• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

Not really sure how that changes my comment or disputes it's conclusions.

That isn't why your rent is up $500 this year, but LA definitely has a supply crisis!

Cedillo was in charge of the city council's housing committee, which was implicated in a lot of pay-for-play dynamics and two past members are now in federal prison. I'd argue that intentionally creating a bottleneck to increase payouts form developers did a lot more to cause the housing crisis than somebody who isn't even in office yet but YMMV.

Hernandez will be fine.

In general, progressives don't halt construction. Most of the time, neighborhood councils, which trend conservative or centrist, are the ones invoking CEQA and showing up to planning commission meetings where these decisions are made. These aren't progressives making these public comments, sending these emails, and blocking new development. These are liberal, moderate, and conservative homeowners, by and large, and usually older folks at that (since young people can't afford to buy million+ dollar homes in LA).

The only development that progressives typically block are that don't adhere to mandatory inclusionary zoning minimums for affordable units. (LA doesn't have the same aggressive left-leaning NIMBYism as the Bay Area, imo). The 725 unit complex across the street should have 73 affordable units, which would actually do a lot to alleviate the supply crisis in lower segments of the rental market. If you come to my side of town, I can show you a lot of new construction that has added upwards of 1000 units of affordable housing to the rental market over the last few years.

The narrative that you're embracing sounds a lot like what I hear from developers, but, speaking as a subject-level expert in this area, I really don't think that it's true. Happy to discuss more over PM, but if you're actually interested in addressing the housing crisis and not just in embracing reactionary politics, then you should take a look at the United to House LA ballot measure and the Our Future LA coalition, which represent, in my opinion, two incredibly hopeful moments in an otherwise pretty depressing field of supply-side housing policy.

I worked for a developer for 5 years, then the next 8 years in architecture working for developers. I could easily have a tainted perspective. How about talk about it over a beer instead of PM!

I worked for a developer for 5 years, then the next 8 years in architecture working for developers. I could easily have a tainted perspective. How about talk about it over a beer instead of PM!

Let’s do it. And somewhere with good pinball.

Good thing young people don’t vote otherwise this would be real bad news for ol’ sleepy Joe

Frankly, it’s too early to have a discussion about whether or not Biden should run in 2024.

The best way to address the gerontocracy for the midterms would be for Nancy Pelosi to announce she’s stepping down as speaker and Hoyer and Clyburn will be stepping down from their leadership positions as well.

Who is the progressive candidate in '24? Honestly, have no idea.

I see Pete and Newsome being discussed, and I know they are absolutely despised among leftists -- but no idea who their candidate might be.

how is it not Newsom, assuming skellington's don't come out of the closet

Why Newsom?

I’d really like to avoid California for the next round of Dem leaders except for Katie Porter.

Frankly, it’s too early to have a discussion about whether or not Biden should run in 2024.

The best way to address the gerontocracy for the midterms would be for Nancy Pelosi to announce she’s stepping down as speaker and Hoyer and Clyburn will be stepping down from their leadership positions as well.

Don't ya think that Feinstein needs to be included in that Group? I mean the Lady has to be 90.......
Fat chance that Pelosi steps away. There's one that'll they'll have to carry out feet first.

Of course. I was just talking about House leadership. I’d like to see Porter take Feinstein’s Senate seat and/or run in 2028.

Would it be better if a couple House candidates ran on voting her out? Might draw some republican votes just to watch it happen.

Would it be better if a couple House candidates ran on voting her out? Might draw some republican votes just to watch it happen.

Nah. I think that would further a Dems in Disarray narrative and force some vulnerable Dems to pledge their loyalty to Nancy.

Whoa !!! Sounds like you guys were right ! A whole 10% of Democrats who want a different presidential candidate for 2024 think Biden isn't progressive enough !!

Sounds like we need to put universal basic income and bathroom bills on the platform before it's too late !!

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/11/us/politics/biden-approval-polling-2024.html

Capture1.jpg

Back