• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL WAKE FOREST FOOTBALL v. ELON thread

deacondamo

El Jefe
Reaction score
Ok guys. We have less than a week before Wake's first football game of the year. What are we expecting? How good is Elon?

Game is on ACC Network at 7 pm.

Wake should be around a 30 point favorite. Elon is not ranked in the FCS to start the year.

Wake Forest versus FCS teams since 2017:

2017: Presbyterian: 51-7
2018: Towson: 51-20
2019: Elon 49-7
2020: Campbell 66-14
2021: Norfolk State 41-16
2022: VMI 44-10

IIRC, WF is either 5-1 or 4-2 ATS over that span against FCS opponents.

Elon was a good FCS team last year. They went 8-4 and made the FCS playoffs. Elon played one Power V opponent, Vandy, and the Phoenix gave the Dores a game, losing 42-31. In the most recent FCS preseason poll, Elon just missed getting ranked as they received the 33rd most votes. In the CAA pre-season poll, Elon was picked to finish 5th (out of 15 teams) in 2023. Elon's loses their starting QB from last year, but they landed a FBS transfer who started out at.... UGA. Yes, Biff, UGA.

24 year-old Matt Downing

It has been a long and winding road for Downing as Elon is his 4th school. Downing is 2018 HS grad. Downing appeared in four games in two seasons (2018 and 2019) at UGA before transferring to TCU (so, Downing has played QB for the two 2022 FBS finalists). Downing played in 7 games for TCU (and threw 34 passes) during the 2020 and 2021 seasons. Downing spent last season at LA Tech, where he completed 33 of 62 passes for 356 yards with 3 TDs and 4 INTs. Not official, but it seems like Downing will start for Elon against WF.

Elon's pre-season all-CAA players are:
  • John Carlos Miller II: H-Back -- 26 receptions, 3 TDs, blocked two kicks on specials
  • Bo Sanders: safety -- 69 tackles, 5 PBUs, a sack, one INT and a fumble recovery
  • Chandler Brayboy: WR and special teams standout -- 28 receptions; 21 yard return average; 5 tackles on special teams
  • Jalen Hampton: RB -- 1035 rushing yards and 10 TDs
  • Jabril Williams: OG

Last edited:
Wake Forest versus FCS teams since 2017:

2017: Presbyterian: 51-7
2018: Towson: 51-20
2019: Elon 49-7
2020: Campbell 66-14
2021: Norfolk State 41-16
2022: VMI 44-10

IIRC, WF is either 5-1 or 4-2 ATS over that span against FCS opponents.

Elon was a good FCS team last year. They went 8-4 and made the FCS playoffs. Elon played one Power V opponent, Vandy, and the Phoenix gave the Dores a game, losing 42-31. In the most recent FCS preseason poll, Elon just missed getting ranked as they received the 33rd most votes. In the CAA pre-season poll, Elon was picked to finish 5th in 2023. Elon's loses their starting QB from last year, but they landed a FBS transfer who started out at.... UGA. Yes, Biff, UGA.

24 year-old Matt Downing

It has been a long and winding road for Downing as Elon is his 4th school. Downing is 2018 HS grad. Downing appeared in four games in two seasons (2018 and 2019) at UGA before transferring to TCU (so, Downing has played QB for the two 2022 FBS finalists). Downing played in 7 games for TCU (and threw 34 passes) during the 2020 and 2021 seasons. Downing spent last season at LA Tech, where he completed 33 of 62 passes for 356 yards with 3 TDs and 4 INTs. Not official, but it seems like Downing will start for Elon against WF.
Watching Matt Downing last year and against ISU in 2020 should entitle me to financial compensation.

With a Thursday night game I won't be using all my Hill tickets. If anyone wants one let me know. Free to all deacon fans. Looking forward to a beat down and easy drive back to CLT afterwards.

These FCS games are detrimental to Wake. Drops attendance, lowers strength of schedule, and going forward will hurt us qualifying for one of the twelve playoff slots. I thought Clawson/Currie were trying to change the perception of ‘’little old Wake Forest.”
Yes, I know other conferences do this bullshit but this hurts our program more than others.

That's silly. What actually hurts attendance is our shitty conference schedule and only six home games because we're playing a home-and-home with ODU.

These FCS games are detrimental to Wake. Drops attendance, lowers strength of schedule, and going forward will hurt us qualifying for one of the twelve playoff slots. I thought Clawson/Currie were trying to change the perception of ‘’little old Wake Forest.”
Yes, I know other conferences do this bullshit but this hurts our program more than others.
Essentially a guaranteed win towards bowl eligibility. Game can be on Thursday easily for extra time to prep for a more serious week 2 challenge most seasons. Don't have to open the playbook too much. Gets guys up to speed right off the bat. Home game that doesn't cost very much.

Playing an FCS game to open the season to me is a gimme and doesn't have anything to do with a LOWF perspective. I don't really understand this point at all.

SOS doesn't matter in this context. So many teams play an FCS.

In 2023, every SEC team plays a game against an FCS school.

Back