• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Watched Straight Outta Compton last night. It was fine but not something I think got hosed by not being an Oscar Nomination.

Watched Sicario last night. Well done and tense, but the one glaring flaw I had was that I just didn't buy the lead female character's moral qualms. I guess we are supposed to sympathize with her, but to me she was always kind of the dumbass noob who was way too uppity.

^^^not to mention that a hot (despite mild case of britface) 31 year old is the head door kicker for the LA drug squad is not super believable.

Saw The Revenant last weekend. Good but not great movie. Leo deserves the Oscar for the sheer amount of work he put in...he made you believe he was a miserable, badly wounded dude in the frozen 1823 wilderness. I'm not sure I've ever seen an actor work that hard. Hardy did a good job as well. Hugh Glass never had a son and I thought the addition of that character was unnecessary. The dialogue was mediocre and I didn't like the ending of the film. The cinematography was beautiful but sometimes the natural lighting shots left the view gray and blurry. I felt like I needed a shower after the movie...it was just muddy, icy, filthy misery. Go see it on the big screen for the dramatic cinematography but don't expect the greatest movie in history.

Watched Sicario last night. Well done and tense, but the one glaring flaw I had was that I just didn't buy the lead female character's moral qualms. I guess we are supposed to sympathize with her, but to me she was always kind of the dumbass noob who was way too uppity.

Agreed. I wasn't sold at all. The trade offs didn't even strike a nerve with me. The "moral sacrifices" she was asked to make were so minor that it's hard to imagine anyone having a problem making them. Also, what FBI agent involved with drugs in southern California is awe struck by the violence of the Mexican drug trade, and has seemingly never heard that Juarez is a terrible place? The fact that this movie was still pretty good despite having a poorly written main character is a testament to the director and the other cast members.

Watched Entourage this afternoon. It was okay. Watching g The Tailor of Panama right now and I have no idea what it's about.

Watched Entourage this afternoon. It was okay. Watching g The Tailor of Panama right now and I have no idea what it's about.

Is that the Pierce Brosnan movie? If so the Blockbuster by campus kept that movie in the "New Releases" section for my entire time at Wake (started in 04). I probably looked at it 100 times without renting.

It is. Releases in '01 but the quality looks to be late 80s/early 90s. It also has Jamie Lee Curtis and she gets topless.

Recently re-watched an uncensored Tropic Thunder. Goddamn that's a great movie and holy hell is it ruined by cable broadcasts.

I found Hail, Caesar to be a lesser Coen movie. I got the sense it was full of in-jokes I didn't get. Fairly funny, but definitely a notch below their other comedies.

I just watched The Martian and I think if I hadn't read the book it would have been a lot better. I will say that I like the ending in the book better because it's more vague as to the ultimate result.

I just watched The Martian and I think if I hadn't read the book it would have been a lot better. I will say that I like the ending in the book better because it's more vague as to the ultimate result.

I haven't see the movie but I'm trying to figure out how the book's ending is vague

I felt that it ended abruptly and that it only told half of the story. For all of the talk about how dangerous space travel is and how anything could go wrong at any time it sort of just stopped.

The Martian was passable; I enjoyed it but I'll go back to other Ridley Scott offerings before this one.

Daniels and Wiig...woof.

Back