• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake Campus Development Thread

230,000 for 10 days of the fair. 200,000 for 6 days of Wake football (1 day FB overlaps fair days.) 200,000 for 17 home basketball games. So 33 days account for 630,000 of the 750,000. So 332 days for the other 120,000 visits. So about 360 people per day.

Can someone let me know where the Chipotle place is?

230,000 for 10 days of the fair. 200,000 for 6 days of Wake football (1 day FB overlaps fair days.) 200,000 for 17 home basketball games. So 33 days account for 630,000 of the 750,000. So 332 days for the other 120,000 visits. So about 360 people per day.
The Thunderbirds also play in the coliseum annex. I have no idea how many games they play but I think that they are always pretty full. And the annex seats about 4000.

There's no doubt that the area draws a lot of people for many events. But I don't think proximity to these events will make people want to live in the area (despite what John Currie thinks), especially since the surrounding area lacks just about everything that people actually consider when choosing a location for a condo or apartment.

One thing that people do consider when choosing an area to live in is the crime rate. This area is not the worst part of Winston-Salem, but it does border on a high-crime area to the south. This map , which I found through a link on the WS City website, shows incidences of firearms discharged (gun icon) and assaults (closed fist) since July 1, 2023.

Crimestats.jpg

Right now there really isn't anything that puts a large number of people in that area for many hours in the day, and nearly everyday. That has to change for such development to be viable. The bedrooms in the proposed mixed use development will help. Will they be enough? Doubtful.

Seven Wake football games, 18ish basketball games plus a few fair days won't do it either.

Success will require something commercial/industrial/residential that puts a lot of people in the area daily. I don't know what that would be.
I'm pretty sure all of the space in Whitaker Park has tenants lined up, so there will be some increased traffic with employees in the area. I don't know the wages or total populations of the tenants. I think an area like this will make some money when parents are in town for Wake events as there aren't many options for anything near campus. I'm skeptical that this will all work, but incremental improvement is a good thing.

do students venture out much these days? or are they all still eating on campus? seems like some quick service restaurants like a Chipotle, Cava, whatever might appeal.
All of those things are available within 3 miles of this area.

As a skeptic of the proposed development, I propose that WFU instead spend money on improving the parking and tailgating facilities around Allegacy Stadium. If John Currie is serious about providing "the best fan experience in North Carolina" (or is it now "the nation"?), then there are lots of things that could be done to improve the fans' experience during the lead-up to a game, such as:

• Repave and improve the existing lots. Add some grass and greenery and areas that would allow More fans to set up tents wider than just one space.
  • Convert the empty space along Deacon Blvd into a customized taligating zone. Charge a premium for parking there and provide some extra facilities. Build a wall along University and Deacon Blvd. to shelter the area from game day traffic.
  • Partner with a private sector company to rent out and set up tailgating tents in certain areas of the various lots.
  • Provide some dedicated areas for fans with recreational vehicles and charge $ for those spaces.
Look at what other schools do to get more ideas. Wake already ranks reasonably high (#37) in this ranking of tailgating, but there's lots of room for improvement. It would not cost that much compared to the proposed development, and parking/tailgating improvements would fit well with the actual purpose of the surrounding facilities.

In sum, make the area outside Allegacy look more like these scenes:

WVU 02.jpg

Grove.jpgClemson.jpgWVU.jpgkansas.jpg

Last edited:
As a skeptic of the proposed development, I propose that WFU instead spend money on improving the parking and tailgating facilities around Allegacy Stadium. If John Currie is serious about providing "the best fan experience in North Carolina" (or is it now "the nation"?), then there are lots of things that could be done to improve the fans' experience during the lead-up to a game, such as:

• Repave and improve the existing lots. Add some grass and greenery and areas that would allow More fans to set up tents wider than just one space.
  • Convert the empty space along Deacon Blvd into a customized taligating zone. Charge a premium for parking there and provide some extra facilities. Build a wall along University and Deacon Blvd. to shelter the area from game day traffic.
  • Partner with a private sector company to rent out and set up tailgating tents in certain areas of the various lots.
  • Provide some dedicated areas for fans with recreational vehicles and charge $ for those spaces.
Look at what other schools do to get more ideas. Wake already ranks reasonably high (#37) in this ranking of tailgating, but there's lots of room for improvement. It would not cost that much compared to the proposed development, and parking/tailgating improvements would fit well with the actual purpose of the surrounding facilities.

In sum, make the area outside Allegacy look more like these scenes:

View attachment 5022

View attachment 5023View attachment 5024View attachment 5025View attachment 5026
Not sure of the quantity or quality of services provided, but pretty sure there already is a tailgate tent/amenities partner, and RV-specific parking on the fairgrounds.

Yeah, just get 500% more students.
Wake has been working on that for the past ten years.

Anyway, most tailgating is dominated by alumni and general fans, so you don't need tens of thousands of students to have a good tailgating scene. Lots of small schools have nice tailgating environments.

Wake has been working on that for the past ten years.

Anyway, most tailgating is dominated by alumni and general fans, so you don't need tens of thousands of students to have a good tailgating scene. Lots of small schools have nice tailgating environments.
Do you currently tailgate at Wake? The situation is already really good, in my opinion. Lots of parking, easy access, close to the stadium, and lots of tailgaters. I agree that repaving the lots would be a nice touch, and maybe a few more green areas, but the tailgating scene is already really good. I think a better use of time and money is focusing on the areas they plan to target.

Still can’t believe they cut down the pine trees in the gold lot.

The WF student tailgate experience documented in Renault's above piece:

Back