• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

We've been passionately and emotionally discussing solutions to gun violence on this thread. What do you want?

People get emotional when cops kill citizens because cops aren't punished.

This killer was punished. What on earth is your point?

I'm sure the majority here will send thought and prayers to this woman's family.

Something about NY cops sitting in their parked vehicles getting their brains blown out. Or maybe some loony like the guy in Dallas who used his military training to take em out one by one while they protected protesters. Or maybe the cop that pulls over a driver during a traffic violation and bang bang...he's dead.

Here's one for the cause fellas.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/05/nypd-officer-shot-on-duty-in-critical-condition/amp/

so, i am a gun owner and usually a supporter. i am starting to think that the easing of regulations to get, carry and use weapons is a big problem.

in Tenn, and other states::

1. no longer need a background check.

2. no longer need a licence to conceal / carry

3. the act that people can bring automatic firearms onto government grounds (twice now about confederate monuments - what would happen if there was a conflict?)

4. road rage incidents including guns lately

5. felons have easy access to guns

etc...

i am starting to cross over to needed increased regulations. unfortunately, i can not longer trust Americans with firearms. SAD...

I've seen some passion and emotion here. Don't see it at all for this woman. Is anyone horrified that she was not interacting with anyone and received a bullet point blank in her head? Why?

stop being coy, this event was the causation of my entire post / debate.

do we each have to chastise the action to move forward with the debate? I think most would understand it was implied.

I do not believe in the death penalty period. Although sometimes in my heart I'm angry enough to wish the guy that attacked Dylan Roof in prison recently didn't finish him off.

I'm getting the feeling your asking why the cops shot the killer after he assassinated one of their partners. I hope I'm wrong.

If you don't believe in the death penalty, you shouldn't believe cops should be allowed to execute it.

Just answer my question. What do you think should happen to someone who shoots a cop?

Umm...no one sitting or standing or minding their own business should get shot. Cop or not.

We have a problem with gun violence in the USA.

riscdeac, remember that article only captured events only over the last 8 years. we have been at war with Islamic terror for 15-20 years, depending on your source.

my point of posting that article is to show that Islamic terror is not the main distributor of terrorist activity in the US, and that our access to guns (including the decrease in regulating who can get them) is troubling and IMO as big a threat as Islamic terrorism.

there is more and more hatred creeping up from the recesses of Americans. i also think the media fuels this hatred, both directions. it is a sad state of affairs.

this is a new viewpoint for me (as a multiple gun owner and regular sporting shooter).

Last edited:
It's not black and white Doc. I know where you're coming from. Shoot a cop you risk your life. Then again it depends on the situation. You're going to tell me after the black Latino female cop was murdered, the NYPD should have whispered in the assailants ear and kissed him. NO. NOT on this one. Take him down. It is cut dry and clear in this case.

So if someone shoots a cop, the cops should take him down. Is that what you're saying?

So why is it when a white cop shoots a black cop, nothing happens?

My point is don't walk up to a police car and blow his/her brains out.

Well no shit. We all know that's a bad thing to do and the bad person who did it was punished. So why is it when police walk up to somebody and blow his/her brains out, nothing happens?

Why do you expect more from the criminals than you do from the cops?

My point is don't walk up to a police car and blow his/her brains out.

you-dont-say.gif

i think we all are talking in circles and, as usual, things in type can easily be misunderstood.

conclusions -

#1 - what happened to this poor woman is a fucking shame and prayers go to family and friends.

#2 - guns, guns and more guns. we (legislators) are making it easier for these types of actions to continue.

#3 - police have one of the most dangerous jobs in America. we wish no harm on them but would like them to use restraint and view all people equally.

tenor.gif

"In a perfect world..."

LOL. There are many countries in which cops aren't armed.

I have no idea what this Colin Ferguson stuff is about and why you're talking about it.

i think we all are talking in circles and, as usual, things in type can easily be misunderstood.

conclusions -

#1 - what happened to this poor woman is a fucking shame and prayers go to family and friends.

#2 - guns, guns and more guns. we (legislators) are making it easier for these types of actions to continue.

#3 - police have one of the most dangerous jobs in America. we wish no harm on them but would like them to use restraint and view all people equally.

tenor.gif

~ANTI-COP RHETORIC!!!!~

lol, ok

so i have a question. we have a shooter at a business. some yahoo takes out their own gun and sprays at the shooter, killing an innocent. manslaughter?

We can't move forward I'm still caught up on the don't kill cops thing, so that is like bad right?

Karllllll,

Omg I'm tired of hearing how ignorant I am. Obscene? Huh? You read the stuff posted here?

Stop misquoting or misinterpreting what I'm saying. Is RW WHITE supremacy new? In this country Islamic terror is relatively new. I'm not dismissing anything. You and the gang have dismissed Islamic terror as Islamophobia and every time a Muslim commits a crime in the name of Islam you're all way too quick to start the "well if he was black he would have been shot, if he was white, he's crazy, if he's Muslim we can't call it out.

White supremacy has been more dangerous to US citizens since 2002 than Islamic terrorists in America. This is simply a fact.

I have not "dismissed Islamic terrorism". I have taken in the proper perspective.

I have never said anything "if he's Muslim, we can't call him out" nor has anyone else on this board.

Your post about the innocent cop who got shot were inaccurate and disgusting. The guy who shot her had to expect to get shot.

Last edited:
Sorry, I forgot you're just a kid. Lol.

I know there are unarmed cops in other countries. I don't know how to solve the big issue here. The system and who it favors and the corruption. It's overwhelming to me.

Fewer guns
More police accountabilty

I don't know how to solve the big issue here.

Before and after statistics and analysis of Australia's gun violence rates with regard to the National Firearms Agreement of 1996

"In 1997, Australia implemented a gun buyback program that reduced the stock of firearms by around one-fifth (and nearly halved the number of gun-owning households). Using differences across states, we test[ed] whether the reduction in firearms availability affected homicide and suicide rates. We find that the buyback led to a drop in the firearm suicide rates of almost 80%, with no significant effect on non-firearm death rates. The effect on firearm homicides is of similar magnitude but is less precise [somewhere between 35% and 50%]."

"For Australia, the NFA seems to have been incredibly successful in terms of lives saved. While 13 gun massacres (the killing of 4 or more people at one time) occurred in Australia in the 18 years before the NFA, resulting in more than one hundred deaths, in the 14 following years (and up to the present), there were no gun massacres."

Can I call a lawyer? Hey Christ or whoever you Wake Ls are out there? Help

yeah, IDK either. it's self defense in one hand but any time you fire a weapon (deadly force) you should be liable to what happens.

yeah, IDK either. it's self defense in one hand but any time you fire a weapon (deadly force) you should be liable to what happens.

There's a reason good self-defense statutes generally have a "clear and present danger to body or life" requirement to using deadly force.

There's a reason good self-defense statutes generally have a "clear and present danger to body or life" requirement to using deadly force.

does that clear you of any responsibility to anything that happens outside of the "clear and present danger"? you know friendly fire type of instances.

Okay I can agree with that. The accountability part would need a lot of work. Change starts with the new guys coming in. If only it could happen simultaneously. Out with the old fellas and In with the new under new regulations. Almost an overhaul.

The other issue is family line. Cops have their dads, their uncles, brothers, sister. Their like the NYFD. If there's a hard line mentality or a way of doing things, that's also hard to break.

Change the laws. If they don't break, throw them in jail with the other lawbreakers.

Back