• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

Congratulations to Canada and to our own Alistair Johnston, who has been very good for them. I'm not sure I'm ready to pronounce them the Kings of CONCACAF, but they have one thing we don't: an excellent manager who knows what works for his team.

Congratulations to Canada and to our own Alistair Johnston, who has been very good for them. I'm not sure I'm ready to pronounce them the Kings of CONCACAF, but they have one thing we don't: an excellent manager who knows what works for his team.
I wonder if Johnston had played any RB before Muuss moved him there before his senior season. If not, pretty amazing that move happened and a few years later he's the starting RB for the team atop CONCACAF in WCQ.

WTF kind of start time and broadcast partner was that anyway ? 5PM eastern time on a Tuesday ?

What region is the team from that faces the 4th place finisher?

US Soccer had no control over away match start times or broadcasting rights

How do other regions handle broadcast rights?

I would think ESPN would be interested in full CONCACEF rights to broadcast on their networks. Not sure how many CONCACEF nations carry ESPN Deportes though.

What region is the team from that faces the 4th place finisher?

TBD among Africa, South America, Oceania

By the way, Oceania's qualifying tournament is a total clusterfuck at this point - has not started yet. Curious to see how they go from 11 nations to picking a winner by the scheduled start for the ITC playoffs in June.

Last edited:

By the way, Oceania's qualifying tournament is a total clusterfuck at this point - has not started yet. Curious to see how they go from 11 nations to picking a winner by the scheduled start for the ITC playoffs in June.

Asia, not Africa. Should be a cake walk as long as you avoid South America

Asia, not Africa. Should be a cake walk as long as you avoid South America

oops - thanks.

Yes, the 5th best team from South America should be pretty good. Currently, one of
Colombia
Peru
Chile
Uruguay

will advance directly, and the next in line will be in the playoff

I'm guessing they seed those 4 based on FIFA ranking or something

I'm guessing they seed those 4 based on FIFA ranking or something

It used to be a rotation, and you know which confederations would be matched up at the start of the cycle. I have no idea how they do it now, that's clearly not the case anymore.

I believe they are going to do a quick group stage/knockout style tournament in a non-fucked area (early reports of the Middle East?) during the spring international windows. That was the last I heard, with so few nations though I imagine it could be streamlined pretty easily.

I believe they are going to do a quick group stage/knockout style tournament in a non-fucked area (early reports of the Middle East?) during the spring international windows. That was the last I heard, with so few nations though I imagine it could be streamlined pretty easily.

just a 4 team round robin? would be 3 intense matches for those nations

just a 4 team round robin? would be 3 intense matches for those nations

I believe he was talking about Oceania qualifying, not the Inter-confederation playoff.

However, that would be awesome. All 4 teams show up in Qatar for a week-long group stage play in, top two advances to the World Cup

I believe he was talking about Oceania qualifying, not the Inter-confederation playoff.

However, that would be awesome. All 4 teams show up in Qatar for a week-long group stage play in, top two advances to the World Cup

This is such a good idea from an entertainment and monetary perspective that I’m surprised FIFA hasn’t jumped on it already. If they can figure out a way to weave in an ability to line someone’s pockets, they will announce it tomorrow.

Rugby did it this was for last World Cup and it was pretty sweet

Back