• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OGB Article: The glory that used to be Wake Forest sports

There's a difference between apathy and repeating past failures.

So, have you enjoyed Wake basketball at all in your lifetime?

So, have you enjoyed Wake basketball at all in your lifetime?

Have no idea what this means. Has it been fun to be relevant in the regular season? Yes. Has it sucked huge nuts to watch us fall apart - often in predictable fashion - in the postseason? No. Has it been fun being in the news for our players knocking their girlfriends around, drunk driving, and stealing shit from students on campus? No.

Football sucked forever. We took a different approach and built a program under Grobe and won an ACC championship - a feat that should be 10 times harder than winning one in basketball. While I have zero confidence the answer is [Redacted] - I don't believe the answer is getting some washed up name to try to win top 10 recruits, chasing that "one magic year" when we finally land the right combination.

Have no idea what this means. Has it been fun to be relevant in the regular season? Yes. Has it sucked huge nuts to watch us fall apart - often in predictable fashion - in the postseason? No. Has it been fun being in the news for our players knocking their girlfriends around, drunk driving, and stealing shit from students on campus? No.

Football sucked forever. We took a different approach and built a program under Grobe and won an ACC championship - a feat that should be 10 times harder than winning one in basketball. While I have zero confidence the answer is [Redacted] - I don't believe the answer is getting some washed up name to try to win top 10 recruits, chasing that "one magic year" when we finally land the right combination.

It sucked to fall in the postseason but you have to keep getting to the postseason to get better at it. We needed to work on getting another week deeper into the tournament, but we blew up our program instead.

Also, no one wants their players stealing or beating their girlfriends, but this culture thing is overblown. Also, no one really gives a shit anyway. The "embarrassment" people talk about pales in comparison to the joke we are with our "culture crusade." We will not last in the ACC without a serious boost in talent (and coaching). All this talk about building a foundation is stupid, as at some point we will need some actual star players to even think about competing.

I don't want a washed up "name" but instead we just have a washed up no name. Let's try going after a young up and comer who wants to build a program and compete against the best. We are too shitty to get somebody like Shaka away from VCU, so we have to get somebody like Shake before VCU. Get a search committee together and get in early and take a chance on a great young coach.

I mean, I know we suck now and that's bad and all... But the "glory" that used to be Wake? Wake has made it out of the first weekend of the NCAA tourney exactly one time since Tim Duncan left. In the past 40 years we've been to 8 bowl games - 5 of which were under Grobe.

Our glory days suck balls.

If our glory days suck balls then buzz must be setting some sort of bukkake world record right now.

Is it fun to ask yourself multiple rhetorical questions and then answer them? For some. Would I find that enjoyable? No. Would I like to make fun of those that do? Of course.

Postseason games are just small sample size IMO. It sucks to lose in the postseason, but it's a hell of a lot better than watching other teams from the couch

Postseason games are just small sample size IMO. It sucks to lose in the postseason, but it's a hell of a lot better than watching other teams from the couch

Agree with this pretty much completely. Of course, 2nd weekend on... we are used to watching other teams anyway. womp womp

Bumping in case anyone cares to learn that this article was picked up by the Huffington Post.

Linky

Bumping in case anyone cares to learn that this article was picked up by the Huffington Post.

Linky

Hell yes. Sound the trumpets from the mountain tops. (And big congrats to the writers as well- quite a coup for them.)

Agree with this pretty much completely. Of course, 2nd weekend on... we are used to watching other teams anyway. womp womp

Wellman to Board of Trustees: "We heard from many of our Deacon Club members who were upset about our basketball teams continually losing in the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. We've taken the appropriate steps to make sure our basketball teams will no longer lose on the opening weekend."

Wellman to Board of Trustees: "We heard from many of our Deacon Club members who were upset about our basketball teams continually losing in the first weekend of the NCAA tournament. We've taken the appropriate steps to make sure our basketball teams will no longer lose on the opening weekend."

2cdh8jr.jpg

Back