• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Commander will kill us all

Saw a good Val Demings ad the other day. She got any shot?

No idea. It will probably be close but not really a shot. Who knows how many new Pub voters there are in the state?

The few NC US Senate polls that I've seen over the past month show the race as about even, with Budd having maybe a very small advantage. Like most of these other close Senate races it likely all comes down to Democratic turnout. NC Republicans will likely vote in large numbers as they usually do.

The few NC US Senate polls that I've seen over the past month show the race as about even, with Budd having maybe a very small advantage. Like most of these other close Senate races it likely all comes down to Democratic turnout. NC Republicans will likely vote in large numbers as they usually do.

All black women look the same?

Ongoing Dem Debacle Thread: Will Smith getting his 15 minutes

IMO if Joe Manchin is off the board for the DNC they apply more resources and better strategy for better candidates elsewhere. Even if Manchin is a yes vote on Judges he is still a net negative for the party

IMO if Joe Manchin is off the board for the DNC they apply more resources and better strategy for better candidates elsewhere. Even if Manchin is a yes vote on Judges he is still a net negative for the party

The positives of judges and Republicans not controlling the Senate outweigh the negatives of not getting the broader agenda. Either way, making Manchin and Sinema irrelevant should unite the party to get behind Beasley, Demings, and others.

The positives of judges and Republicans not controlling the Senate outweigh the negatives of not getting the broader agenda.

Your dismissal of the “broader agenda” doesn’t seem to include the notion that Manchin’s sabotage absolutely hurts voter confidence in the party, is directly responsible for political apathy and depresses voting participation.

A cliche that often gets used by liberals (including myself) on this sub regarding Republicans is “red meat for the base” -our way of dismissing the importance of a political party appeasing its voters, even if that conservative appeasement, to us, is disgusting. IMO we dismiss this strategy because A. We act as if the Democratic Party is entitled to voters, and B. We know that the Democratic Party is incapable of appeasing its own voters as long as corporate controlled economically conservative Dems are in charge.

The Democratic Party desperately needs to give “red meat to the base” and it’s never going to be able to do that until it gets its house in order and jettisons these Manchin motherfuckers. You’re satisfied with a few judges? We’ll look forward to being out of power for a while, because Judges aren’t keeping Dems in power.

Last edited:

I’m not dismissing anything. You did dismiss that I said Manchin should galvanize the party if handled correctly. I’m still perplexed that people didn’t understand he was one of the 50 votes back in 2020. #kyp

You are dismissing how much damage McConnell could do if he was in charge.

If you still don’t think the Judicial Branch is important, I don’t know what to tell you.

50 votes with these Senators if enough to play defense but not enough to play offense. I’ll take defense and work towards offense.

Last edited:

For now. But not if we elect several more Dem Senators and put pressure on them to do so.

This kinda feels like a “why don’t the poors just buy more money” strategy.

Last edited:
I’m not dismissing anything. You did dismiss that I said Manchin should galvanize the party if handled correctly. I’m still perplexed that people didn’t understand he was one of the 50 votes back in 2020. #kyp

You are dismissing how much damage McConnell could do if he was in charge.

If you still don’t think the Judicial Branch is important, I don’t know what to tell you.

50 votes with these Senators if enough to play defense but not enough to play offense. I’ll take defense and work towards offense.

Before I start replying I want to add that I edited my post verbiage to include myself, so I replaced a bunch of “you”s with “us”.

- We aren’t working *toward* anything, we are throughly defeated for the moment, on the back foot and we have no clear plan to move forward. We are scrambling. This is the exact time for the Democratic Party to reconfigure itself, knowing full well that we have taken the 90s Clintonian neoliberal triangulation strategy to its end. Roe v Wade has been the political plumb line of American politics for 45 years. If the people in charge of this failure refuse to take responsibility for it and the party doesn’t reconfigure then we are fucked - doomed to keep repeating this electoral cycle that gets worse, more pointless and cruel every time around. We can’t keep doing this.

Sure. I agree. I’m just not sure how ceding the judiciary and senate to Republicans would accomplish that goal. Dems need to rebuild. But it’s not like Dems can tank and get better candidates.

I’ll use this opportunity to plug today’s Grio Daily Podcast, “The Democrats Don’t Love You Either.”

It does a good job discussing the tension in the party between the white people who provide the money and the Black people who provide the organizing and votes.

https://youtu.be/ArRgEjVM5-c

Last edited:

I’m at a real loss to understand what it would take to wake up the Democratic Party, to break through to liberals that this system is failing us. What disaster or plague, famine, mass shooting, dust bowl drought, mass ecosystem die off will it take? The most nihilist viewpoint I’ve encountered here is the people who say “this is all we can do, this is the only system we can have” Christ! If I truly believed that I would kill myself.

Last edited:
I don't know if I trust Manchin to confirm the next judge if Thomas or someone kicks it. He confirmed some lower profile judges and KBJ, but that didn't swing the court. (I don't trust Collins, Murkowski, or Romney to confirm in that situation either, even though they confirmed KBJ).

…ceding the judiciary and senate to Republicans
…But it’s not like Dems can tank and get

We are already doing that! Calling it tanking or ceding is just baseless pride. Under this current political configuration we are guaranteed to lose, and lose routinely. Your statement is the equivalent of holding egg shell pieces in your hand and saying you aren’t willing to crack an egg. It’s done. That’s what a political cycle is. You all have posted this numerous times, the Democrats have only had control of Congress and the presidency together for 6 years out of the last 40! This is perfunctory - it’s a dance, not a fight.

Last edited:
Some of these senile Democrats in Congress should have committed Harakiri on the floor on live tv, instead they just sent out another callous bullshit email blast begging for money in $25 increments.

Back