• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Parasite is one of the only good Best Picture winners in a long time.

Parasite is one of the only good Best Picture winners in a long time.

What are y'all's favorite Best Picture winners?

Moonlight, Shape of Water, Parasite, No Country for Old Men, The Departed, Silence of the Lambs, Schindler's List, and Unforgiven all hold up pretty well for me since the 1990s.

Saving Private Ryan is probably my favorite Best Picture

Shakespeare in Love was trash then, but the ending to Saving Private Ryan is so bad it is almost disqualifying in and of itself, imo. I also kind of hated the bookend cemetery scenes. They worked in Schindler's List, but I don't know why we really needed them in Saving Private Ryan.

I'm unzipped and waiting to hear your take on why Moonlight is a bad movie.

It is without a doubt the best movie I've ever seen about a gay teen handjob.

I have a hard time comparing it to a movie where a lady fucks a fish monster though.

I wish Winter’s Bone had won in 2010. Maybe my favorite nominee of the 10s.

Before that the best three noms of the 2000s for me probably:

A Serious Man (2009)
There Will Be Blood (2007)
No Country for Old Men (2007, won)

1990s

Fargo (1996)
Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Goodfellas (1990)

Doesn’t really feel like the Academy often gets it right.

Shakespeare in Love was trash then, but the ending to Saving Private Ryan is so bad it is almost disqualifying in and of itself, imo. I also kind of hated the bookend cemetery scenes. They worked in Schindler's List, but I don't know why we really needed them in Saving Private Ryan.

the end as in the bookends or the end as in "earn this"? it's all very affecting. SPV came at just the wrong time (after SL). just spielberg being spielberg

way better than anything else happening that year.

the end as in the bookends or the end as in "earn this"? it's all very affecting. SPV came at just the wrong time (after SL). just spielberg being spielberg

"The tank" and the bookends. otherwise, it's a fine film. Thin Red Line or Life is Beautiful were also pretty great, imo.

American History X wasn’t nominated that year but holds up well. Big Lebowski would have been my best pic nom tho.

For those of us who had grandfathers and other family members who fought at Normandy and other places in WWII and lived through it, the graveyard scenes are meaningful.

Parasite was good. For some reason I thought it was a horror movie, so I kept waiting for the monster to show up in the basement.

Turns out the monster was the one inside of all of us the whole time.

For those of us who had grandfathers and other family members who fought at Normandy and other places in WWII and lived through it, the graveyard scenes are meaningful.

How come? You're rich, right Biff? Just go !

My grandfather fought in Europe, but was never into movies all that much. He was able to go to the cemetery at Normandy before he passed away, though, and considered it one of the highlights of his life last we spoke.

Back