• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Saw the Maltese Falcon over the weekend and didn't really love it as much as I thought I would based on the tomatometer. Overall kinda meh.

Saw Zoolander2 on sat. If you really liked the first one then you would like this one. If you didn't love the first one then I wouldn't bother.

Saw Zoolander2 on sat. If you really liked the first one then you would like this one. If you didn't love the first one then I wouldn't bother.

Deep thoughts to ponder here...

finally watched Straight Outta Compton, really enjoyed it, solid biopic. so many good songs back in the 90's

I found Hail, Caesar to be a lesser Coen movie. I got the sense it was full of in-jokes I didn't get. Fairly funny, but definitely a notch below their other comedies.

Yeah, I was surprised by how little I liked it.

Saw Spectre. Dug it. I liked the winky attitude it had in contrast to the prior Craig films.

It probably was about 8% too corny, so I can understand those criticisms.

Watched Kill the Messenger last night. Renner is solid and the rest of the cast is great for the most part. Its an intriguing, ultimately tragic subject.

BUT... the story was derailed everytime the wife shows up on screen from basically the first moment you see her. I really wish screenplay writers would just abandon the whole "harpy, nagging wife" paradigm in favor of something more real.

Recently watched Fantastic 4, Spotlight, Bridge of Spies, Hail Ceasar!, and Deadpool

Fantastic 4 was poorly written, terribly edited, and it felt like the actors phoned it it. I don't really have anything good to say about it. I did like the dark, cronenberg body morph special elements.

Spotlight was ok, bordering on good. There is very little tension or suspense. The writing was very good, but none of the actors were really challenged. We could have just watched the table reading and it would have made the same impact. I thought Jeremy Renner's "Kill the Messenger" was better.

Bridge of Spies was surprisingly good. The story was gripping, the writing and acting was great (especially the Russian spy). The production values were typical Spielberg level great. My only complaint with the film is my problem with nearly all Speilberg films - they feel sanitized.

Hail Ceasar was bad. I want to defend it and say it was ok, because Coen Brothers, but it was bad in the worst way - it was boring. The acting talent was wasted. The movie is broken up into vignettes that don't flow together and don't move the plot, if you can call it that, forward. The best part of the movie, is a western actor named Tobey, played by Alden Ehrenreich (?!) His character is interesting and charming, and he is the star of the movie. I began to wait for the scenes with a grimacing Josh Brolin to end to spend more time with Tobey.

Deadpool was really good. It was very funny, and it played up all of the super hero movie tropes. I think the bad guys could have been more interesting, but that's my only complaint.

Hail, Caesar is super niche inside Hollywood baseball. I don't think it was bad as it was esoteric. Seems like the Coens are at the point where they're making movies more for themselves than the audience sometimes.

Hail, Caesar is super niche inside Hollywood baseball. I don't think it was bad as it was esoteric. Seems like the Coens are at the point where they're making movies more for themselves than the audience sometimes.
I didn't think of it as a sea change for the Coen bros, because they've been making the same obscure meandering film for 20 years. I just thought this specific film was bad. To give context to my review, I absolutely loved Inside Llewen Davis. Hail Ceasar isn't inaccessable, it's just boring and there is no character arc to keep you invested.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree. It's an ode/parody of the studio system during postwar Hollywood but before the rise of TV. It's super niche. It got good reviews and terrible audience scores.

I don't think it's terribly made, the set pieces were actually pretty brilliant even if I didn't get the references. I just think most people normal non-industry people in America don't get excited or super into it when they see a send up of Hedda Hopper or Esther Williams.

Just got out of The Witch and it was worth the wait. I felt like I was in 1600's New England. It's a slow boil, but the tension builds so nicely. Great acting from a bunch of actors ive never heard of. A+

I rewatched Straight Outta Compton and Sicario with the fiancée this weekend and thought they were both just as good if not better the second time.

Also watched the newest Mission Impossible today with her and it was good but probably too long.

I recently saw "J. Edgar" (with DiCaprio as Hoover) and thought it was a good flick. The makeup budget should have been higher, but I like the way Eastwood did the film and I thought the acting was good.

Back