• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Don't know how far back it goes, but at least since Sandy Hook there are a few conspiracy theorists who believe all of the mass shootings are Obama led hoaxes designed to confiscate guns. Like most alleged government conspiracies, there are way too many moving parts and minimal upside relative to near infinite downside. Weird, scary, and sad.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/...stralia-has-no-freedom-when-debating-gun-laws

Co-hosts Clayton Morris brought up Australia as a place that had strict gun controls, wrongly stating that people were banned from having firearms.

"They have no gun violence, they don't have guns, citizens aren't allowed to have guns," Morris said.

"They also have no freedom!" Carlson replied.

"You can go to prison for expressing popular views and people do."

Carlson was referring to Australia's laws on hate speech, which aim to compensate those who are the victim of discrimination or vilification on account of their race, religion, disability or sexual orientation.

No one has been jailed under the laws, which differ from state to state.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/...om-when-debating-gun-laws#8tzf60iwsSTui4MS.99

Heritage foundation consistently ranked Australia as more free than USA. On phone so posting from memory without a link. May be economic freedom.

Pretty good satirical op-ed in the NYT entitled "when can I shoot my students?".

On phone now, so can't link, but worth a read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/28/opinion/when-may-i-shoot-a-student.html?hp&rref=opinion

That's pretty good.

A friend of mine from Wake posted this on Facebook a few minutes ago.

I've been trying to figure out why gun-control issues have become more important to me as of late. I grew up around guns and I'm fine with hunting (it's, in ways, actually far more humane than getting meat from the industrialized food system). I've always been anti-handgun (but mellow) but lately I've gotten way more intense about it. I am realizing that it is, in part, because I have kids in public school. But also that I've come to think of it as a national idolatry. We live by the sword. And, like all idolatry, it is based on narratives that lie.

Last edited:
http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/30725284-story

Customer with CPL shoots at shoplifting suspect at Home Depot

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (WJBK) - A woman with a concealed weapons permit shot at a person suspected of shoplifting in Auburn Hills. Police say a shoplifter was leaving Home Depot around 2 p.m. Tuesday. As he walked out, the store's loss prevention employee tried to stop him.

"The shoplifter then got into a dark-colored SUV and begin to flee," says Lt Jill McDonnell of Auburn Hills Police Department.

Police say a customer in the parking lot witnessed the employee trying to stop the shoplifter - and decided to intervene.

"The customer, who was a CPL holder, then fired shots at the vehicle," McDonnell says. "(We) believe they blew out at least one of the tires on the vehicle."

Police are looking for the two suspects, the one who stole from inside the store and the one who drove the getaway vehicle.

"I think that's crazy. What else are you going to shoot at?" wonders Jim Luxton, a Home Depot shopper.

"It's just crazy that someone is going to shoot at somebody," says shopper Ann Comfort.

Police say the best thing that anyone can do - whether he or she is a CPL holder or not - is be a good witness.

"Take down information; write down description; wait for police; or call the police department," McDonnell says.

Seems like that kind of behavior should get the shooter arrested too. If a cop shot someone who shoplifted and was running away, I'm sure he'd be disciplined / fired / incited.

^She's seen the news, cops are shooting people all the time for busted taillights and stealing candy bars! She's clear!

I'd like to thank posters on this thread for making me think about the song "Tonz O Gunz" from Gang Starr's 1994 album Hard to Earn. Guru raps about how the prevalence of guns in urban neighborhoods justifies the unfortunate need to have a gun. This line is particularly good and sadly current: "It's like you need to have steel just to feel relaxation"

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/30725284-story

Customer with CPL shoots at shoplifting suspect at Home Depot

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (WJBK) - A woman with a concealed weapons permit shot at a person suspected of shoplifting in Auburn Hills. Police say a shoplifter was leaving Home Depot around 2 p.m. Tuesday. As he walked out, the store's loss prevention employee tried to stop him.

"The shoplifter then got into a dark-colored SUV and begin to flee," says Lt Jill McDonnell of Auburn Hills Police Department.

Police say a customer in the parking lot witnessed the employee trying to stop the shoplifter - and decided to intervene.

"The customer, who was a CPL holder, then fired shots at the vehicle," McDonnell says. "(We) believe they blew out at least one of the tires on the vehicle."

Police are looking for the two suspects, the one who stole from inside the store and the one who drove the getaway vehicle.

"I think that's crazy. What else are you going to shoot at?" wonders Jim Luxton, a Home Depot shopper.

"It's just crazy that someone is going to shoot at somebody," says shopper Ann Comfort.

Police say the best thing that anyone can do - whether he or she is a CPL holder or not - is be a good witness.

"Take down information; write down description; wait for police; or call the police department," McDonnell says.

Seems like that kind of behavior should get the shooter arrested too. If a cop shot someone who shoplifted and was running away, I'm sure he'd be disciplined / fired / incited.

Far beyond arrested - try charged with attempted murder. If a cop did the same thing, he would be charged with that (see Charleston)

Last edited:
Happened at 1:20 am in the Greek residence hall on campus. Doesn't seem like a typical school shooting.

More info about the NAU shooting.
http://www.vox.com/2015/10/9/9486355/northern-arizona-university-school-shooting

A student killed one person and wounded three others around 1:20 am at a parking lot near the Mountain View residence hall in Northern Arizona University, according to CNN. Gregory Fowler, the school's police chief, said the shooting was the result of a physical confrontation between two groups of students, in which one student pulled a gun and shot four others.
Fowler identified the shooting suspect as Steven Jones, an 18-year-old student. He reportedly stopped shooting and things calmed down as authorities arrived, and police took him into custody.
Delta Chi fraternity told CNN that some Northern Arizona University chapter members were involved in the shooting. The fraternity said it "was not a chapter-related incident."
The wounded are being treated at Flagstaff Medical Center, but their conditions are unknown.

TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY SHOOTING: 1 DEAD, CAMPUS ON LOCKDOWN, CLASSES CANCELED

One person is dead after a shooting at Texas Southern University. The southeast Houston campus remains on lockdown. Houston police say a possible suspect is in custody.

We're hearing from Houston police that two people may have been shot in the 3500 block of Blodgett Street near Canfield around 11:30am. The shooting happened at the Tierwester Oaks section of the University Courtyard Apartment Complex. The apartment complex is owned by TSU and is on campus property.

University spokesman Kendrick Callis said the campus is on lockdown and classes have been canceled.

I wish everyone everywhere was armed, so that they could defend themselves from everyone else.

Back