• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake Campus Development Thread

The Thunderbirds also play in the coliseum annex. I have no idea how many games they play but I think that they are always pretty full. And the annex seats about 4000.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but any plan that even mentions an FHL (now FPHL) team is a bullshit plan.

We enjoy the games/environment as much as the next guy... but, if you charge that crowd $2 for parking... the place would be burned to the ground along with everything surrounding it.

I think that the last new head coach lasted 3 days.

The WF student tailgate experience documented in Renault's above piece:

The student tailgating spot is more inviting than the Gold lot.

People pay a premium to park closer. People who pay premiums don’t give many shits about amenities. There are some dope as hell options already throughout the blue, red and orange lots. Way better than most of the gold. The areas around the perimeter of the big lots are honestly about as good as it gets. You just have to walk to to them.

People pay a premium to park closer. People who pay premiums don’t give many shits about amenities. There are some dope as hell options already throughout the blue, red and orange lots. Way better than most of the gold. The areas around the perimeter of the big lots are honestly about as good as it gets. You just have to walk to to them.
TITCR

I'm pretty sure all of the space in Whitaker Park has tenants lined up, so there will be some increased traffic with employees in the area. I don't know the wages or total populations of the tenants.
While there has been some activity happening in re-purposing the Reynolds buildings in Whitaker Park, I don't think that there are "tenants lined up" to fill such a huge amount of space.

According to the WS Journal a small medical device company called Cook Medical has agreed to take over buildings 2-1 and 2-2 (shown on the right side of the photo below), but I don't think that has actually happened yet.

When Reynolds left Whitaker Park, it donated buildings containing 1.7 million square feet of space to the Whitaker Park Development Authority. It's a lot of space to fill and despite rosy predictions that have been made about it, there are only a small number of tenants occupying space there so far.

Whitaker Park certainly has potential but it could take years for it to be fully redeveloped and its employee count will probably never equal the 15K+ Reynolds employees who once worked there.

Whitaker.jpeg

Whitaker 02.jpg

While there has been some activity happening in re-purposing the Reynolds buildings in Whitaker Park, I don't think that there are "tenants lined up" to fill such a huge amount of space.

According to the WS Journal a small medical device company called Cook Medical has agreed to take over buildings 2-1 and 2-2 (shown on the right side of the photo below), but I don't think that has actually happened yet.

When Reynolds left Whitaker Park, it donated buildings containing 1.7 million square feet of space to the Whitaker Park Development Authority. It's a lot of space to fill and despite rosy predictions that have been made about it, there are only a small number of tenants occupying space there so far.

Whitaker Park certainly has potential but it could take years for it to be fully redeveloped and its employee count will probably never equal the 15K+ Reynolds employees who once worked there.

View attachment 5041

View attachment 5042
Hasn't there also been a new apartment complex added near the new Second Harvest Food Bank location too? Cook Medical has been operating on the north side of Winston for a while I think.

I’m all for lower income housing, absolutely, but food bank and medical supply store don’t really seem to fit in, economically, with the vision of mixed use development that Wake is going for with this property.

I’m all for lower income housing, absolutely, but food bank and medical supply store don’t really seem to fit in, economically, with the vision of mixed use development that Wake is going for with this property.
I think the apartments are fairly high end, and those are adjacent to the mixed use development property rather than part of it. At the end of the day its more people living and working in a space where Wake wants retail and restaurant development.

I think the apartments are fairly high end, and those are adjacent to the mixed use development property rather than part of it. At the end of the day its more people living and working in a space where Wake wants retail and restaurant development.
someone saw Chris Paul over there signing a lease the other day

There should be a church at the focal point of the development.

Cook Medical is not a medical supply store. It's a high-tech company that builds minimally invasive medical devices.

So an even better mixed use fit, maybe some dinner, a little ice cream, hit up numbers packie, then shop for my minimally invasive medical device before heading home.

Hasn't there also been a new apartment complex added near the new Second Harvest Food Bank location too? Cook Medical has been operating on the north side of Winston for a while I think.
Yes, there are two older, all brick industrial buildings that are undergoing conversion to apartments, but not open yet. The location is Reynolds Boulevard across from Woodland Cemetery. The apartments are located 2 miles from a second-tier law school :D ("WFU School of Law"). I read somewhere that those buildings had been designated as historic buildings so they were eligible for tax benefits, like a lot of the buildings in the Innovation Quarter.

Lofts.jpg

lofts 02.jpg

Not super familiar with the location but those apartments look cool. I lived in an old tobacco warehouse that had been convert in similar fashion when I was younger and it was awesome.

Multi-story loft industrial buildings are not functional space for modern industrial users so conversion to office, retail, and multifamily is what happens to the buildings that don't get torn down. NC has a lot of them from the old textile mill and tobacco days.

is it wise to be creating new office space right now? probably a lot can be found for cheap(er?)

No, it's not. Construction costs are sky high and banks don't want to lend for speculative office construction due to vacancy rates. Every city is different though in terms of inventory.

Back