• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

On An Airplane Next To A Fat Guy

Agreed. For domestic, vastly better to invest in reasonable Wifi versus entertainment. I believe that is the exact trade-off they made.

yeah and the Delta 737 I just flew to Mexico on Monday had ancient touchscreens that require about 3-4 hard taps to get it to do anything.

i actually prefer the in-seat screens so i don't have to burn battery on a travel day or download stuff, let alone hold my device

yeah and the Delta 737 I just flew to Mexico on Monday had ancient touchscreens that require about 3-4 hard taps to get it to do anything.

Yep.

No doubt the airlines that say they have avoided it for fuel reasons are full of shit, but at the same time there are definitely better ways to do it. The equipment is hard to use, hard to update, and takes up valuable room (usually there's a pretty sizeable box underneath the middle-seat). And, frankly, absent a trans-con, domestic flights are short enough that you really should probably just open up a book vs turn on the boob tube anyway.

Was on United yesterday, what a shitty airline. The Flight Attendant said the reason they took out viewing screens and music was "better fuel usage". Even if each of those screens and arm rests weighed an additional pound per seat, the total difference is about the size of one or two passengers. What a load of shit.

Depending on the plane, getting rid of those systems, which weight 5-15 pounds per unit, could save hundreds of thousands of dollars each year, per plane.

Screens are good on bigger planes (2 aisle) since you’re prob flying internationally and will be served a meal so no room for an iPad while eating.

Wait, some domestic flights are currently offering free wifi/streaming that allows Netflix, live TV, etc? I've not yet encountered that.

they should tack on a per-pound surcharge when checking in; step on a scale and pay up

Base it on pounds over what puts a person at the top of normal BMI.

That way, tall people aren’t discriminated against.

Wait, some domestic flights are currently offering free wifi/streaming that allows Netflix, live TV, etc? I've not yet encountered that.

Every Southwest flight I’ve been on for the past 5 years at least has offered free live tv. You just need a smartphone or tablet in order to use it. You have to pay extra if you want to use the internet

Every Southwest flight I’ve been on for the past 5 years at least has offered free live tv. You just need a smartphone or tablet in order to use it. You have to pay extra if you want to use the internet

Wow. American/Delta suck.

No, not Netflix. It's video/TV streaming from an internal server on the plane via the WiFi connection. Your phone or laptop just replaces the screen on the seat and can access all of the music, movies, TV (and sometimes live TV) that the plane's server has available.

The in seat screens add about 120,000 per a year in costs, and for whatever reason cost like 10,000 at initial install. So say you have a 250 seat plane you are looking at a saving of 2.5 million initial and then 120,000 a year. Average plane service years of 20 years and that’s 2.4 million there. So now you are at about 4.9 million a plane. RJ’s airline United has 750 planes, if that were universally applied you are looking at 3.67 billion dollars, or 184 million a year. Conclusion, buy a smart phone or tablet and enter the 21st. Also the bigger concern is stop riding airport carts it’s embarrassing.

Because rubes have turned planes into buses and you are paying for the cost of flying your fat ass with no profit margin.

The best part about flying is about 30 minutes after meal time when the plane starts to smell like farts and poop.

I used to fly a lot and don’t miss it one bit.

Available on every American flight I've been on the last few years.

Have never had the live TV option on American (but maybe I've just missed that?) - have utilized their selection of movies/shows. I was referring specifically to the ability to stream whatever I want via the internet, not a pre-loaded server.

Because rubes have turned planes into buses and you are paying for the cost of flying your fat ass with no profit margin.

which is why we should charge the fatasses instead of taking away my easy-to-watch screen. it's ridiculous that margins are based on weight and size of payload but passengers are charged the same regardless

I don't look forward to waiting in the lines where height is measured, ideal weight is determined and compared to actual weight (which also has to measured).

This is how Somoa Air does it https://www.cnn.com/2013/04/02/travel/samoa-air-fare-by-weight/index.html
I agree with their approach that it doesn't matter if you're tall or not, weight (of the passenger and luggage) is the driver of cost and therefore the fare.

why would it matter if you were 6' and 200 lbs or 5'1 and 200 lbs

you then the Rock deserves a discount because he's jacked?

Back