• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

This does not look like the same team the last 2 games that played Morocco and Uruguay. WTF happened?
It's a very different team with Jedi and Musah and perhaps Weah as well.

I haven't seen him play so I don't know whether he deserves consideration but Josh Cohen with a clean sheet today in Haifa's 2-0 win over Juve.

USWNT has lost 2 in a row as well. It hasn't been a good last month for US soccer.

USWNT has lost 2 in a row as well. It hasn't been a good last month for US soccer.
USWNT is in a serious transition. It's the biggest one in the last 25 years. The team that just lost 2 games in England and Spain has a ton of key players out injured, a new coach, no Christen Press, Alex Morgan, Julie Ertz, Kelly O'Hara, Tobin Heath, Carly Lloyd,, Sam Mewis, Abby Dahlkemper, Mallory Pugh, Ally Long, Tierna Davidson, Lynn Williams, Catarina Macario and over the hill Becky Sauerbrunn, Megan Rapinoe and Crystal Dunn. Based on what we've seen in the last 6 months only 3 players (Mal Pugh, Sophia Smith and Naomi Girma) have shown the ability to play consistently at the senior team level. Alana Cook and Andi Sullivan clearly don't play at that level even though they start consistently because there's no better option at their position. The USWNT needs many of the those players currently out to be back for the WC next summer especially Press, Morgan, S. Mewis, Pugh, Dahlkemper, Davidson, Macario and Ertz. Vlatko doesn't seem to be the motivator or tactician that Jill Ellis was even though he was probably the best available hire at the time. Rose Lavelle and Lindsey Horan don't seem to thrive in Vlatko's system. I don't expect us to be a favorite in the WC. England, France, Germany, Spain, Canada, Netherlands, Japan and Brazil are all closer to us than ever in the last 30 years. It reminds me of 2017 when we were totally out of sync. We could still win the WC, but this version of the USWNT has A LOT of holes. Under Vlatko and the 2019 squad they only finished 3rd in the Olympics. The USMNT hasn't looked good since the Summer of 2021 success. It's a lot of disappointment right now.

US has opened a camp for MLS players to stay in shape. Not everyone invited will make the team and there are some somewhat interesting omissions - no Gyasi, Mihailovich or Lleget.

Not a surprise but no Chicharito and I don't think any of the dual nationals that chose Mexico over the US.

Mexico's 31-man preliminary World Cup roster

Goalkeepers
: Rodolfo Cota, Guillermo Ochoa, Alfredo Talavera

Defenders: Kevin Alvarez, Jesus Angulo, Nestor Araujo, Gerardo Arteaga, Jesus Gallardo, Hector Moreno, Cesar Montes, Jorge Sanchez, Johan Vasquez

Midfielders: Edson Alvarez, Roberto Alvarado, Uriel Antuna, Luis Chavez, Andres Guardado, Erick Gutierrez, Hector Herrera, Diego Lainez, Orbelin Pineda, Carlos Rodriguez, Luis Romo, Erick Sanchez, Jesus Corona, Hirving Lozano

Forwards: Rogelio Funes Mori, Santiago Gimenez, Raul Jimenez, Henry Martin, Alexis Vega

Not a surprise but no Chicharito and I don't think any of the dual nationals that chose Mexico over the US.

Mexico's 31-man preliminary World Cup roster

Goalkeepers
: Rodolfo Cota, Guillermo Ochoa, Alfredo Talavera

Defenders: Kevin Alvarez, Jesus Angulo, Nestor Araujo, Gerardo Arteaga, Jesus Gallardo, Hector Moreno, Cesar Montes, Jorge Sanchez, Johan Vasquez

Midfielders: Edson Alvarez, Roberto Alvarado, Uriel Antuna, Luis Chavez, Andres Guardado, Erick Gutierrez, Hector Herrera, Diego Lainez, Orbelin Pineda, Carlos Rodriguez, Luis Romo, Erick Sanchez, Jesus Corona, Hirving Lozano

Forwards: Rogelio Funes Mori, Santiago Gimenez, Raul Jimenez, Henry Martin, Alexis Vega

Even worse, none of the dual nats were in the 15 players that were invited to join the team in Europe to train for the next few weeks leading up to Qatar

Even worse, none of the dual nats were in the 15 players that were invited to join the team in Europe to train for the next few weeks leading up to Qatar
I guess the question is whether any of those players would have a chance at making our roster were they eligible?

I guess the question is whether any of those players would have a chance at making our roster were they eligible?

Julián Araujo would have a shot at the #3 or #4 wingback position, IMO

Back