• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

Men's World Cup purse for 2022 was $440 million

Women's World Cup purse for 2023 was $150 million, five times greater than 2019.

And, btw, the USMNT, who you just declared "suck," were eliminated in the same round as the USWNT.

Players from both teams get paid for more than World Cup performance, but the distribution from those matches should be based on the revenue received.
This is the argument for me. And this is where people bristle when they are called out for not wanting the women to get paid fairly. It's not an anti-woman stance... it's looking at it terms of the Revenue delivered by each competition. Now as i learn more i understand there may be some nuance, but I believe the revenue disparity is what most people look at.

Last edited:
not quite apples to apples since the huge purse/revenue is not because of the USMNT, but because of Messi and Ronaldo and France etc

would USMNT get half the pot if they missed the 2022 tournament like they did in 2018?
Perhaps a more apt comparison would be that Wake gets less money for making the Final Four of the College World Series than for the NCAA Basketball tournament. Is that fair to baseball?

I think the women probably had a legitimate gripe about how they previous victory tours were handled in terms of how they got paid and how their games were promoted. But prize money from WC performance should be distributed based on which team earned it.

And, btw, the USMNT, who you just declared "suck," were eliminated in the same round as the USWNT.
You really want to compare the US women and men's teams, Biff? Are you really that insecure in your manhood that you are triggered by stating the obvious about the men's team?

You really want to compare the US women and men's teams, Biff? Are you really that insecure in your manhood that you are triggered by stating the obvious about the men's team?

You're the one who made the point that the men's teams sucks dipshit. By your measure, they both suck.

I only state the obvious because it seems to elude your grasp.

Last edited:
You're the one who made the point that the men's teams sucks dipshit. By your measure, they both suck.

I only state the obvious because it seems to elude your grasp.
C'mon Biff, do you really want to compare our men's and women's histories? I think our women have won 4 and been runners-up once, whereas our men have never made it past the round of 16. And with GGG as our coash moving forward, we probably won't do any better even though we now have our most talented teams. Our women are out in that same round of 16 now because we sucked ass for 3 games and were rewarded with Sweden instead of RSA. Sweden is an elite team, and we finally changed tactics, played a quality game and frankly outplayed Sweden for 120:00. I think most of our frustrations are with coaching and why it took them till their 4th game to finally show up.

This is the argument for me. And this is where people bristle when they are called out for not wanting the women to get paid fairly. It's not an anti-woman stance... it's looking at it terms of the Revenue delivered by each competition. Now as i learn more i understand there may be some nuance, but I believe the revenue disparity is what most people look at.
I think that's fair. I also think the point of contention is the dissemination of USSF created dollars. Here there's less of a gap in revenue generation, and an argument can be made that the USWNT out earns the USMNT (they have been comparable and USWNT has brought a little more in from match attendance recently, as mentioned before there's no data to show which team is driving the licensing $$). Is this money being divided equitably?

I think that's fair. I also think the point of contention is the dissemination of USSF created dollars. Here there's less of a gap in revenue generation, and an argument can be made that the USWNT out earns the USMNT (they have been comparable and USWNT has brought a little more in from match attendance recently, as mentioned before there's no data to show which team is driving the licensing $$). Is this money being divided equitably?
All of it is very reasonable discussion.
It's why i think it's a confusing topic and not as cut and dry as Women should make the same as Men. One of the reasons I find Rapinoe insufferable is her trying to take it down to that level, which I find condescending and obnoxious.

C'mon Biff, do you really want to compare our men's and women's histories? I think our women have won 4 and been runners-up once, whereas our men have never made it past the round of 16.
The 1930 US team would like a word...
1691435821291.png

C'mon Biff, do you really want to compare our men's and women's histories? I think our women have won 4 and been runners-up once, whereas our men have never made it past the round of 16. And with GGG as our coash moving forward, we probably won't do any better even though we now have our most talented teams. Our women are out in that same round of 16 now because we sucked ass for 3 games and were rewarded with Sweden instead of RSA. Sweden is an elite team, and we finally changed tactics, played a quality game and frankly outplayed Sweden for 120:00. I think most of our frustrations are with coaching and why it took them till their 4th game to finally show up.

There is no reason to really compare the two histories because the competitive landscape of the men's game versus the women's game isn't remotely the same. It's apples, versus dare I say, oranges ?

There is no reason to really compare the two histories because the competitive landscape of the men's game versus the women's game isn't remotely the same. It's apples, versus dare I say, oranges ?
That's because other countries presidents weren't as progressive as Richard Nixon when he signed Title 9 into existence, and yes, we've had a competitive advantage over other countries in women's athletics over the last 30-40 years. But that advantage has been disappearing. It started in northern Europe, China and Japan, and now it's getting to southern Europe, Australia, Africa and South America. This is the best Spain squad I've ever seen, Nigeria outplayed England today, and RSA, Jamaica and Morocco made the knockouts. We can no longer continue making it to the knockouts by just having superior athletes, playing folks who are over the hill and not being able to string more than 2-3 passes together at a time and were a post away from not making it this year. So with the rest of the world catching up or having already caught up, I think we're at least comparing red apples to green apples these days. Hell, I thought Germany was the best team heading into this thing, and they didn't make the knockouts. And I in no way am trying to disparage the USMNT, other than Berhalter. We were in a bad place in 2018, but this young generation is some of the best talent we've put out there.

DV7, I searched my memory and have no memory of making the quarters in 2002. I find my database is getting glitchier with time. Was 2002 when the wrong Escobar was killed, or was that 1998?

DV7, I searched my memory and have no memory of making the quarters in 2002. I find my database is getting glitchier with time. Was 2002 when the wrong Escobar was killed, or was that 1998?
We beat Mexico in the R16 and then faced Germany in the quarters. I think we outplayed them. Torsten Frings handled the ball on the goal line to keep a goal out that would have equalized.

1998 was the abject failure in France after Harkes was left off the plane for fucking Wynalda's wife.

1994 was on home soil where we got knocked out by that amazing Brazil side. Later that summer Escobar was killed in Colombia.

We beat Mexico in the R16 and then faced Germany in the quarters. I think we outplayed them. Torsten Frings handled the ball on the goal line to keep a goal out that would have equalized.

1998 was the abject failure in France after Harkes was left off the plane for fucking Wynalda's wife.

1994 was on home soil where we got knocked out by that amazing Brazil side. Later that summer Escobar was killed in Colombia.
If they hadn't fucking murdered Tab Ramos, we may have had a slightly better chance.

Back