• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

re: the tank at the end:

the tank is blown up by a P-51 Mustang that flies over, though technically the plane should've flown over before the bomb hit it (no apparent rocket racks on the plant, though a rocket attack would've killed probably everyone because it basically just paints the area with rockets. Also, the bomb would've killed Tom Hanks and most of the americans.

Also, at that time P-51s were not used in ground-support roles like blowing up tanks in mid-44, that would be the job of P-47s until winter/1945. They were new fighter technology used to establish air superiority until the Luftwaffe was destroyed.

no wonder the movie lost the oscar

LimitedIdealDeinonychus-size_restricted.gif

in retrospect, it is pretty weird that Tom Hanks is able to blow up a tank with a colt. 45

MacGyver did the same thing with a piece of bubble gum, a paper clip and a piece of yarn.

Using a Colt .45 seems like overkill.

Watched Parasite. Worthy nominee for all its categories, but I definitely enjoyed Once Upon A Time and 1917 better. Those are definitely more western themed movies though, while Parasite is more universal. There was nothing about it that wowed me, but it is a very good film.

Parasite was good. For some reason I thought it was a horror movie, so I kept waiting for the monster to show up in the basement.

Turns out the monster was the one inside of all of us the whole time.

Are you saying the real parasite was the friends we've made along the way?

I hated the Thin Red Line. Went with a bunch of friends at Wake after having a few beers. Fell asleep.

Was so excited to see that movie... And then it sucked.

A rare instance where I disagree w/ mako.

Ooof, this man is not a Malick fan. I love that movie.

It's definitely a matter of taste. I still think Thin Red Line is the best war movie that I've seen, though also understand that Malick is an acquired taste.

What are your favorite war movies, Pit?

I hated the Thin Red Line. Went with a bunch of friends at Wake after having a few beers. Fell asleep.

Was so excited to see that movie... And then it sucked.

A rare instance where I disagree w/ mako.

I personally wouldn't recommend pre-gaming for a Malick movie, fwiw.

why do you like it so much?

The combination of natural beauty (and unnatural violence against people and the landscape), its continuous focus on the similarities between US/Japanese soldiers, the suspense/horror of the mountain and fog battles, the innocence and violence inherent in the meeting between soldiers and indigenous and enemy "Others," and the way that it communicates its anti-war message, I think, are really powerful. Plus, aesthetically, it's an incredible movie. Cinematography is insanely good, it features a paradigm shifting score from Hans Zimmer, and Malick gets great performances from his cast. I also really love the way that Malick uses the voice over. It's definitely become a cliche of sorts in the decades since, but it was a fresh device then. That said, it's hard not to be disappointed that a more cohesive cut wasn't released. In an age where auteurs like Scorsese are able to release 3.5 hour final cuts, it's a shame that the studio undercut his vision, though it also makes sense given the fact that his return after two decades of silence was a 3.5 hour war epic.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't recommend pre-gaming for a Malick movie, fwiw.

It was 1998 and I was 20 years old. I am pretty sure we all thought we were going to a Saving Private Ryan type movie, or even Full Metal Jacket, when it definitely wasn't either of those.

I've tried to watch it again a few times with poor results.

I guess just not my thing.

TRL is sort of the first version of the movie ethos in particular where every war is actually Vietnam and the soldiers all reflect on their experience as individuals rather than as griping, but ultimately patriotic, soldiers.

It is remarkable that we got both SPR and TRL in the same year, as they're sort of a yin/yang of modern war storytelling.

It's definitely a matter of taste. I still think Thin Red Line is the best war movie that I've seen, though also understand that Malick is an acquired taste.

What are your favorite war movies, Pit?

Rogue One
Gallipoli

SPR
Paths of Glory
Das Boot
The Enemy Below
Great Escape
All Quiet on the Western Front
Dirty Dozen
A Bridge Too Far
Red October