• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Wake-UNCW game thread

I don't disagree with any of this, but Tony is not 30 minutes better than Fields period.

He is when he's the only guard on your team with a prayer of slowing down a guy who just hit 4 three pointers in a row...

Fields is better on defense than Chennault from what I've seen. Fields shut down that Richmond guard and prompted the comeback (which fell short)

Chase is coming on as a playmaker. TC is making a positive impact as an unorthodox pg that doesn't get many assists.

Chase is a good passer. But, Bzz has to find someone that will shut down these 30 point guards for low level teams. This is when LD would come in handy.

I honestly think our rotations and weak side help defense are much bigger problems right now than our on the ball defense. I've been shocked at how well we've stayed in front of people this year compared to last. Most of these 30 point guards really caught fire and were hitting threes with hands in their face.

Travis had one of his worst games as a Deac, but CJ was MONTE and Nikita played well.

We went on a run when we played CJ-Chase-Nikita-Travis-Carson, which is our best lineup, imo. The offense runs so much smoother.

Chase is such a smart player -- always making quick and decisive passes and cuts, and he sees the floor so well. Also, Green was pretty impressive in the few minutes he played.

That's the biggest takeaway from this game, imo. If I remember correctly, we were tied at 58 when Buzz went to that lineup, which quickly produced an 8-0 run. Great to see Buzz trust a lineup without a true PG. At this rate, I think Fields is going to get the message* even before Codi arrives.

Surprised we didn't see more of Ty, but Carson did play well.

I liked how Green was used... Buzz put him in right before timeouts (and the half) pretty consistently. Got our key guys some extra rest, and it allowed Daniel to get some run. His main attributes right now are energy/hustle/grit/etc, so playing him in short spurts is really the only way he can be effective anyway.

*The message being that if you can't pass Tony, don't expect much(/any) PT.

Fields is better on defense than Chennault from what I've seen. Fields shut down that Richmond guard and prompted the comeback (which fell short)

Then you haven't been watching much.

Fields is nowhere close to the defender Tony is right now.

That's the biggest takeaway from this game, imo. If I remember correctly, we were tied at 58 when Buzz went to that lineup, which quickly produced an 8-0 run. Great to see Buzz trust a lineup without a true PG. At this rate, I think Fields is going to get the message* even before Codi arrives.

Surprised we didn't see more of Ty, but Carson did play well.

I liked how Green was used... Buzz put him in right before timeouts (and the half) pretty consistently. Got our key guys some extra rest, and it allowed Daniel to get some run. His main attributes right now are energy/hustle/grit/etc, so playing him in short spurts is really the only way he can be effective anyway.

*The message being that if you can't pass Tony, don't expect much(/any) PT.

I agree. It looked like Chase was actually running point in that line-up for a few possessions. And it was working. He's not going to blow by anybody off the dribble, but its just the decision-making that is so critical in this offense. He'll pass with a purpose and move without the ball. He will make the extra pass and really provide fuel to the offensive flow. He'll get the ball in the corner, drive baseline under the basket and quickly kick it out to an open shooter. Its the economy of movement. He's simply an efficient basketball player.

I really think Chase needs to start, or at least start the second half. He also needs to shoot more.

I do like the energy TC has on defense, but his lack of vision and/or determination to hit find the open man when driving in to the lane is very, very frustrating. If he could finish, it wouldnt be so bad. But he can't.

I too liked Green's contribution at the end of the game, but was a bit perplexed as to why Ty didnt get more minutes down the stretch. We were getting murdered on the offensive glass. That is and will continue to be the true achilles heal of this team. We simply can't rebound. We are way, way below average in that dept.

Last edited:
I agree. It looked like Chase was actually running point in that line-up for a few possessions. And it was working. He's not going to blow by anybody off the dribble, but its just the decision-making that is so critical in this offense. He'll pass with a purpose and move without the ball. He will make the extra pass and really provide fule to the offensive flow. He'll get the ball in the corner, drive baseline under the basket and quickly kick it out to an open shooter. Its the economy of movement. He's simply an efficient basketball player.

I really think Chase needs to start, or at least start the second half. He also needs to shoot more.

I do like the energy TC has on defense, but his lack of vision and/or determination to hit find the open man when driving in to the lane is very, very frustrating. If he could finish, it wouldnt be so bad. But he can't.

I too liked Green's contribution at the end of the game, but was a bit perplexed as to why Ty didnt get more minutes down the stretch. We were getting murdered on the offensive glass. That is and will continue to be the true achilles heal of this team. We simply can't rebound. We are way, way below average in that dept.

I sometimes think he could move better without the ball, as should most of the team, and especially when confronted with a zone defense...

I like what I am seeing from Chase...

I sometimes think he could move better without the ball, as should most of the team, and especially when confronted with a zone defense...

I like what I am seeing from Chase...

We do still have trouble with the zone as a team. I think its more a function of not having anybody to throw it to inside than anything else.

I remember one time against UNCW Ty trying to post up in the zone, and CJ thought about throwing it to him, then quickly remembered that its Ty. The probability of throwing the ball to either Ty or Carson in the post and ending up with a turover is still very, very high. They just do not have stong enough hands.

The lineup with CJ and Chase at the 1 and 2 looked terrible against the press and [Redacted] put Tony back in immediately. Don't think it would stand up to any real pressure. You would think this team would have learned that cramming 2 guards like CJ and Chase into the point position doesn't work.

Not like it matters much anyway with CMM on the way.

The lineup with CJ and Chase at the 1 and 2 looked terrible against the press and [Redacted] put Tony back in immediately. Don't think it would stand up to any real pressure. You would think this team would have learned that cramming 2 guards like CJ and Chase into the point position doesn't work.

Not like it matters much anyway with CMM on the way.

This is not what happened. CJ Harris is an infinitely better PG than Tony -- and it shows up in the play by play, too. We've played by far our best basketball when Harris is the 1 in terms of outscoring the opposition.

Also CJ, much like CMM, played PG in high school. From everything I've seen and heard CMM is CJ 2.0. Much of the same skill set in a more athletic package.

This is not what happened. CJ Harris is an infinitely better PG than Tony -- and it shows up in the play by play, too. We've played by far our best basketball when Harris is the 1 in terms of outscoring the opposition.

Harris has played this year almost entirely at the 2 spot. It's helped him tremendously.

Harris is the best player on our team. He's a better 3 than Nikita, maybe even a better 5 than Carson.

Doesn't change the fact that we're a better team with him at the 2, because he is a 2 and not a point guard. We struggled against the press without Tony in, a press that had given us no trouble beforehand.

I guess that is the tradeoff. We may struggle against the press, but once we can get in to a half court set, I like our chances with five shooters on the floor rather than TC. But obvioulsy we have to break the press first.

Rewatched the play again. You're completely offbase. CJ had the problems with the press that he always has, including throughout last year. Considering the nearly 80 game sample we have of CJ as a PG v SG, what on the lords greener earth makes you think CJ is anything but a below average PG???

He is our best player by far and has improved as much as any Deac I've ever seen (whattup Timmy, Viss, and JHo), but I'll take either TC or Fields anyday.

Back