• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OFFICIAL Windy’s Wonderful World of Wearables (Uniform News and Discussion)

Do you mean the pinstripe vests with the teal short sleaves?

santiago_medium.jpg

With Burnley earning promotion to the Premier League next season there will likely be 3 clubs with Claret and Blue as their primary uniform. No major US sports team uses this underrated color combo.

Here is how Claret and Blue came to be used:

Aston Villa were the first to wear claret and sky blue. West Ham United, then called Thames Ironworks, permanently adopted claret and blue for home colours in the summer of 1899. Irons right-half Charlie Dove received the kit from his father William Dove, who was a professional sprinter of national repute, as well as being involved with the coaching at Thames Ironworks. Dove Sr. had been at a fair in Birmingham, close to Villa Park, the home ground of Aston Villa and was challenged to a race against four Villa players, who wagered money that one of them would win.

Will Dove defeated them and, when they were unable to pay the bet, one of the Villa players who was responsible for washing the team's kit offered a complete side's 'uniforms' to Dove in payment. The Aston Villa player subsequently reported to his club that the kit was 'missing'.

Burnley began wearing the combo in 1910, copying league champions Aston Villa.

Colorado Avalanche and Rapids are close, I guess? But I’ve always thought it was weird how popular this combo is in England and just not really seen here. Thanks for the history.

Colorado Avalanche and Rapids are close, I guess? But I’ve always thought it was weird how popular this combo is in England and just not really seen here. Thanks for the history.

Same…that’s what took me down the path of history of it.

And yes…I guess I should’ve included MLS considering I’m comparing EPL. :)

Danny Ings has played for Burnley, Villa, and West Ham in the Premier League. Wonder if he’s the only one with that trifecta.

i think i could kinda like them but i can't tell because the dude is covering the whole jersey

weird pic to use for the promo

I enjoy a white belt with black pants (especially when there is white piping).

But yeah, those are pretty meh.

The Phillies home light blues are very close as well. AV's new crest is much improved.

Back