• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake - Syracuse Thread

capamerisatalibkilla ‏@capisatalibkila 1h

@starnewsacc None of these "criminals" as you refer to them had any infractions under Dino, and the majority of the problems were under Bz.

Star-News ACC ‏@starnewsacc 1h

@capisatalibkila Maybe because they were covered up (like incident involving Teague/Clark)? Maybe that's the real reason Dino was let go?

@starnewsacc So by that same token, would you not also expect that similar incidents may have been covered up over the past 3-4 yrs?

capamerisatalibkilla ‏@capisatalibkila 56m

@starnewsacc The Teague/Clark incident was also dropped, and that's it. That's the only incident that has any relevance to Dino's tenure.

Star-News ACC ‏@starnewsacc 55m

@capisatalibkila Enjoy rooting against your own team ...

capamerisatalibkilla ‏@capisatalibkila 51m

@starnewsacc Enjoy parroting Athletic Department talking points, that have already been proven false ad nauseam.

Last edited:
It's not just us, it's college basketball today just about everywhere. DC pointed out that 10 ACC teams were shooting below 70% from the line. What players today want to work on something where they can't show off....when they could be practicing their thunder dunks for the next big slam dunk contest?

ETA: And the reason so many fouls are being called is that either the players don't know what the rules are...or don't give a damn what the rules are. (And the referees are still calling only a fraction of the violations. I bet they missed 100 travelling calls last night.)

lol, people shoot the same FT% as they have for the last 50 or so years. It's the ultimate OWG myth that people today don't shoot free throws as well.

It's not just us, it's college basketball today just about everywhere. DC pointed out that 10 ACC teams were shooting below 70% from the line. What players today want to work on something where they can't show off....when they could be practicing their thunder dunks for the next big slam dunk contest?

ETA: And the reason so many fouls are being called is that either the players don't know what the rules are...or don't give a damn what the rules are. (And the referees are still calling only a fraction of the violations. I bet they missed 100 travelling calls last night.)

chris paul spends roughly 2-3hrs on thunder-dunks every day, or so i've heard

@starnewsacc None of these "criminals" as you refer to them had any infractions under Dino, and the majority of the problems were under Bz.

@capisatalibkila Maybe because they were covered up (like incident involving Teague/Clark)? Maybe that's the real reason Dino was let go?

@starnewsacc So by that same token, would you not also expect that similar incidents may have been covered up over the past 3-4 yrs?

@starnewsacc The Teague/Clark incident was also dropped, and that's it. That's the only incident that has any relevance to Dino's tenure.

@starnewsacc Enjoy parroting Athletic Department talking points, that have already been proven false ad nauseam.
I don't have Twitter. Someone ask this moron Friedlander what happened in [Redacted]'s 1st recruiting class (Fields, Green, and Fischer). And why last year was the 1st year since the year before that he had his own recruits (and Travis, who was a beast as a soph, and CJ).

Last edited:

I just don't understand why that guy is going all out in his defense of such a pathetic coach. I remember when he posted this article earlier in the Summer.

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com/36825/buzzout-movement/

It makes no sense what so ever. It's almost like [Redacted] is his dad, or something.

I don't have Twitter. Someone ask this moron Friedlander what happened in [Redacted]'s 1st recruiting class (Fields, Green, and Fischer). And why last year was the 1st year since the year before that he had his own recruits (and Travis, who was a beast as a soph, and CJ).

I would, but I think he's put me on ignore at this point.

Let's have some objectivity (impossible when it comes to Bz, I know). Given where we were last season, playing #2 to a 10 point game is fairly remarkable. Their vaunted defense did not prevent us from getting wide open looks. We moved the ball well against their zone and got a number of inside shots. That is coaching. Admit it or not, it is good coaching.

What killed us was the lack of size and toughness inside. We cannot rebound against physical teams. The lack of size is a coaching matter too.

Coaching has molded us into a much better team than we were. Coaching has also failed to bring in the kind of inside players that we must have to contend in the ACC. The coaching is not all bad; but is not good enough on the recruiting front.

I'm not mad about how we performed-this is one where you have to give the other team some credit, and I agree about the improvement. What I'm dismayed about is that this game is in the upper 50% of [Redacted] experiences.

so somehow guys like Charles Barkley and Dennis Rodman made careers in the NBA at 6'6" (really more like 6'4") and 6'7". Yet we can't outrebound Syracuse because they are too big and athletic. Hmm ok. Good excuse. Rebounding is about positioning and desire. If you get in front of a guy and block him out, his only choice is to come over your back and foul. We lack the basic fundamental ability to rebound. We have sucked at it in conference all season, not just against the Cuse. Keep the excuses coming though....

so somehow guys like Charles Barkley and Dennis Rodman made careers in the NBA at 6'6" (really more like 6'4") and 6'7". Yet we can't outrebound Syracuse because they are too big and athletic. Hmm ok. Good excuse. Rebounding is about positioning and desire. If you get in front of a guy and block him out, his only choice is to come over your back and foul. We lack the basic fundamental ability to rebound. We have sucked at it in conference all season, not just against the Cuse. Keep the excuses coming though....

