• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake-UNCW game thread

Do we keep giving up career nights as a function of weak perimeter defense, lack of depth to allow for more aggression, or a lack of size and athleticism on the wings?

Maybe it's a combination of all three.

It seems to happen far too often to be bad luck or a coincidence.

I think mainly it's lack of size on the wings. I mean, we have zero guards who can legitimately dunk. Smith was like an Iowa JT Terrell clone last night. He can elevate and when he was hitting he could just get a pick and rise up. He apparently had multiple 50+ point games against good competition in AAU so he's known has a legit scorer. He banked in a 3, hit a fade-away from almost behind the glass, and hit 4 threes in a row early in the 2nd half. 2 were on poor shows from our defender on the pick, one was on a rebound and one was just shooting over a shorter defender. But it's not like he had wide open looks all night. He took a lot of bad shots and hit them, and they lost. He also missed a lot of bad shots in the last 10 minutes of the game.

We need a Rountree or Moto or some other Josh Howard-like player with some height and athleticism at the 3 to stop a guy like that. He dropped 16 in the first half against Maryland as well so we're not the only team to struggle defending him.

It was in a dead heat with every other tie he's worn on the bench in his tenure in the race for Worst Tie Ever.

Yes, it was horrible. It looked like the Deacon had vomited one some cloth and swirled it around. Their coach was hideous as well.

At this point it's just comical.

I think he wears the goofy ties on purpose. I'd love to see him rock a piano keys tie.

He has like four ties in his rotation, all turrible. I think the one he wore last night is his favorite.

If the board is so all in a tizzy in regards to his ties, I suggest mailing him good ones to the via the athletic department. duh.

"Yes, it was horrible. It looked like the Deacon had vomited one some cloth and swirled it around. Their coach was hideous as well. At this point it's just comical."

I may be showing my own age here, but Buzz Peterson has not aged well at all. He looked like a fat slob last night.

It is funny now to think that everyone at the time thought that he would be the impact player at UNC rather than his classmate and roommate, Michael Jordan.

It was in a dead heat with every other tie he's worn on the bench in his tenure in the race for Worst Tie Ever.

Not that bad, at least it appears to be black and gold

ap-201112211921696738500.jpg

I didn't watch the game, but on what fucking planet is it okay for Nikita to jack 8 (EIGHT!!!!) threes a game. How did he even stay in the game after that?

They were pretty wide open and made 2 of the first 3 relatively quickly. Also, he was playing well overall.

I didn't watch the game, but on what fucking planet is it okay for Nikita to jack 8 (EIGHT!!!!) threes a game. How did he even stay in the game after that?

He's one of the best shooters on the team (and the best in practice), plus he made his first 2 and nearly all 8 were wide open.

Yeah, Nikita had 8 of our first 10 points and nailed his first 2 threes. He and Carson had 12 of our first 14 points and our only field goals for the first 8 minutes of the game. He didn't take another 3 after we lost the lead and had to fight back, so I think he got the message.

If this was last year, we lose this game by 15 after UNC-W makes the run to get back in the game and go up by 4. We're not that great and we're going to get killed by big guys in the paint during ACC play, but this team plays hard and is a lot more mentally tough than last year. It's not 2005, but I enjoy watching this team and I think we're getting better.

I don't understand why Fields isn't playing more. He played 1 minute last night and while he did have a bad game against G-W, part of the pre-conference season is to get guys minutes in live-game situations, particularly freshmen. Chennault has 0 points in the first half and Fields still only got in for one minute. I don't really understand why.

The offense runs much better with TC than Fields, and has all year. That's why.
Neither has a good jump shot, but Fields' shot can come off with no rotation whatsoever--at best doesn't look good, at worst looks horrible.
TC is stronger, better defender, and can score going to the basket. He's also hitting free throws recently. Fields may turn out to be a very good player, but right now he only shows brief flashes.

The offense runs much better with TC than Fields, and has all year. That's why.
Neither has a good jump shot, but Fields' shot can come off with no rotation whatsoever--at best doesn't look good, at worst looks horrible.
TC is stronger, better defender, and can score going to the basket. He's also hitting free throws recently. Fields may turn out to be a very good player, but right now he only shows brief flashes.

I don't disagree with any of this, but Tony is not 30 minutes better than Fields period.

Nikita's shots were within the offense and I only recall one that was not close. Several were halfway in and came out. Sort of tough luck that he did not make 1 or 2 more, then he's 3-4/8 which is not bad at all.

Carson had a solid game as well. Played good defense, boxed out well but lost his legs a bit in the 2nd half. Hit a nice pop out jumper and a tough jumper out of a spin move. Still not strong enough with the ball, especially on rebounds. In the 2nd half he lost a lot of boards where he had position but just didn't fight hard enough. Still a big improvement over earlier in the year though, I think Ty being in is helping him.

His tough jumper out of a spin move in the second half could have been a dunk if he went strong to the basket. If he ever figures that out, he could be really hard to guard. Best news is he's young. I think he'll wind up being very good.

Back