• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official thread about the movie you just saw

Watched Mission Impossible 5 over the weekend - or at least the first 2/3 before I gave up. Really bad.

I need to see The VVitch again. Absolutely loved its visuals, but I saw it in a packed theater and the volume was pretty low so I missed a lot of the early modern English dialog. Reading up on it and it's subtle as fuck. It definitely has a similar vibe to Under the Skin, hands-down one of my favorite movies of the decade so far.

The Witch: a visual feast, the score is skin crawling, elegant. It's a freak out show for sure. All fans of horror should go see asap. Real horror is back.

Saw Spotlight tonight and it was great. I do not care much for the Catholic Church so I guess this movie was right in my wheelhouse but still a very good film!

Recently saw The Revenant and Bridge of Spies.

The Revenant is not a particularly good movie. DiCaprio has been better in other movies. If you like the cold, the countryside is impressive. Kinda funny that it was filmed in lots of places except those where the events purported to have taken place.

Bridge of Spies, on the other hand, is pretty good. The facts of the story are well-known but the movie still manages to keep interest and pull surprises. The Rudolf Abel role is good - the actor even looks like the spy - but pretty one dimensional. Minor details being obviously inaccurate can be annoying: the Berlin wall was set up in August, not in the winter, and no one could have just casually crossed the wall as it was being built. The events in Berlin take place during the winter but when Tom Hanks returns to New York, it's summer. Come on Spielberg, you can do better than that.

Watched Creed last night. Would really like to watch it again.

We watched it today. I thought Jordan was good, and probably worth a nomination, but I think that's it. I thought Stallone was better in it, honestly.

We watched it today. I thought Jordan was good, and probably worth a nomination, but I think that's it. I thought Stallone was better in it, honestly.

I actually agree that Stallone was better in it. Knowing that he was nominated I paid a lot of attention to his scenes.

Saw Black Mass this weekend. It was good. Not great. I think it would have been better if I hadn't watched 1000 hours of whitey bulger documentaries with my FIL over the last decade.

Creed was great, one of the best of the year.

Recently saw Zoolander 2, The Witch, The Danish Girl, The Good Dinosaur, The Big Short, Sisters, Chiraq, and Zootopia.

Zoolander 2 was bad. It didn't recapture the charm of the first, and the jokes were stale. D

The VVitch was damn good, one of the best horror films of the past few years. Very reminiscent of 70's slow build films like Rosemary's Baby. A

The Danish Girl was good, but not great. The setting and writing was all great, but Redmayne was over the top and overwrought. B-

The Good Dinosaur was fun, the animation was great, and the dynamic between the cartoon dinosaurs and photo realistic backgrounds was interesting. B+

The Big Short surprised me. I thought it was going to be overrated, but I loved it. It hit all the marks, and I cant think of a fault with it. A+

Sisters was very funny, and it didn't make the mistake of the sisters being opposites, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were both dynamic characters. I didnt think that the plot twist with the daughter was necessary. B

Chiraq was interesting. I loved the musical element, and most of the acting was top notch. My main problem was Nick Cannon and John Cusack. Both were completely miscast and distracting. Some of the elements of lysistrata, such as the chorus, didnt translate well and convoluted the story. B-

Zootopia was good. The story was fresh and the world building was very cool - very ripe for sequels or spinoffs. I should have liked the movie a lot more, but the overt liberal messaging was very distracting, almost to the point of seeming like indoctrination or propaganda. My wife didn't mind as much.
A or B, depending on how much the politics bother you

Also saw Creed over the weekend. Pretty good. Solid B. I sort of disagree with the fight scenes. While they were entertaining, they were not realistic, especially the last fight. Except for flyweight asians, no fights have that many solid connecting power punches without someone getting knocked out cold.

Also, Donny Creed was ripped to shreds, and the British dude had the body of an overgrown 14 year old. Could they not get MBJ's trainer to do 20 mins a day with that guy?

Also saw Creed over the weekend. Pretty good. Solid B. I sort of disagree with the fight scenes. While they were entertaining, they were not realistic, especially the last fight. Except for flyweight asians, no fights have that many solid connecting power punches without someone getting knocked out cold.

Also, Donny Creed was ripped to shreds, and the British dude had the body of an overgrown 14 year old. Could they not get MBJ's trainer to do 20 mins a day with that guy?

I said the same thing. Tony Bellew (the guy who played Conlan) is actually a professional boxer with a 26-2 record and a couple belts though. He might still not have been in the best shape, but maybe for him that's good boxing shape? I dunno.

I said the same thing. Tony Bellew (the guy who played Conlan) is actually a professional boxer with a 26-2 record and a couple belts though. He might still not have been in the best shape, but maybe for him that's good boxing shape? I dunno.

I'm sure if he had actually tried to cut and make weight he would have looked less puffy.

i assumed the bolded part. But I just meant the natural/realistic-appearing "boxing". must've taken a ton of work and practice

Back