• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ohio bans Sunday and evening votiong

Can't people get around these issues by voting absentee? No problem with IDs or long lines.

It's a big enough leap of faith that your vote counts without literally mailing it in.

I thought only southern states did this type of stuff? Damn Yanks.

I think we should have a literacy test and a poll tax. Stupid poors.

ETA- I love the Asians.

It's not that simple. In OH and FL in 2012 there were lines that lasted 4-6 hours. Lots of bosses won't like that.

It's not as simple as you are portraying it.

There's no legitimate excuse for changing it in this manner. It's a combination of voter suppression and out and out racism. The GOP in OH got their priorities straight.

I can't believe you are supporting such un-American actions.

You know what's un-American? Trying to bend the greatest elections process in the history of the world to suit your own will. It's not like it's parliament calling elections willy nilly. First Tuesday in November. Plan for it. Those people in Ohio can take out their Sharpie markers and circle that date right now. It's not going anywhere. If you care about voting, plan for a six-hour wait. If you don't care about voting, you don't deserve to cast a vote anyhow and can move to Cuba for all I care. Half the country is on welfare anyway. The least you can do is take some time to participate in the process that serves your handouts to you on a platter in the first place.

I'm not going to wade too deep into this lib circle jerk about voter suppression, but I'm just going to post this from the State of Ohio sec of state website:

Early voting begins 35 days before an election. Registered voters can request an absentee ballot through the mail or in person from their county board of elections. For specific information, including times and locations, contact your board of elections.

You should not have to wait in any lines to vote if you have 35 days to do it.

I'm not going to wade too deep into this lib circle jerk about voter suppression, but I'm just going to post this from the State of Ohio sec of state website:

Early voting begins 35 days before an election. Registered voters can request an absentee ballot through the mail or in person from their county board of elections. For specific information, including times and locations, contact your board of elections.

You should not have to wait in any lines to vote if you have 35 days to do it.

/end thread.

This thread is the equivalent of a Fox News headline. You have over a month to vote.

Seriously. In America, the goal is fairness. This maintains fairness for all. Maybe we should have a government program that sends a taxi straight to your house whenever you want, picks you up, and takes you to a polling place that's open JUST FOR YOU so you can vote. Who has the money for that?

Seriously. In America, the goal is fairness. This maintains fairness for all. Maybe we should have a government program that sends a taxi straight to your house whenever you want, picks you up, and takes you to a polling place that's open JUST FOR YOU so you can vote. Who has the money for that?

U think this is funny but this is pretty simple. 35 days. 5 full weeks. Nothing else needs to be said.

They didn't take away drunk midnight voting at the homeless shelter, did they?

OK, so why not cut the timeline by a week and keep the off hours so that those that work during the day or those that prefer to vote with their communities can continue to do so? Why just go after the voting time periods that disproportionately affect minorities?

Last edited:
U think this is funny but this is pretty simple. 35 days. 5 full weeks. Nothing else needs to be said.

Agreed. It's not like they're sending buses to Wrangor's church to make sure his vote is counted, amirite?

I'd love to see the general voting rate numbers of people in the demographics most affected by these issues (voting hours, IDs). I have no evidence but I do have the feeling these are groups which are generally among the lowest in voter turnout. Now whether that's apathy (my opinion) or systematic issues may be the question.

OK, so why not cut the timeline by a week and keep the off hours so that those that work during the day or those that prefer to vote with their communities can continue to do so? Why just go after the voting time periods that disproportionately affect minorities?

Because obvious tactics are obvious.

Back