• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Really want to see 1917 in theater. I feel like in recent years the movies i saw that really needed that experience were: Dunkirk, Wind River, and Mad Max: Fury Road.

just watched A Doggone Christmas this weekend.

A gritty but fun take on the "government supersoldier on the run" story

barebones production values but has a lot of heart

Knives Out - really fun, great cast, Evans and Craig kill it. I hear there's a sequel in the works and I'm on board.

Jojo Rabbit - also fun, but in a completely different way. Simultaneously sad as well because Nazis. That said, I'm confused about ScarJo getting an Oscar nod for it. Must've been slim pickins this year.

Also, Rebel Wilson's tired schtick is completely one note. Every time she shows up in anything, we know exactly what the joke is going to be. "Fat British lady says something silly or injures herself."

1917 was excellent. The story was fine, high stakes and well told and acted but the filmmaking was incredible. So insanely immersive feeling to have the handheld camera and super long takes. A few scenes were so gripping in particular from the camera work I was barely breathing. Good stuff.

I agree 1917 was great. The sound of one of those explosions felt like it just smacked you back into your seat in the theater I was in.

Knives Out - really fun, great cast, Evans and Craig kill it. I hear there's a sequel in the works and I'm on board.

Jojo Rabbit - also fun, but in a completely different way. Simultaneously sad as well because Nazis. That said, I'm confused about ScarJo getting an Oscar nod for it. Must've been slim pickins this year.

Also, Rebel Wilson's tired schtick is completely one note. Every time she shows up in anything, we know exactly what the joke is going to be. "Fat British lady says something silly or injures herself."

ScarJo has a lot of power and a lot of friends. Someone powerful got behind the movie to get it nominations.

I agree 1917 was great. The sound of one of those explosions felt like it just smacked you back into your seat in the theater I was in.

Yeah, at the beginning of the movie I felt like the volume in our theater was a little too low, then the first explosion hit, realy loud, andI didn't have a problem hearing the rest of the movie. I don't know if it was intentional or not.

James Murphy used that device at thebefinning of LCD Soundsystem's "This Is Happening" album. "Dance Yourself Clean" starts out whisper-quiet then explodes with sound.

Definitely "enjoyed" 1917.

Bad Boys For Life was exactly what I hoped it would be. Loved it.

I'm thinking of taking my 14 year old since they have been studying WWI in school. I know that it is rated R but do you think it would be too much for someone that age?

I'm thinking of taking my 14 year old since they have been studying WWI in school. I know that it is rated R but do you think it would be too much for someone that age?

A few f bombs but nothing gratuitous. Lots of bloated bodies and grossness from that, but violence overall is very light all things considered. Brief reference to whacking off which is easy to miss. Overall perfectly fine for a 14 year old. Would recommend renting They Shall Not Grow Old beforehand though if he hasn’t seen it. Turn on the subtitles.

Couldn't 1917 have been much shorter if the guy had just texted his brother?

i liked uncut gems... but didn't love it

my wife hated it

not sure i get the hype around it

Being Jewish helps, I think, at least to explain why I enjoyed it so much

The way that the Safdis seamlessly thread Judaism into the characters lives, from meditations on family to tradition and unspoken group norms, was really great. For once, it felt like a movie about us that (thankfully) didn’t involve the Holocaust or a dumbed down retelling of Torah.

Other than that, the way that the movie sustains vibe, the rush of winning, claustrophobic anxiety, the “wtf” of everyday life, I thought was an achievement in and of itself. These guys make movies that feel like they’re from the 70s when it comes to pacing, tone, and dubious moral compasses.

That’s even before we talk about Sandman’s brilliant anti-hero turn, the nods to unstable relationship between Jews, African-Americans, and basketball, and the political economy of precious stones, etc.

Brightburn was pretty terrible. Good idea and set up, then just boring paint by numbers horror. Missed opportunity.

Really enjoyed 1917 and it definitely needed the big screen. I’d like to see it again.

Really enjoyed 1917 and it definitely needed the big screen. I’d like to see it again.

I saw it for the second time the other day wife. You can appreciate the scene with all the flares better the second time through, and try to catch continuity issues. After jumping in the river, his hair becomes well combed again at some point. And drier than his clothes. Didn’t take away from the movie at all, but was kind of amusing.

I can't wait to watch 1917 on my phone in a few months to compare the experience to the big screen.

Back