• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

Why wait another year?

Agree. And you take out someone who should be automatic from PK.

Rapinoe should be too though.
Rapinoe was in the past, but it’s clear that she was not the best choice this WC. But not all on her. Both Smith and O’Hara had the keeper going the wrong way and missed.

Still hate that we had them consistently on the ropes with Morgan holding and Smith and Rodman/Williams out pacing them on the outside. Rapinoe doesn’t have the pace and I don’t love Smith up top.

It would be typical us soccer to not sack the coach after it’s worse WC by light years And it should be announced this morning. A goal post away from getting knocked out early for first time ever and then eliminated 2 rounds earlier than any other team In history. Abject failure all around and team never had a clear system working and definitely not a team effort but a bunch of individuals. A number of players should not have been on the team like Rapinoe and coach just went with easy choices instead of younger players that would have added so much more. even so still too much talent to go out in round of 16 when a top 4 team. vlatko got to go.

One hot take before I get some sleep. The US has had a huge advantage in soccer due to Title IX getting ahead of the rest of the world in many women’s sports. This may just be a rebuilding period as the old champions retire and the new guard comes in. Smith, Rodman, and Thompson could certainly light the world on fire in 2027, maybe even next year in the Olympics with a new coach.

But regardless, the rest of the world has caught up. I can’t help wondering if the US system is failing the women like it’s failed the men. Only one player on the roster who plays overseas.
It’s kinda mind blowing. We have millions of kids playing coming in at the bottom of the pyramid but our system is completely broken.
It would be typical us soccer to not sack the coach after it’s worse WC by light years And it should be announced this morning. A goal post away from getting knocked out early for first time ever and then eliminated 2 rounds earlier than any other team In history. Abject failure all around and team never had a clear system working and definitely not a team effort but a bunch of individuals. A number of players should not have been on the team like Rapinoe and coach just went with easy choices instead of younger players that would have added so much more. even so still too much talent to go out in round of 16 when a top 4 team. vlatko got to go.
all this. Plus think about the lost opportunity to develop some of the young talent in the world spotlight. Complete wasted trip.

It’s kinda mind blowing. We have millions of kids playing coming in at the bottom of the pyramid but our system is completely broken.

all this. Plus think about the lost opportunity to develop some of the young talent in the world spotlight. Complete wasted trip.

I have to think it’s coaching. Our Athletes are as good or better than any nation, when you consider the access to facilities for training….nutrition, etc

I have to think it’s coaching. Our Athletes are as good or better than any nation, when you consider the access to facilities for training….nutrition, etc
Maybe. Our top athletes still play football or basketball.

I don't think this is necessarily true, especially with women's sports. But in soccer being athletic is way less important than technical ability at higher levels. Today was a great example where a dozen touches went by the wayside that a team like Spain or Netherlands would have contained and created from. Not being able to string passes together is due to lack of touch, not physical ability. Same with confidence attacking one vs. one. Speed/strength doesn't cut it at this level, you need close control. It would clearly be a huge advantage if the US only played soccer, but getting kids playing with the ball every day at 5, 6 years old is way more influential. You can't teach top level touch at 12+ years old.

Last edited:
Guess I’m the only one who thinks it would be cool if we had Calvin Johnson as our goalie.

Guess I’m the only one who thinks it would be cool if we had Calvin Johnson as our goalie.

Goalies are definitely a different discussion as there are fairly transferable skills and touch isn't nearly as important. Matt Turner didn't play soccer until he was 14 or so I think.

In women’s sports soccer has got to be the top dog. And even if we fall back on this line of logic for the men at some point in time it quits mattering. Croatia has 4 million people and has been to a WC final and semi-final in the last 8 years.

This makes no sense.

Of FIFA’s record $110 million prize pool, the USWNT, which, until this year, had never bowed out earlier than the semifinals in a Women’s World Cup, will take home $3.25 million for its knockout round exit.

Though that’s almost as much as the team earned for winning the 2019 Women’s World Cup in France–$4 million—and more than the $2 million the women’s squad earned for winning the 2015 Canadian iteration, the sum sits far behind what 2023’s top finishers will take home. It’s less than a third of the $10.5 million that awaits the winner of this year’s tournament and less than half the $7.5 million and $6.75 million that will go to the runner-up and third-place finishers, respectively. (The fourth-place finisher will take home $6.25 million.)

Theoretically, FIFA has earmarked a portion of the prize money awarded to teams in each stage directly for the players. But U.S. Soccer’s equal pay agreements will award the women’s team with more, trumping the payouts outlined by soccer’s global governing body.

Instead, the team’s earnings from Down Under will be pooled with the $13 million the men’s team took home in Qatar last winter after reaching the round of 16 in the most recent men’s World Cup. For the first time in the history of U.S. Soccer, the $16.25 million earned in total between the two team’s performances will be pooled and divided into equal payouts for the rostered men’s and women’s players. A third consecutive World Cup victory for Team USA would have brought the total pool to $23.5 million.

Of the winnings, 10% will go to U.S. Soccer, per the terms of the new agreements with the federation, but the remaining 90%--which amounts to $14.625 million—will be shared equally between both squads. That comes to just north of $298,000 per player. (There were 26 rostered players named to the men’s national World Cup team and 23 on head coach Vlatko Andonovski’s team.)

Someone is going to have to explain to me the equal pay thing here. If the revenue or prize money is greater in the Men's World cup, why do the women get the same payout? And before some idiot screams at me for being Anti-woman, that has nothing to do with it. I'm all for equity but where does revenue impact come into it?

ah yes capitalism. if it’s not all about cash then it’s unimportant.

Someone is going to have to explain to me the equal pay thing here. If the revenue or prize money is greater in the Men's World cup, why do the women get the same payout? And before some idiot screams at me for being Anti-woman, that has nothing to do with it. I'm all for equity but where does revenue impact come into it?

Because they work just as hard or something.

Back