• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

I say again, I really cannot understand people who want to live in a society that has to station armed guards around every public place to prevent the people therein from being shot by maniacs.

Seriously. Think about what you are saying for a second. You are advocating for a society that is so unsafe because of the proliferation of guns that we have no choice but to put armed guards on our kids at school and presumably arm ourselves because law enforcement can't respond fast enough to all the killers.

Do you know what that's called? That's called fucking Somalia or Yemen dude.

How about we have a society where everyone is pretty much safe from this shit because no one is armed? Wouldn't that be better? Why is it that your right to own a dangerous weapon outweighs EVERYONE ELSE'S right to live in a society where their kids don't get shot in school? If your answer is, because some old slaveowners wrote it on a piece of paper before the advent of indoor plumbing, GTFO. Engage with the vision of society you are actually arguing for and tell me why it is good.
So much this.

Seems like you should support a buy back program, no? What's to lose with that?

He supports a buyback plan except for the fact that it will be impossible to simultaneously buy back every single firearm in this country, and so he doesn't actually support.

12033108_10206353681458720_3177231351997881457_n.jpg

You can't seriously think that these people pick their targets because they are gun free zones. Because I would like to think that most places in public society are in fact gun free zones, because its fucking dumb to carry a gun around with you as you go through your every day life and therefore most people don't do that.

It's not like there's a bunch more people, or potentially no more people, in non-official gun free zones with guns than there are in gun free zones.

Because the sole purpose of the NRA is to convince the public that the government is the boogeyman while concealing the real villains...the gun makers who see people run out to snatch up guns and ammo every time Obama has to make a speech.

Image from a gun magazine manufacturer.

12072762_10156171304690515_7512682451197613001_n.jpg

"The gunman who killed nine people in a shooting rampage at a college in Oregon had 13 weapons, federal agents said.
Dressed in a flak jacket, Chris Harper Mercer brought six guns to Umpqua Community College in Roseburg and opened fire on Thursday morning.
He was killed by police in a gun battle and another seven weapons were found at his home. All 13 were bought legally."

"Fair and balanced" means presenting reasonable opinions based in facts. Apparently this guy does not do that.

Very fair and balanced article.

Yeah, the guy has basically been the backbone and go to reference for the gun lobby for decades. And pretty much everything he's written has been proven repeatedly fraudulent.

Did you read the article, or do you know anything about his history?

It's so easy to make money off conservatives. Come up with the right lies and those rubes will cough up cash every time.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mo...line-report/ar-AAf3vsq?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=HPCDHP

Laurel Harper, a nurse who shared an apartment near the Umpqua Community College campus with her troubled 26-year-old son Chris Harper Mercer, boasted on Facebook that she owned a stockpile of handguns and assault rifles, according to vocativ.com.

“And when the mood strikes, and as long as we’re tossing around brand names, I sling an AR, Tek-9 or AK over my shoulder, or holster a Glock 21 (not 22), or one of my other handguns, like the Sig Sauer P226, and walk out the door,” Harper bragged. “I find the shotguns are a little too cumbersome to open carry.”

The Facebook post was in response to comments about open-carry laws.

Harper and Mercer moved to Winchester, Oregon, from Torrance, California, around 2013, neighbours and officials said.

Former neighbours that knew the pair in California said that Mercer kept to himself, but if he did talk, it would be as if he was having a temper tantrum.

So another young punk playing with his mom's toys.

Seems like mom also has some issues and should bear some responsibiltiy for this tragedy. Jail time would seem appropriate if her cavalier attitude towards guns matches her inane comments.

Seems like mom also has some issues and should bear some responsibiltiy for this tragedy. Jail time would seem appropriate if her cavalier attitude towards guns matches her inane comments.

Uh, what crime are you going to charge her with? Being an idiot is not a crime. Neither is being a bad parent. Seems like they bought all of those guns legally. Being a gun nut isn't a crime. Neither is owning like 15 weapons. So what crime are we going to charge her with that we couldn't charge you?

Uh, what crime are you going to charge her with? Being an idiot is not a crime. Neither is being a bad parent. Seems like they bought all of those guns legally. Being a gun nut isn't a crime. Neither is owning like 15 weapons. So what crime are we going to charge her with that we couldn't charge you?

A few under Oregon law if they want to get creative to make an example out of her:

Recklessly endangering another person
Improperly transferring a firearm
Unlawful paramilitary activity

Yeah, the guy has basically been the backbone and go to reference for the gun lobby for decades. And pretty much everything he's written has been proven repeatedly fraudulent.

Did you read the article, or do you know anything about his history?

I read the article and it came across as poorly thought out and partisan. Call someone "discredited" avoids having to refute his points.

A few under Oregon law if they want to get creative to make an example out of her:

Recklessly endangering another person
Improperly transferring a firearm
Unlawful paramilitary activity

Laws like "recklessly endangering another person" is why we should all be concerned about government abuse of power. Seems like this could be used to charge someone for anything up and to allowing your child to ride his bike with a substandard helmet or having peanut butter in the pantry and not warning a guest whose child is allergic.

I read the article and it came across as poorly thought out and partisan. Call someone "discredited" avoids having to refute his points.

Someone is called discredited because his points have already been refuted.

Calling something "partisan" discredits the source without having to respond to facts.

Back