Yes, let's use two of the all time elite rebounders to prove a point. While we're at it, Dirk Nowitzki is 7' tall and can rain down jumpers. Why did Andre Washington almost kill a man with his brick last night?

Yes citing some of the best rebounders to ever play the game as your evidence. I am not saying its just the size and athleticism difference it is coupled with the fact that we don't have the horses but you are 100% right that we suck at the basics as it regards rebounding (boxing out, positioning etc...) When you pair all of it together along with a bad coach (w-l record states he is a bad coach), you are going to have the outcome you saw last night...... And the reason we are undersized and unathletic in the front court, falls squarely on Bzdeliks shoulders. But don't come in and cite some of the best to ever do it.

Yes, let's use two of the all time elite rebounders to prove a point. While we're at it, Dirk Nowitzki is 7' tall and can rain down jumpers. Why did Andre Washington almost kill a man with his brick last night?

Yes citing some of the best rebounders to ever play the game as your evidence. I am not saying its just the size and athleticism difference it is coupled with the fact that we don't have the horses but you are 100% right that we suck at the basics as it regards rebounding (boxing out, positioning etc...) When you pair all of it together along with a bad coach (w-l record states he is a bad coach), you are going to have the outcome you saw last night...... And the reason we are undersized and unathletic in the front court, falls squarely on Bzdeliks shoulders. But don't come in and cite some of the best to ever do it.

Jinx!

Of course not, and probably. Dude is a total douche.

TRUTH. This guy isn't even a sports journalist. He's basically a UNC + Duke homer that enjoys going to the games for free, his courtside seats, and seeing WFU's basketball program in shambles. His act is tired. It's clear that he wants [Redacted] to remain as coach because he knows that Wake's program will never contend for anything. Don't give this guy the time of day. He has 10s of readers.

That's the point, they are great rebounders and neither has significant size or athleticism. It is not required to be a good rebounder. Teams that want to win do things that are required to win. Boxing out and rebounding is a fundamental part of basketball. We suck at it. It can be taught. Do you think Coach K or Tom Izzo would allow their team to rebound like we do? Hell no. Excuses are for losers.

That's the point, they are great rebounders and neither has significant size or athleticism. It is not required to be a good rebounder. Teams that want to win do things that are required to win. Boxing out and rebounding is a fundamental part of basketball. We suck at it. It can be taught. Do you think Coach K or Tom Izzo would allow their team to rebound like we do? Hell no. Excuses are for losers.

Those 2 thought aren't the norm, they are outliers. Just bc Muggsy Bogues made the nba at 5 ft 3 doesn't mean any basketball player at 5 ft 3 is making the NBA.

I got it..my point remains, you don't have to be a great athlete or a tree to rebound. Reasonable size, positioning, and desire.

Do you think a top level coach would accept the kind of rebounding effort we are seeing in conference?
http://www.coachesclipboard.net/WarDrill.html

Syracuse tried when they had to. They coasted through that game and played their C game. We would make a run and they would get serious and pull back up by about ten. There was never a moment in the second half I thought we had a chance to win.

Anybody else catch Bz's post game comments?

“I told them this game is over with, learn from why we lost this game,” the embattled coach said. “The most important thing is, everyone is going to take hits. Probably Syracuse is going to take a hit here at some point.

“It’s how you handle adversity that ultimately determines your destiny. What we have to do is. When that ball is thrown up Saturday at noon, we better be ready to play because that is our Super Bowl. We really need to refocus. This game is over with, let it go. Learn from it. Saturday is the most important thing.”

http://acc.blogs.starnewsonline.com...by-no-2-syracuse-now-will-they-learn-from-it/

So Georgia Tech is our Superbowl this year? I thought we already had our annual Superbowl with Virginia Tech?

Well, I don't care what others may think, but I really like this team. They hung tough all night against what may be the best team in the country. It's not easy to keep battling in a situation like that when you get down 7 or 8 points several times. There is a strong tendency to give up. You have to do it with defense, and this team is playing its tail off on defense. Several posters have made the comment asking why opposing teams play such sorry offense when they happen to play us....giving our defense no credit whatsoever. I still say this team is getting better and building confidence with every game.....and remember, this is a sophomore-laden team. They are giving it everything they've got and playing tough, even when they are outmanned like they were last night. If I'm picking a team to cheer for, give me this team any day in the week over a team like our 2008-09 team. Who cares if they were ranked #1 in January....that means nothing. That team had three 1st round NBA draft picks...and when push came to shove, it laid down for a listless 11-point first round loss to 7th seeded Maryland in ACC Tournament, then got blown out by 15 points by 13th seeded Cleveland State in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. That team had worlds of talent, but it didn't have a fraction of the heart that this time we have now has.

Good, because I stopped reading after that. Paragraph breaks, Bro Benedict.

Back