• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

I'm guessing crazy stupid love is mako's fav Gosling vehicle. That's peak lovable rascal with a kind heart of gold that just might eiffle tower your spouse with you. Who am I kidding, he defs would.
It goes

Drive
Lars and The Real Girl
Blue Valentine
Half Nelson
then Crazy Stupid Love for me but let's be honest I celebrate the guy's entire catalog.

Was thinking about doing some black history month screenings with my son.

Do the Right Thing
Malcolm X
Glory
Night of the Living Dead

Any other recommendations?

Was thinking about doing some black history month screenings with my son.

Do the Right Thing
Malcolm X
Glory
Night of the Living Dead

Any other recommendations?

maybe not all with your son (depending on age)...

Friday
Boyz in the hood
Lean on me
Dolemite is my name
the Hurricane
New Jack City
Shaft
Blackula

i am sure i can come up with others...

Finally caught Killers of the Flower Moon on AppleTV. Solid. I didn't feel like it was overlong, but there were definitely opportunities to trim the fat. It's a great (and miserable) story, so it's easy to maintain the viewer's interest. I felt like all the acting (except for the Indian guy flubbing his lines in the meeting scenes) was very good, but always kind of under the surface, which made it more casual and realistic. It was nice to see DeNiro do something different, even if he was still quintessentially DeNiro. I would actually think this would be an easy year for him to pick up a best supporting actor except that Downey in Oppenheimer was better, but we all know the support awards are often lifetime achievement awards (Michael Caine and Judi Dench come to mind). Leo is always good, but there was something missing here and I'm not sure what. Maybe I expected too much, but I couldn't reconcile how he could love his wife and do all the things he did. I know he was supposed to be a rube, but not a complete moron. Lily Gladstone was good too. Not great, but good. Stylistically it is much more conventional and less Scorcese-ish, which fits it fine. I wish the soundtrack had been a bit more of-the-time since they did such a good job with the costumes, characters, etc...

Listened to the Scorcese screen draft then went and bought a few of his Criterion Blu-ray’s. How would you rank the four I bought? After Hours, Age of Innocence, Last Temptation of Christ and Mean Streets.

Listened to the Scorcese screen draft then went and bought a few of his Criterion Blu-ray’s. How would you rank the four I bought? After Hours, Age of Innocence, Last Temptation of Christ and Mean Streets.

After Hours, Mean Streets, Last Temptation, and Age of Innocence.

You?

Finally caught Killers of the Flower Moon on AppleTV. Solid. I didn't feel like it was overlong, but there were definitely opportunities to trim the fat. It's a great (and miserable) story, so it's easy to maintain the viewer's interest. I felt like all the acting (except for the Indian guy flubbing his lines in the meeting scenes) was very good, but always kind of under the surface, which made it more casual and realistic. It was nice to see DeNiro do something different, even if he was still quintessentially DeNiro. I would actually think this would be an easy year for him to pick up a best supporting actor except that Downey in Oppenheimer was better, but we all know the support awards are often lifetime achievement awards (Michael Caine and Judi Dench come to mind). Leo is always good, but there was something missing here and I'm not sure what. Maybe I expected too much, but I couldn't reconcile how he could love his wife and do all the things he did. I know he was supposed to be a rube, but not a complete moron. Lily Gladstone was good too. Not great, but good. Stylistically it is much more conventional and less Scorcese-ish, which fits it fine. I wish the soundtrack had been a bit more of-the-time since they did such a good job with the costumes, characters, etc...

Did you feel that knowing the outcome affected it at all for you?

Did you feel that knowing the outcome affected it at all for you?

I was actually unfamiliar with the story apart from what I had read about the movie. Indians dying and white men involved was pretty much the gist of my knowledge. The Okies in my family were in a different part of the state entirely at this time.

Haven’t seen After Hours (I get a lot of shit for this but I’m fixing it soon). Of the other three I go Age of Innocence, Mean Streets, Last Temptation. Haven’t seen Innocence or Temptation since I was like 18 though so we’ll see.

What a surreal film that is. Quintessentially 80s and yet totally unique. One of those movies that sticks with you for a while and you have absolutely no explanation for why it does.

What a surreal film that is. Quintessentially 80s and yet totally unique. One of those movies that sticks with you for a while and you have absolutely no explanation for why it does.

I come back to it at least once a year. It’s the best example of one of my favorite sub genres.

e.g., game night, Harold and Kumar, or the game , etc. etc.

I watched Strays on Amazon. It was exactly what I needed-- stupid, profane, and funny as shit.

Tried to watch it with my 11 year old and it was too inappropriate. Then we watched Do The Right Thing and found out it has 255 f-bombs, more than any movie in the 80s.

Tried to watch it with my 11 year old and it was too inappropriate. Then we watched Do The Right Thing and found out it has 255 f-bombs, more than any movie in the 80s.

Strays is a hard R for sure.

I thought Scarface had the record for F-bombs in the 80s.

We watched Anatomy of a Fall on Saturday night - that was excellent.

Movies:

Just Mercy - Our 8th graders read this novel. The author is Bryan Stevenson and he has spoken at Wake and UNC. A very impressive guy!

BlacKKKlansman

Mississippi Burning

Watched Fast X on a flight the other day and it is quite possibly the most ridiculous movie I've ever seen. I don't hate on the F&F franchise but I'm not a fanboy either. I know that they went to space in another movie, but this one felt even more implausible (and I know plausibility isn't the point). But there are so many stars that they cram into one movie that there is no real plot and it's just a mishmash of nonsense. Didn't hate it though.

Back