• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

OGB Article: The glory that used to be Wake Forest sports

joseph-stalin-logic.jpg

Is this a poster from Wellman's office?

Will anything evoke a candid, honest, thoughtful response from the administration?

The administration is not going to publicly speak out against an employee or department. Even if Wellman and [Redacted] were going to be fired imminently, they wouldn't say a word.

Also LOL @ Mitchell Tague.

What do current students understand about the good old days of Wake basketball?

Just ask yourself "What Would Grambling Do?"

What do you and I understand about World War II? They know what we, their elders, have told them. Fortunately, they have even more than that thanks to YouTube, the forums, etc.

Those Were the Days My Friend:

Once upon a time there was a tavern
Where we used to raise a glass or two
Remember how we laughed away the hours
And think of all the great things we would DO
Chorus:

Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we choose
We'd fight and never lose
For we were young and sure to have our way
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

Then the busy years went rushing by us
We lost our starry notions on the way
If by chance I'd see you in the tavern
We'd smile at one another and we'd say

Those were the days
Oh, yes, those were the days
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

Just tonight I stood before the tavern
Nothing seemed the way it used to be
In the glass I saw a strange reflection
Was that lonely woman really me?

Those were the days
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

Through the door there came familiar laughter
I saw your face and heard you call my name
Oh, my friend, we're older but no wiser
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same...

Those were the days
La la la la la la
La la la la la la

The current seniors were 4 when wake won the second of their back to back championships and were in middle school when Chris Paul was here.

Fewer and fewer students are coming from traditional ACC basketball territory and unless they were a wake fan growing up or from the area then they honestly are only vaguely aware of who skip prosser is.

As Wellman said in that same 2012 interview, “[The fans] want to win. That’s the bottom line, that we’ve got to win. And when we win, everybody will appreciate Jeff.”

But for now we’re left waiting for a winning season.'"

That's as close as you're going to get to an OGB article calling for a coach's head IMO.

I didn't want to start a new thread for this so ill just put it here. How are you guys planning on watching the Kansas game this thanksgiving? I know we will all be with family blah blah blah, but other than the eating I fully plan in spending my time in front of the TV getting inebriated and doing my best to watch some sports. Now the battle 4 atlantis tourney site says that the 7 and 9:30 games will be on NBCSN which I have, but the 1 and 3:30 games will be on AXS (which TWC has yet to pick up). So that means the KU game AND the next days game vs Nova or USC will both be on a channel I don't receive. Any ideas on how to catch it?

I was able to watch last year online, I probably used firstrowsports.eu but there might have been another site too. Maybe AXS had a link to watch?

I didn't want to start a new thread for this so ill just put it here. How are you guys planning on watching the Kansas game this thanksgiving? I know we will all be with family blah blah blah, but other than the eating I fully plan in spending my time in front of the TV getting inebriated and doing my best to watch some sports. Now the battle 4 atlantis tourney site says that the 7 and 9:30 games will be on NBCSN which I have, but the 1 and 3:30 games will be on AXS (which TWC has yet to pick up). So that means the KU game AND the next days game vs Nova or USC will both be on a channel I don't receive. Any ideas on how to catch it?

Yeah, it was much better just to screw up this thread.

WFU gets fewer All-ACC academic honors because of grade deflation . And it used to be worse - when I was in undergrad, Deans list was 3.0, and about 20% of the students made it. Cum laude was also 3.0. That was from 1977-81 . I doubt that has changed a lot over the years but maybe it has.

When I went back for homecoming I stopped by and chatted up some old professors, and one of them clearly stated that at least in the accounting department, they were mandated to raise grades and curve more and the quality of students has likewise decreased.

I'm pretty sure the standards for Dean's List and graduating with honors have been raised.

Dean's List is 3.5; honors is 3.5 (+honors thesis, 3.0 for b-school); cum laude is 3.4; magna is 3.6; summa is 3.8.

For context, cum laude at Duke is 3.7, magna is 3.8, and summa is 3.94. The summa boundary is set to include 5% of graduates. Wake's is about the same (IIRC, ~50 out of 1100 my year were summa). Keep in mind though that Duke's acceptance rate is significantly lower, thus their average student is of a higher caliber.

That said, I don't think Wake deflates, but other places inflate. Silly distinction, but I never thought the work expected for an A was unreasonable, with only a handful of exceptions.

ETA: FWIW, I was the last year before the effort to raise grades within the b-school.

FWIW, Georgia Tech's "highest honors" require a 3.55 or above (I can't find how many students are included in this). Last year, Georgia Tech had two basketball players and two football players on the all academic teams. Exceeding Wake on the former, matching Wake on the latter.

I mean, I know we suck now and that's bad and all... But the "glory" that used to be Wake? Wake has made it out of the first weekend of the NCAA tourney exactly one time since Tim Duncan left. In the past 40 years we've been to 8 bowl games - 5 of which were under Grobe.

Our glory days suck balls.

I mean, I know we suck now and that's bad and all... But the "glory" that used to be Wake? Wake has made it out of the first weekend of the NCAA tourney exactly one time since Tim Duncan left. In the past 40 years we've been to 8 bowl games - 5 of which were under Grobe.

Our glory days suck balls.

Indeed. LOWF. Time to sink back into an ocean of apathy.

Back