• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL WAKE FOREST FOOTBALL v. ELON thread

What do we think Wake Vandy opens at, -10.5? I think it SHOULD be like -13.5 but it probably opens closer

Funding. Musicians do not need to participate in marching band to play music. The marching is in addition to music. So scholarships, stipends, grant-in-aids etc. for marching band participation.

Academic credit. Another indirect effort.

As I said earlier, use influence so admissions provides band director with names of incoming students who list marching band as a HS activity. This was WFU policy at one time. Why did it get changed?
My son marched in the Redcoats at UGA and got both a stipend and academic credit. I agree those would help here. Much bigger school, I realize, but their band was end zone to end zone. I marched my freshman year at Wake and got some academic credit. Do the kids not get that anymore?

We had total control, up 27-0 with 8:30 to go in the 3rd quarter, then the entire side of our line, linebacker, and safety all bit inside on 3rd and 1 running play.

I could have scored.

There's a defensive term for that...we will correct...but basically, a giant hole to run through.

What do we think the line for Vandy will be? We both came out strong against lesser opponents in our first game only to let it get too close in the second half.

What do we think the line for Vandy will be? We both came out strong against lesser opponents in our first game only to let it get too close in the second half.
Would guess around WF -10. Vandy plays a horrid FCS team tomorrow (Alabama A&M); so, wildly shocking result in that game (like Vandy struggling) could impact the line.

Think that there is a sentiment among the books that WF is way down this year (a lot of it is based on the loss of Hartman). That's why the Elon game opened at 22, instead of 30. There was a huge market adjustment that took the line to 31.5 (there are sharps, the biggest being Right Angle Sports, that like WF), but WF's second half letdown may cause the linemaker to think that the initial sentiment was right.

My son marched in the Redcoats at UGA and got both a stipend and academic credit. I agree those would help here. Much bigger school, I realize, but their band was end zone to end zone. I marched my freshman year at Wake and got some academic credit. Do the kids not get that anymore?
I've said this in band-related comments before but my son is currently marching in the Campbell band. He gets a scholarship, academic credit, a boatload of swag and they're going to Mardi Gras next year to march with the Krewe of Poseidon. All of those things plus some could be done by Wake as well. I didn't count but it looked to me last night like Campbell probably has close to 100 band members - last year they were around 75-80.

Not too sure about that. The long return against Hawaii was against a weird KO formation where they overloaded themselves to the left, but kicked it the middle of the field. He has some speed, but not a forgone conclusion that we'll get torched. Carson kicked pretty well last night (at least better than we've seen in recent years).
Notwithstanding, McGowan is super quick and fast. Elon had nothing comparable. Coverage has to be excellent.

is the postgame press conference not available anywhere or am i just being an idiot?

Thoughts a day after seeing the game in person and no replay:

Defense:

- Secondary showed out. There were a couple of times the receiver was open, but the throw was off. Other than that, they played really well. They kept short routes in front of them and closed quickly. Open field tackling is very much improved. I only remember one missed tackle by the secondary. Also, tackling technique is much better - the secondary was wrapping up and not trying to shoulder chuck players down (especially one on one). If this continues, it will be huge in limiting big pass plays. We know what we have in Malik - elite run support safety, played well in pass coverage. DB of the night for me was DeShawn Jones. He played really well, stayed with his man, got a pick, and really closed out and tackled well. Rankin showed himself a serviceable backup and I'm glad he got his redemption pick - that will go a long way to cement in his head that mistakes don't make the player - you keep playing.

Linebackers - Didn't notice too much. A few blitzes. Thought Jacob Roberts played a really good game. Hazen got washed a few times, but on the whole, decent effort from the corps.

Line - got pressure (and played really well against the run) early, but seemed to wear down over the course of the game. I'm not sure we have the size and depth for this to be a reliable unit. There is some quickness though, so I expect this year to be a little feast/famine and marked by inconsistency.

Offense:

Mitch - uneven game. Clawson seemed a little frustrated by his play in the post game. He managed the game fine. Needs to make reads more quickly, or learn to just take off. Of the sacks he took, I think only one was really on the OL, most were his internal clock/decision making. It looks to me that he needs to expand his idea of what "open" is, especially with the receivers we have. a quarter step at this level is open and trust the receivers to make a play. Don't know what he saw on the pick-6. He has the defender in the air and tried to slip it past him, but the defender quick jumped and got there in time. but regardless, the lane wasn't open. I think he has good tools and not a bad night for his second start ever. Initially was a little concerned that his hesitancy was that the receivers weren't getting separation, but I think Mitch just needs to trust them more.

Line - This is concerning. They weren't awful, but they weren't good against a team they should dominate. I think a lot of it is that we don't do a lot of drive blocking, which mitigates size/strength advantages and puts more pressure of the RBs to have patience and hit holes as soon as they open (making the RBs more reactive rather than running hard at where they are trusting a hole to be once they get there).

RBs - Claiborne will be good (16 carries, 80 yards). Ellison has a sub par game (10 carries for 20 yards). I am missing Will Towns. I like his size paired with Claiborne's speed. Claiborne's blocking has improved a ton since last year, which hopefully will get him more run.

WRs - Was hoping to see more of the second unit, but we have good receivers. Grimes has improved a ton and can be trusted. Banks is next man up in the tall, contested catch position we've had. He had a great game.

TE - 3 catches for Hite and showed speed I didn't know he had. Would love it if he filled the Serigne role.

Special teams

3 KOs deep in the endzone, 2 shallow endzone, 2 out of the endzone that weren't returned past the 25. Good showing.

Punts - first couple were end over end and shortish, but Mora settled in.

PR - Morin is great - unfortunate for the one punt to bounce off our helmet of our guy who was pushed into the Morin, so spatial awareness to work on

KR - Key can be dangerous back there.

Dennis was perfect.

Overall, I think our return game looked better than it is b/c Elon's kicker hit them low and gave us time to return it, but overall, ST were a strength.
It seemed like we blitzed the 1st few possessions and basically blew up their offense. Then stopped doing it and started to give up yards. Wonder why we stopped.

I've said this in band-related comments before but my son is currently marching in the Campbell band. He gets a scholarship, academic credit, a boatload of swag and they're going to Mardi Gras next year to march with the Krewe of Poseidon. All of those things plus some could be done by Wake as well. I didn't count but it looked to me last night like Campbell probably has close to 100 band members - last year they were around 75-80.
Campbell has a nice stadium and good fan support for the level they play at.

Think that there is a sentiment among the books that WF is way down this year (a lot of it is based on the loss of Hartman). That's why the Elon game opened at 22, instead of 30. There was a huge market adjustment that took the line to 31.5 (there are sharps, the biggest being Right Angle Sports, that like WF), but WF's second half letdown may cause the linemaker to think that the initial sentiment was right.
6.5 season win total didn't seem like they think we're that down, particularly with such a tough schedule. Though I'm not feeling as good about my over bet after last night.

Back