• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Omnibus Bowl Projections Thread - Belk Bowl

Maybe not bad for Wake but a second spot opening up in Orlando makes it more likely NCSU ends up in Florida somewhere, opening up El Paso. Just makes it more likely that Wake doesn't get Charlotte. I'm going mostly of replies from Giglio the past 24 hours to State fans so definitely a chance I misinterpreted.

Why does NCSU going to Florida make it more likely that Wake goes to El Paso? I think State going to Florida would make it less likely that Wake goes anywhere but Charlotte. I think Charlotte wants a NC or VA team and would prefer a 7-5 Wake over a 6-6 UVa.

Giglio. Says his Ink means "sources feel good" Pencil just options.

4ptdox.jpg

Also Believes that SC-East is likely for the Gator Bowl, which would really hurt State's chances of going there, having played them already this year.

Maybe not bad for Wake but a second spot opening up in Orlando makes it more likely NCSU ends up in Florida somewhere, opening up El Paso. Just makes it more likely that Wake doesn't get Charlotte. I'm going mostly of replies from Giglio the past 24 hours to State fans so definitely a chance I misinterpreted.

If the Belk wants State and doesn't get them because they end up in Florida, who is the Belk taking over Wake at that point? State in Florida essentially locks Wake into the Belk IMO.

From what I've heard the Belk is essentially down to Wake and State as serious choices.

If the Belk wants State and doesn't get them because they end up in Florida, who is the Belk taking over Wake at that point? State in Florida essentially locks Wake into the Belk IMO.

From what I've heard the Belk is essentially down to Wake and State as serious choices.

If ND is in Camping World, and Louisville in Gator (Because SC as opponent), it's 50/50 between State and Wake for Sun and Belk.

Who picks 1st between Sun & Belk? I think I recall Belk & if so, then State's larger alumni base would put more people in the stands & generate more stadium revenue. :-(

Who picks 1st between Sun & Belk? I think I recall Belk & if so, then State's larger alumni base would put more people in the stands & generate more stadium revenue. :-(

i don't think either "picks" first. I think all tier 1 bowls send an invite to their preferred choice, and that program can accept or reject the invite. I'm sure they have an idea that, for Example, BC is a much better fit in NY than Charlotte. Or UVA for Military instead of FSU.

Looks like the case from what Joe is hearing currently.

The Tier 1 bowls and the ACC work together to determine which school goes to which bowl. So I think that is the Belk Bowl said that they had a strong preference for one school over another, then that would be factored into the decision.

Wake will put the full court press on for Belk, State played there earlier this year, State played in the Belk Bowl two years ago, and Wake hasn't been since 2007.

Barring something odd Wake's going to Charlotte.

I don't think this is true at all. Put a big SEC name there and Wake will sell a hell of a lot of tickets.

I would think State is also putting on full court press if they see their options are Belk or Sun.

Tuscon is a 4.5 hour drive from El Paso. Playing AZ in the sun bowl would blow.

Unless the Citrus Bowl opens up.

Or Clemson makes the playoff even with a loss

Last edited:
Wake will put the full court press on for Belk, State played there earlier this year, State played in the Belk Bowl two years ago, and Wake hasn't been since 2007.

Barring something odd Wake's going to Charlotte.

In 2007 Wake went to the Belk (Meineke) vs. UCONN. You could make the case that the 2007 fan showing against a lesser opponent/lesser bowl than the year before shows that Wake fans will spend $$ and show up, just as we did in the Military last year. I could see Wake bringing 25K to Charlotte with 7-8K staying in town and spending $$, vs. State maybe bringing 35K and most of them showing up right before the game and leaving immediately afterwards.

In 2005, NC State played there vs South Florida. attendance = 57,000

When Wake played there in 2007 vs UCONN, attendance = 53,000.

I think UCONN probably would have less fans than SoFla, given their program wasn't D1 too long before that. But those are comparable opponents.

Not sure if 4,000 tickets really gives NSUC an edge. It might?

And the Charlotte Bowl has taken UNC, Cincinnati, and UVA back to back years. SO I'm not sure NC State playing there in 2015 will matter much.

Unless the Citrus Bowl opens up.

Or Clemson makes the playoff even with a loss

Clemson isn't making playoff with a loss. Bama and OHIO State would both be in line, I think, to be next 2 in.

And even if ND is out of the picture, Camping world would take VA Tech over State, right? And the problem with the Gator is SC as an opponent, says Giglio.

Any back to back rule could easily backfire against Wake down the road.

Back