• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ohio bans Sunday and evening votiong

I basically agree with Doug Preisse on this one:

“I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban — read African-American — voter-turnout machine,” said Doug Preisse, chairman of the county Republican Party and elections board member who voted against weekend hours, in an email to The Dispatch. “Let’s be fair and reasonable.”

We have so many pointless national holidays. Make election day a national holiday problem solved for those that want to vote on the day of the election. Mail a prepaid envelope to everyone's house requested or not 7 weeks in advance and let them mail it back for free within that timeframe. The whole debate is dumb because so few people even fucking vote anyways. So both sides try tactics to get people that are most likely going to vote for them to vote and those that wont not to vote. If democrats really want to play the game they should tie the welfare programs to voting, if you fail to vote in an election you lose your support.

Sorry, this is a horrible post.

We have so many pointless national holidays.

Such as?

Make election day a national holiday problem solved for those that want to vote on the day of the election.

Yeah, because nobody ever works on a national holiday, especially the underprivileged. Problem solved for sure.

Mail a prepaid envelope to everyone's house requested or not 7 weeks in advance and let them mail it back for free within that timeframe.

Those without access to mail? Meh. SOL.

The whole debate is dumb because so few people even fucking vote anyways.

Yeah, so who cares if some of the people who do make the effort to vote don't get the chance. Seems reasonable.

both sides try tactics to get people that are most likely going to vote for them to vote and those that wont not to vote.

Is there some crazy movement that Democrats are pushing to limit elderly white people? I must have missed that one.

If democrats really want to play the game they should tie the welfare programs to voting, if you fail to vote in an election you lose your support.

Yeah, that would be a huge score for the Democrats. Just have some sap single mom make the choice between losing her job for skipping work to vote because the polls are open only during business hours but keeping her food stamps.

Party politics bullshit aside, the goal should always be the highest possible voter turnout, period. The expanded options for voting might not be the perfect solution, but it's better than the alternative.

Last edited:
I was just pointing out how the ability to vote has become a politicized game for both sides but anyways to address your points

Sorry, this is a horrible post.

Such as?

Dumb national holidays that a holiday once every 4 years would be equivalent too.

-Labor Day
-Columbus Day (this one especially)
-Presidents Day
Hell Ozzie Guiellen probably has more support for making opening day a national holiday then something that matters like voting.

Yeah, because nobody ever works on a national holiday, especially the underprivileged. Problem solved for sure.

Problem not solved but would make the election process a lot easier for millions of people who do vote on election day, which is roughly 75% of all voters

Those without access to mail? Meh. SOL.

Makes it easier to vote, is free, and those that don't have access to mail can still vote on election day

Yeah, so who cares if some of the people who do make the effort to vote don't get the chance. Seems reasonable.

Just pointing out that people love to bitch about things when they aren't the ones being effected or even care. Tons of outrage about we need to ensure everyone can vote by people that would vote no matter what.

Is there some crazy movement that Democrats are pushing to limit elderly white people? I must have missed that one.

There is no movement to limit the republican base they do a good enough job of that on their own but like I said earlier both sides have made this a political game, drawing districts, etc... if there wasn't checks on the democrats you probably could start voting now straight party ticket for the midterms coming up.

Yeah, that would be a huge score for the Democrats. Just have some sap single mom make the choice between losing her job for skipping work to vote because the polls are open only during business hours but keeping her food stamps.

I was just throwing out a ridiculous idea as ridiculous as most of these voter suppression laws that people have come up with.

Party politics bullshit aside, the goal should always be the highest possible voter turnout, period. The expanded options for voting might not be the perfect solution, but it's better than the alternative.

Pretty much I agree with you, that anyone that wants to vote should be able to vote which should mean less restrictions not more.

That was a much more reasoned response. Could nitpick with some of your followups, but I now think we generally see eye to eye on the matter.

Voter suppression should outrage any rational American regardless of affiliation.

That was a much more reasoned response. Could nitpick with some of your followups, but I now think we generally see eye to eye on the matter.

Voter suppression should outrage any rational American regardless of affiliation.

I just find it hard to be outraged that a person only had 35 days to vote.

In fairness, some of the different precincts are a long way from each other. If you only have 35 days to vote, it's hard to make it more than three in a given day.

Absentee balloting works for some people. Voting on weekends or after work closes works for other people. I have an idea, let's just say fuck you to the people who found one method of voting that worked for them. Seems totally reasonable? Who would that effect again? Oh yeah, people who overwhelmingly vote a way that you don't like.

Basically you'd rather not have the results of the election represent the population as much as possible. Let's just give up on the people who don't want to vote on your terms? What about the guy headed up to the oilfields in North Dakota and won't have access to his mail for a couple of months? Meh, fuck him, amirite?

In fairness, some of the different precincts are a long way from each other. If you only have 35 days to vote, it's hard to make it more than three in a given day.

Hey, you're needed to cast a simple yes/no vote on the AZ Tea Party thread. I fear it might take longer than 35 days for you to cast that vote, though.

jhmd, I want poor people and minorities to vote in a way that works for them. I want them to vote, because I believe in their dignity.

And imagine if you voted for a candidate only to find out after the fact that he was a deranged, psycho, lunatic when some news story breaks a week or two before the election. Makes me wish I could see Russia too.

And imagine if you voted for a candidate only to find out after the fact that he was a deranged, psycho, lunatic when some news story breaks a week or two before the election. Makes me wish I could see Russia too.

Imagine if that news broke a week after the election? Not sure I understand this argument. Our campaign season is plenty long. Candidates are well vetted. How about we limit the airing of Super-PAC ads to 35 days? I think we can all support that.

Imagine if that news broke a week after the election? Not sure I understand this argument. Our campaign season is plenty long. Candidates are well vetted. How about we limit the airing of Super-PAC ads to 35 days? I think we can all support that.

how about no private funding for campaigns

jhmd, I want poor people and minorities to vote in a way that works for them. I want them to vote, because I believe in their dignity.

Me too, but I'm unwilling to ascribe to them a unique inability to accomplish a single 90 minute task in 35 days. I don't share your bias that they're not up to the same tasks that you are.

It was tongue-in-cheek. But I do wonder about casting votes before campaigning, however little of it, is actually done. Obviously, after the election makes the issue moot though I guess you can still pursue relief through recall efforts.

I'd actually like to see politicians restricted to only taking donations from individuals and limit that to $500 maximum. But I'm one of those fucking weirdos that believes you should get elected on your own merits rather than avalanching people with fucking asinine mudslinging attacks which have nothing to do with actual issues.

Last edited:
Me too, but I'm unwilling to ascribe to them a unique inability to accomplish a single 90 minute task in 35 days. I don't share your bias that they're not up to the same tasks that you are.

How about a 5 second task? Just check it out on the AZ Tea Party thread. yes/no vote! So simple. I believe in your dignity!

It was tongue-in-cheek. But I do wonder about casting votes before campaigning, however little of it, is actually done. Obviously, after the election makes the issue moot though I guess you can still pursue relief through recall efforts.

I'd actually like to see politicians restricted to only taking donations from individuals and limit that to $500 maximum. But I'm one of those fucking weirdos that believes you should get elected on your own merits rather than avalanching people with fucking asinine mudslinging attacks which have nothing to do with actual issues.

Those people are fucking lunatics. Almost as crazy as people who want everyone to vote in a democracy.

How about we just eliminate super PACs. I think that is something everyone can agree on.

Back