• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake - Syracuse Thread

It's not just us, it's college basketball today just about everywhere. DC pointed out that 10 ACC teams were shooting below 70% from the line. What players today want to work on something where they can't show off....when they could be practicing their thunder dunks for the next big slam dunk contest?

ETA: And the reason so many fouls are being called is that either the players don't know what the rules are...or don't give a damn what the rules are. (And the referees are still calling only a fraction of the violations. I bet they missed 100 travelling calls last night.)

lol, people shoot the same FT% as they have for the last 50 or so years. It's the ultimate OWG myth that people today don't shoot free throws as well.

BKF, care to respond?

Aren't you the guy who said, "I never post during games" on another thread?

Yeah, that would be me. Still holds true that don't really post during 49er football games; which is what the thread you're referencing was about. Not sure what my 1 post in this game thread changes about that.

Yeah, that would be me. Still holds true that don't really post during 49er football games; which is what the thread you're referencing was about. Not sure what my 1 post in this game thread changes about that.

Yeah neither of us post during 49er games. Not sure what this guy was getting at.

WE CUT AN 8 POINT LEAD TO 5 SEVERAL TIMES IN THE 2ND HALF. WHAT HEART!!!!!!!!!!!

Benedict Bob doesn't care what others think? Just the last week's battles alone are 100% evidence to the contrary.

Kanhoji playpen time.

LOL. Are you sure that's what you wanted to say, wrangor?

iPhone added a contraction. I think you can figure it out.

You see an iPhone is like a regular cellular phone BFK. Except on an iPhone you can access the internet (and you don't even have to use a modem! It's amazing).

:). You care about all of us Bob. Or you wouldn't be here. Just admit you love us.

Not really. If anyone cares enough, they can look it up.....but I don't know what you would be looking for as proof. The statement that "people shoot the same FT% as they have for the last 50 or so years" would be almost impossible to define, much less prove. Which people? Which years? The statement is so broad and undefined as to be meaningless. However, bmoneydeac is the guy who made the statement. It's up to him to provide the proof, not me. As I see it, the only true answer would be to get the total FT% for each year for all the college teams combined. I'm not sure if such a statistic is available anywhere, but if it was, I'd love to see it.

Unfortunately, Charlie Board's ACC stats only go thru the year 2003, so that doesn't help us for the last 10 years....but his list of the top 20 career FT% in ACC history from 1954 thru 2003 only has 4 players on it for the last 12 years from 1992 thru 2003:

http://www.sportsstats.com/bball/leader.lists/Best_FT_Pct

I realize that this is anecdotal, but I saw Charlie Davis hit 64 of his first 67 free throws as a freshman at WF. He finished his WF career with an 87.3% FT total...and that was over 662 FTs in his 79-game career, an average of more than 8 FTA/Game. (If they had included his freshman year, his percentage would have even been higher than that.) In 1957, WF had the top two free throw shooters in the entire nation with Jackie Murdock & Ernie Wiggins.

Those statistics do exist. (http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/2011/D1.pdf - check out pages 44-45)

Again, the NCAA has been collectively shooting within a percentage point or two of 69% since the 1960s (The NBA is more along the lines of 75-77%). Damn that AAU and their lack of fundamentals.

No worries. I looked up the data cause I was genuinely curious. I would have thought it was close but had no idea it was nearly identical for half a century. I know the NBA just set the record for highest FT% a couple of years ago. I think basketball players by and large are better in-game shooters than they were 10, 20, and 50 years ago.

Checked up on ACC PER rankings, and we have 0 players in the top 20. Only 6 in the top 100.

22. Andre (20.95)
34. Devin (19.30)
51. McKie (17.55)
52. CMM (17.35)
57. Coron (16.74)
65. Cavanaugh (15.32)

Surprised Moto's not in there. If I'm remembering correctly, Tree was our PER leader last season.

As you know, I watch very, very little NBA. However, I've noticed from what little I've seen recently that, overall, NBA players do seem to be darned good free throw shooters...as opposed to college players, overall. (And very good outside shooters as well.) Guess that's one reason why they're there, huh?

They shoot the basketball so well that I think we should give them millions of dollars in order for them to entertain us with their skills.

I've got a question, how is this section2overalls guy regularly getting seats right behind the bench (at least according to him)? No way this guy is giving big money for those seats is there? So who's hooking him up? Someone with the AD or a big donor? Or is he just sliding into some empty seats?
section2overalls wrote:

CLT it was the front row right behind bench as usual. Man I bet that those seats on your couch are just about as nice. PS the shirt was as over as the overalls. Big success. Pictures autographs the whole deal.I'm glad people liked it. You should know even 4 or 5 that said they had switched over to IN. If you ever make it to a game come by and say hello. And they prolly won't let you down in that section so just name drop my name big boy

Back