• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Saw a few movies on my recent flights:

Nolan Ryan doc - Nolan is one of my favorite baseball players ever. I thought this was pretty well done and I enjoyed the shit out of it.
Confess, Fletch - went into this one knowing it wasn't going to be great, but I thought it was enjoyable enough. Just 90+ mins of funny shlock.
Gasoline Alley - LOL bad. I don't know how shit like this even gets made. I missed the last 15 mins because of landing, but I don't think I missed anything important.
The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent - I really enjoyed this one. It wasn't a great movie or anything, but I thought it was fun and different and a totally great way to spend 100 minutes of an 8 hour flight.
Loved Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

There is a group every year in Austin that puts on Jaws showings on the lake. You gotta watch in inner tubes. It’s great
Yeah and they hire divers to swim around and grab people's ankles. You couldn't pay me to do that

ETA: couldn't pay me to watch on a lake in an innertube

Anybody watch Causeway on AppleTV+ yet?

I think I'll probably knock that out over the weekend.

Yeah and they hire divers to swim around and grab people's ankles. You couldn't pay me to do that

ETA: couldn't pay me to watch on a lake in an innertube
Why is your post contradictory and unclear thus needing clarification within the same post? Seems to be a bit of a misstep.

I didn't watch Causeway.

I did, however, submit to my wife and watch Don't Worry, Darling.

It wasn't as horrible as I feared... Held my attention. But the end is kind of a mess and only gets worse when you go back and think about it more afterwards.

In a hotel room and surfed onto My Salinger Year starring Margaret Qualley and Sigourney Weaver and there’s a character called “Boy from Winston-Salem,” who’s a guy who wrote a letter to Salinger.

This was apparently a real guy, who the author tracked down later for a radio story. Might need to dive deeper into this one.

Came in halfway through so prob won’t stick with it, but anyone see it? It seems quiet, which is kind of refreshing.

i saw it in a theater last night in a limited release run

looks like it hits HBO in 2023

Have watched “Terrifier 2”, “Confess, Fletch”, “Where the Crawdads Sing” and “Stutz” in the past week.

Terrifier 2 was excellent. Everything good about the original, but with an actual plot and an interesting protagonist. The violence and gore is still way over the top and not for the squeamish. 4/5

I really enjoyed Confess, Fletch. I was relieved that Jon Hamm did not attempt to recreate Chevy Chase’s character, and instead played it his own way, less goofball and more smartass. I give it 3.5/5

“Where The Crawdads Sing” was…it was bad. It’s basically “To Kill a Mockingbird” as written by Nicholas Sparks, but instead of Jim Crow racism putting an innocent black man on trial for murder in a small southern town, it’s a Southern small town putting a white girl on trial for murder because of their prejudice for her living alone in a marsh(?). I give it 2/5

“Stutz” is an unusual auto-documentary by Jonah hill about his Psychiatrist. I thought it was excellent, and one of the best films I’ve seen this year. It’s hard to describe, but the jist of the film is Jonah interviewing his Psychiatrist and discussing the “tools” that he has provided to Jonah to improve his life, and the relationship the 2 men have with each other. It’s one of those films that you will either find affecting or extremely boring. I give it 4.5/5

Saw two this morning on my flights. First was Where the Crawdads Sing and I thought it was great, contrary to the prior post. To each their own, but I found the story compelling and thought that the actress who played Kya was fantastic. ¯\(ツ)

The other was Vengeance, which I thought was good, not great. I think there are a lot of societal themes discussed that are probably pretty true and presented in fun and quirky ways, it some of it was a bit much for me. My wife absolutely loved it, so again… ¯\(ツ)

Watched Slumberland with family last night and was very pleasantly surprised how good it was.

Also, I’m about 20 pages into Tarantino’s new book, Cinema Speculation. It’s autobiographical about his experience watching the great films of the 70s. A great gift for movie lovers.

been digging music docs -- seen The Devil and Daniel Johnston and A Story of Sahel Sounds in the last couple weeks

hit me with your music documentary recs!

Watched most of Slumberland with my kids. They liked it, but we had to cut it off with like 30 minutes to go due it getting really late.

I should have known it was 2 hours long.

So far, my take is that it is OK. Better than I expected.

been digging music docs -- seen The Devil and Daniel Johnston and A Story of Sahel Sounds in the last couple weeks

hit me with your music documentary recs!
I love music docs, even of bands/people I hate -- maybe hate is too strong, but I'm not really an Eagles or Lynyrd Skynyrd fan, and I've enjoyed both of those docs.

The Gordon Lightfoot one is good (on Prime or Netflix), the Harry Nilsson one is good.

The Paul McCartney Buddy Holly response doc to the Gary Busey portrayal is good, and I watched that recently:

Also dug this short Jack Bruce one recently:

This was also one of my recent favorites:

As well as this:

I watch a ton of these, so sorry for the overkill.

The Big Star documentary Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me is really good and has local (to Winston) connections.

Back