• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

Non soccer guy here says we looked timid, as if we were playing soccer in a prison yard or something, which we kind of were.

I missed first 15 min of 1st half and 1st 2 min of 2nd half, but did we ever have a corner kick? I did go pee a couple times, so maybe I missed it. From about the last 25 min, we actually looked like the better team. Other than that, it looked like two bad teams, with one (El Sal, obviously) playing physical to knock the other off whatever its game is.

Reyna is too good for this side

Nobody on his level

Not sure i get this. He had a nice set piece but he was mostly wasteful i thought. His body language is off too. Tough game for technical guys as they learly aren't used to this surface but you have to adapt.

xG was 1.68 to 0.29

So shit finishing killed us. The missed open headers by Pefok and McKennie were big ones. Sargent also passed up a great opportunity.

Unlucky night, but we kept a clean sheet and didn’t lose. So it’s okay.

Official US Soccer / World Cup '22 Thread (WCQ vs. El Salvador 10:05 pm TONIGHT)

Reyna was good, looked confident and assured on the ball, but generally had no one to pass to.

Konrad looked good early but faded

Adams was a little sloppy but put in his usual shift

Ream/Robinson/Turner solid

Acosta and A-Rob looked assured when they came on and helped us look better

Everyone else needs to step up

I just know it was a dour first half and I went to bed knowing I wouldn't be missing anything. Woof.

Reyna was good, looked confident and assured on the ball, but generally had no one to pass to.

Konrad looked good early but faded

Adams was a little sloppy but put in his usual shift

Ream/Robinson/Turner solid

Acosta and A-Rob looked assured when they came on and helped us look better

Everyone else needs to step up

I'm tired of Sargent getting wasted minutes and not being a threat and Pefok had a perfect cross he has to get down. Dike would do so much better than Sargent holding up the ball and allowing team to get upfield under pressure from D and really want him out there. Dike getting experience is so important as think he has so much upside vs. Sargent.

Not sure i get this. He had a nice set piece but he was mostly wasteful i thought. His body language is off too. Tough game for technical guys as they learly aren't used to this surface but you have to adapt.

He was wasteful because he was pressing, trying to make things happen. He regularly got surrounded by 3 or 4 guys and gave possession away trying to dribble through them, same thing happened to Dest and Konrad a few times.

The reason I posted this at the time was he was trying to make quick triangle passing work and got frustrated by Aaronsen and McKennie not picking their heads up. He switched flanks with Konrad and saw it wasn't any better on that side.

His first set piece should have been scored, and a couple of his corners were more or less free headers as well.

He was wasteful because he was pressing, trying to make things happen. He regularly got surrounded by 3 or 4 guys and gave possession away trying to dribble through them, same thing happened to Dest and Konrad a few times.

The reason I posted this at the time was he was trying to make quick triangle passing work and got frustrated by Aaronsen and McKennie not picking their heads up. He switched flanks with Konrad and saw it wasn't any better on that side.

His first set piece should have been scored, and a couple of his corners were more or less free headers as well.

Yeah, I agree with this for the most part. I didn't think playing tight through the middle was the right gameplan with a bumpy surface and a team we should outclass in most 1 v 1 situations. Part of the problem with having Reyna out wide (he won't stay there, nor should he) was that we had no width on the right. We ended up trying to play short quick passes which let them double/triple the ball and our guys had all sorts of trouble with routine passes/traps on the bumpy surface. I'd have liked us to spread the field, put Aaronson or someone who likes to attack 1 v 1 on the touchline and free up Reyna/McKennie to have more room centrally.

Not unhappy with a draw in El Salvador but I didn't like the tactics we tried to use and we didn't seem to adapt as the game went on. That surface is going to be the same in Honduras and probably Jamaica.

No talk of Brazil health officials/customs coming onto the field midgame to detain 3 Argentinean players who should have been quarantining and removing them from the country. Game was suspended and I'd imagine Argentina take the loss. Apparently the officials tried to do it before the game and Argentina wouldn't open the dressing room. Bizarre scenes.

Dest/Robinson gonna have their hands full with Alphonso Davies starting at left wing for Canada. Like the lineup, Pulisic/Lletget in and for an injured McKennie and Reyna by the looks of it.

Dest/Robinson gonna have their hands full with Alphonso Davies starting at left wing for Canada. Like the lineup, Pulisic/Lletget in and for an injured McKennie and Reyna by the looks of it.

McKennie out for disciplinary reasons. Not good.

3 subs at the 82nd minute? Way to rotate Greg. We're not going to qualify if we continue to play without wings. LB/RB gets ball wide, no option to the corner, play back to CB, reverse to other wing or force ball into FW/Pulisic, lose ball, repeat.

Yedlin weak link again when forced on and subs way too late.

Plenty of time left in qualifying but hate 2 points in 2 against these teams.

Yedlin has never been a defender and we should have had a lock down defender to put on Davies. I just don't have any idea what the strategy is. Where are they trying to get the ball? There is no space centrally and that's the only place we have our 3 forwards. Where is it supposed to go? We make defending Pulisic and Aaronson so easy.

No talk of Brazil health officials/customs coming onto the field midgame to detain 3 Argentinean players who should have been quarantining and removing them from the country. Game was suspended and I'd imagine Argentina take the loss. Apparently the officials tried to do it before the game and Argentina wouldn't open the dressing room. Bizarre scenes.

I think Brazil takes loss. Apparently Conmebol made some agreement allowing them to play without Brazil government. FIFA hates governments getting involved.

The US in possession looks like Marco Silva's Everton sides. They know that they want to control possession but they have zero idea how to actually score once they have the ball. Once again our only goal came in transition or on a set piece. I can't remember that last time we scored after holding the ball for more than 10 seconds against a Top 100 NT.

I'm really worried that we'll draw again at Honduras on Wednesday, and that would be really bad. Still plenty of qualifiers left but I don't think Gregg knows how to break down teams who sit back against, which is what every team in CONCACAF will do except for Mexico.

Back