• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

Centrist Democrats push back against party’s liberal surge

“There is, without a doubt, a myth that Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez somehow represents the narrative of Democratic primary voters in the country,” Anzalone said. “Almost half of them identify themselves as moderates or conservative.”

That appears to be at least somewhat borne out by the midterms, when less-ideological candidates often won when facing purist opponents. Thirty-three of the 40 GOP seats that Democrats picked up were won by candidates who had been endorsed by the moderate NewDem PAC.

A November Gallup poll found a pragmatic streak in the party — 54 percent of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents wanted the party to become “more moderate,” while only 41 percent wanted it to be more liberal. That contrasted with the Republicans and their allies, 57 percent of whom wanted a more conservative party.

The centrists do not necessarily argue that the ideologues are wrong but that purity comes at the price of progress. That lesson, said Matt Bennett, a spokesman for the moderate think tank Third Way, is now on display in the House — which just this week held a blockbuster hearing featuring Trump’s former personal lawyer and passed the first significant gun-control bill in a generation.

“Without the people who flipped seats, there is no Speaker Pelosi, there is no Michael Cohen hearing, there is no background-check bill — there is only misery and Republican rule,” he said. “No one in the Democratic Party should be doing anything to jeopardize those seats. No one.”

Full: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.cd69e449e6bf#click=https://t.co/zzpvrNKKUe

There are two constants for me on this board.

1. Boring Doritos jokes from certain posters whenever I post anything mildly related to the Mueller investigation.
2. Snarky responses from certain posters whenever I post anything mildly related to centrism.

1. Boring Doritos jokes from certain posters whenever I post anything mildly related to the Mueller investigation.
2. Snarky responses from certain posters whenever I post anything mildly related to centrism.

Meh, i haven’t bothered you for months. But calling yourself a “radical centrist” is worthy of snark because it’s ridiculous.

GO EAT SOME LOBSTER, CHOWDERHEAD.

It’s because the idea of someone as extremely left as you being a “centrist” is laughable

I don't think he's extremely left i just think he despises Trump.

Yep. NED is definitely not far left, or left. Just a never Trumper historical conservative I believe

I assumed it was a joke. I don’t see NED as left or centrist or whatever. I think he sees the major problems with the GOP and he’s open to good governance from Democrats. And I think there are plenty of voters like him.

I assumed it was a joke. I don’t see NED as left or centrist or whatever. I think he sees the major problems with the GOP and he’s open to good governance from Democrats. And I think there are plenty of voters like him.

Yep

I suspect those are ones who say they would but actually wouldn’t so they aren’t worth courting.

Catching up on the thread I learned that catamount has the personality to match his politics, and the board never trump conservatives are still conservative. Cool. We dont have to pretend the diabetes joke was even that rough, people tag that shit in every thread i'm in, just seems weak to use that insult on a political thread.

Last edited:
There is nothing brave or praiseworthy of being a never trump conservative. You are essentially just saying I’m cool with Bush era tax cuts and murdering brown people around the globe, but i don’t like Trump’s erosion of social norms. My problem with NED is that, from my perspective, he has no political ideology to help poor and working class people. He is just making a social calculation to preserve his social status.

This.

I’ve said it many times before...my politics are complicated but PH pretty much nails it. Same for DDA. Was a long time conservative Republican (the kind who got rocked up while reading an Ann Coulter book) but have been on a good 10 year journey back towards sanity.

And yes there are many more voters out there just like me. Not enough to form a party or a base of a party but enough to make a difference at the margins as we saw in the 2018 midterms (source: https://www.vox.com/2018/11/15/18078974/trump-gop-midterms-2018-arizona-texas-never-trump)

And I couldn’t agree more with PH about our desire for good governance. I and many other disaffected Republicans are beyond exhausted with the hypocrisy, tribal partisanship, know-nothing policy objectives, upside down foreign policy and complete and utter moral collapse of the party.

I mean...can you imagine if today’s Republican Party was in power during the Depression, WW2 or the 60s?

There is nothing brave or praiseworthy of being a never trump conservative. You are essentially just saying I’m cool with Bush era tax cuts and murdering brown people around the globe, but i don’t like Trump’s erosion of social norms. My problem with NED is that, from my perspective, he has no political ideology to help poor and working class people. He is just making a social calculation to preserve his social status.

Lol yep nailed it. About as good as Moonz making a prediction about my weight or preference for salted snacks.

Then prove me wrong. You are on here preaching about electing CIA agents and how we can’t provide healthcare to all Americans. You describe yourself as a radical centrist, but wtf does that mean?

Also I rarely talk policy because it’s like debating whether to add an addition to a house that is currently engulfed in flames.

But for the record (and I’ve said this several times before), I am all for increased tax rates on the wealthy to do something about income inequality. Republicans are fooling themselves if they think they can continue to drive down tax rates while they are already at historic lows.

Back