• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Saw Raymond and Ray last night (on Apple). Thought it was really good. Ethan Hawke and Ewan McGregor were great. It was both funny and sad at the same time and did a great job of telling a story of some broken dudes dealing with some real life shit. Would defs recommend.

I'm not a big horror guy and haven't been for a while, especially once I got married because The Wife hates the genre.

She would not have liked Barbarian one bit.

I thought it was pretty good for the genre. No need or desire to rewatch, but it was well done, and had its moments. LOL @ the guy being so absorbed about square footage.

I was thrilled to see Barbarian was on HBO. All I've heard is to go in as cold as you can and I managed to stay unspoiled thus far so I saw it ASAP. Really worth it and I do urge anyone with it on your "to-do" list to get it "to-done". I really liked Georgina Campbell and she's on my watch list now.

On the flip side, I saw my first Halloween as well. Not even going to bother Googling the name, whatever the last one is. Despite being in the demographic of people that you'd expect to have seen each and every Halloween, I never bothered with it. This did nothing to inspire me to remedy that.

These two movies are just polar opposites of the genre, that's the one redeeming quality of Halloween, at least I got to compare and contrast with something fresh and exciting.

I was thrilled to see Barbarian was on HBO. All I've heard is to go in as cold as you can and I managed to stay unspoiled thus far so I saw it ASAP. Really worth it and I do urge anyone with it on your "to-do" list to get it "to-done". I really liked Georgina Campbell and she's on my watch list now.

On the flip side, I saw my first Halloween as well. Not even going to bother Googling the name, whatever the last one is. Despite being in the demographic of people that you'd expect to have seen each and every Halloween, I never bothered with it. This did nothing to inspire me to remedy that.

These two movies are just polar opposites of the genre, that's the one redeeming quality of Halloween, at least I got to compare and contrast with something fresh and exciting.
The 1978 Halloween is still an incredible flick, horror or otherwise, imo.

Yeah, that's the word I've heard. I'll put first Halloween in queue. Because it was the first to become a gore franchise I've always just lumped them all together but realizing it's the one directed by Carpenter is enough reason to un-lump it from the others.

The original Halloween may have kind of kickstarted the slasher genre, but it's not particularly gory.

Yeah, that's the word I've heard. I'll put first Halloween in queue. Because it was the first to become a gore franchise I've always just lumped them all together but realizing it's the one directed by Carpenter is enough reason to un-lump it from the others.
I loved this podcast on Halloween, Carpenter, and the evolution of the slasher genre:

Finally got around watching Barbarian and loved it.

We were dying at the scene of Justin Long trying to get the square footage of the murder tunnels.

Just watched Barbarian and holy shit lol
I knew Justin Long was going to be like pulverized and obliterated as soon as I saw his face in that driving flashback

I really enjoyed how inventive and fresh it was, while still keeping some old horror tropes in there. The real creativity about the film that I enjoyed is that it introduces 3-4 separate horror premises and you don’t know which one is the main storyline until 1/3 of the way through.

Barbarian was awesome.

Just watched Speak No Evil and was disappointed. You could see the ending coming a mile away, and I thought based on reviews that it would be idiosyncrasies/annoyances coming to a head, which would have been interesting, but it was not that. And I really hated the protagonist couple, which was maybe part of the point, but I couldn't have cared less what happened to them.

Barbarian was cool. I almost went to the theatre on a whim to see it after reading a reddit review that just said "go see it, no spoilers" but I backed out at the last minute. happy to watch it on HBO though and it was good!

I guess I will break with others RE: Barbarian. It was OK, almost stopped it a few times.

I’m a little disappointed in my own kids ,
both young teenage boys, , in how little effort they put into trying to watch horror or titty movies or anything rated R. That was all I thought about at that age , plus sports, and they are more into boring stuff like making good grades and being nice and things like that.

Back