• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official US Soccer / World Cup '26 Thread (USA vs. Mexico 3/24 in Dallas)

This is going to be like watching The Decision, isn’t it?

Horvath, Johnson and Turner. Interesting, Berhalter always seemed to go with Steffen when healthy.

Morris over Pepi is very meh, but hopefully neither would be called upon. Roldan I've never really rated, but again, filling out the bench. The rest looks fine to me.

Pepi would likely start 1-2 matches
Not from what I've seen. He just doesn't offer the hold up/linking play we'll need from a #9. Morris is a wing option anyway, so its not really a like for like. In my view Haji, Josh and Jesus kept Pepi off the team and Greg was happy carrying three 9s as he only plays with one.

Haji has 1 start all time under Greg, just a weird inclusion. Pepi had most goals in WCQ behind Pulisic, who took our PKs. Idk. Maybe he is going to Weah or Pulisic or Reyna at the 9?

I’ve never seen someone act as if they know more than the fans since I don’t know the last two USMNT coaches. Fuck off GGG.

Haji has 1 start all time under Greg, just a weird inclusion. Pepi had most goals in WCQ behind Pulisic, who took our PKs. Idk. Maybe he is going to Weah or Pulisic or Reyna at the 9?
I doubt it. He's always played a standard 9. I'm surprised too because he seemed committed to Pepi but he must have preferred Wright's form.

I would start Sargent but I suspect we're going to see Ferreira.

I’ve never seen someone act as if they know more than the fans since I don’t know the last two USMNT coaches. Fuck off GGG.
Honestly, if the coach doesn't think he knows more than the fans, he should be in another line of work. Doesn't mean he's right but he better think he knows best.

Haji looks like a down a goal late, need a big target guy in the box option. I think Pefok would have been a better fit, if only because he's playing at the highest competition level, but I dont watch either enough to say. I think its Sargent and Ferreira alternating up top. Reyna, Pulisic, Aaronson and Weah will alternate in wide spots (and maybe dropping into the midfield to spell McKennie or Musah). Tough to say - we haven't had a healthy full team in ages and I have no idea how they play together.

I guess this isn’t as egregious as taking Brad Davis over Landon Donovan, and that wasn’t even “real” until Altidore got hurt and we were like “oh, who could possibly replace what he brings?” But it is a real head scratcher because I don’t understand what Morris brings to this team

I guess this isn’t as egregious as taking Brad Davis over Landon Donovan, and that wasn’t even “real” until Altidore got hurt and we were like “oh, who could possibly replace what he brings?” But it is a real head scratcher because I don’t understand what Morris brings to this team
Yeah, other than being average at multiple positions. He has like one goal in the past 3 months or so. Maybe just some veteran experience to a VERY young team?

Haji over Pepi is very odd, given Gregg's approach to them in the past (intense criticism of Haji after 45 minutes on an awful field, ongoing faith in Pepi despite club struggles, always noting Pepi's qualifying goals). With them both on form at the club level, not sure what would have changed his mind about Haji, but important to remember Gregg isn't very bright and doesn't understand offensive tactics

No Steffen seems strange

Donovan was on Futbol Americas tonight and said it was a clear message to Matt that he’s the #1. According to Dovovan, Greg couldn’t bring them both. He made his decision on Turner being the #1 and had to leave Steffan at home to avoid distractions.

Personal distractions? These guys are professionals. Sometimes you’re the backup. That’s just how it is.

Personal distractions? These guys are professionals. Sometimes you’re the backup. That’s just how it is.
I think its more giving Turner confidence and peace of mind. Neither has been the clear starter in the past year. This makes it clear and let's Turner focus without worrying about having to prove himself.

Back