• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Finally saw Gone Girl. Now sleeping with one eye open. Great flick tho.

I liked trainwreck

Dope is my favorite movie of the summer so far

Just saw the "I am Chris Farley" documentary and it got kinda dusty in here. I grew up watching Farley's movies with my friends and I've read the biography that his brother wrote. Crazy that Akroyd basically lived that same exact experience 10 years before with Belushi. SNL was so toxic for addictive personalities.

Saw The Battle of Five Armies. Peter Jackson is quite talented at extending movies and referencing his other stuff ('see how everything ties neatly into my LOTR movies?').

RIP Christopher Lee

Straight Outta Compton is really good.

It definitely dances around some of the group's and individual member's more controversial moments (Cube and Eazy's homophobia, Dre's domestic violence, etc), but it's a really well acted and written depiction of an amazing time in rap history. Abstracting a bit, it's also one hell of a reminder that the material conditions that produced NWA, the ghetto, and the Rodney King riots are very much unchanged.

ETA: There are tons of music-related nuggets, too, including the best "production" scenes since Hustle and Flow and some pretty spot-on portrayals of rap icons.

And Suge Knight. Holy shit.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing it this week. The ad that ends with Dre playing the melody to Nuthin But a G Thang when Snoop walks in the room brings back so many Gen X feels.

Looking forward to seeing it this week. The ad that ends with Dre playing the melody to Nuthin But a G Thang when Snoop walks in the room brings back so many Gen X feels.
That's one of the moments I was referring to above. Snoop has a really small part, but the audience went nuts. The movie's depiction of the making of Boyz n the Hood is also pretty amazing.

Seeing this in LA was awesome, too. Great crowd.

Saw MI:RN today and it was really good. This one and GP are so much better than the early ones. It's almost lik they started taking the plot seriously.

Tomorrow, we're checking out The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Saw MI:RN today and it was really good. This one and GP are so much better than the early ones. It's almost lik they started taking the plot seriously.

Tomorrow, we're checking out The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

The first 2 were very solid

The first one was great actually

Straight Outta Compton is really good.

It definitely dances around some of the group's and individual member's more controversial moments (Cube and Eazy's homophobia, Dre's domestic violence, etc), but it's a really well acted and written depiction of an amazing time in rap history. Abstracting a bit, it's also one hell of a reminder that the material conditions that produced NWA, the ghetto, and the Rodney King riots are very much unchanged.

ETA: There are tons of music-related nuggets, too, including the best "production" scenes since Hustle and Flow and some pretty spot-on portrayals of rap icons.

And Suge Knight. Holy shit.
Agree with all of this. The actors did a great job selling who they were portraying. Cube's son was amazing playing his father.

The origin of "Bye Felicia" had the place rolling.

They definitely set it up for a Dre themed sequel though. So much more they can go into with his story.

I watched Kingsman: The Secret Service over my vacation and I really enjoyed it.

Saw two movies over the weekend I don't think I'd heard of. The Water Diviner, directed by and staring Russel Crowe, and the Gunman with Sean Penn. I actually liked both movies quite a bit.

Agree with all of this. The actors did a great job selling who they were portraying. Cube's son was amazing playing his father.

The origin of "Bye Felicia" had the place rolling.

They definitely set it up for a Dre themed sequel though. So much more they can go into with his story.

Solo bio pics about Cube, Dre, Snoop, and Suge Knight seem like a start.

Just saw it. I wasn't going to get anything done before 2 today anyway. Great movie. Surpassed my expectations even with the great reviews. Definitely agree there's sequel potential.

Just saw it. I wasn't going to get anything done before 2 today anyway. Great movie. Surpassed my expectations even with the great reviews. Definitely agree there's sequel potential.

No way I get a pass from the wife during normal parenting time to see an NWA movie. So is it worth bailing from work for a "meeting" for? Or wait for DVD?

Back