincher flick via David Lynch’s view of law enforcement. Tonal tightrope and excellent execution imo

It’s better than I remembered. I like movies that make us question the nature of our own reality. Got real bent and watched The Matrix recently and enjoyed it a lot.

But I think Shutter Island falls pretty flat. Shame given how completely stacked a cast and director it has.

It’s way too long. He should have cut everything with Van Sydow, Clarkson, and John Carroll Lynch and maybe found a way to merge Mortimer and Michelle Williams into one character. I love all those actors but the story just drags on forever.

I watched it for a second time last week when I was sick, don’t really remember how I felt about it the first time.

Memories of Murder
Parasite
The Host
Mother
Snowpiercer
Okja

That’s how I rank them.

They are remaking Snowpiercer into a tv show where the trailer for the first season looks THE EXACT same as the trailer from the movie. I'm interested to see what season 2 holds, but if they think I'm going to spend another 10 hours watching an extended version of that very mediocre movie, they're crazy.

It wouldn't let me edit the above post, but it's comical how similar this is to the movie trailer:

Man, I just haven't hooked into Bong. I've seen Snowpiercer and The Host. It's probably just me, though. I'll get to Parasite at some point.

I saw 1917 last night and thought it was outstanding

the single-shot was really cool although I did feel at times that it limited the storytelling somehow; still on balance, it was interesting

George Mackay is fantastic

Saw Bombshell figuring at least I could watch the stars. They were good, but you can wait for it to get to cable.

Agreed. Folks walked out of it during my showing. The harassment was beaten to death. Theron's makeover was distracting to me.

Any thoughts on Uncut Gems? Thought it was fantastic and incredibly intense. Sandler did an excellent job

Back