• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

It’s 7 hours or so from Parkland to Tallahassee. The drive to Tallahassee is horrible.

I love seeing this solidarity between young people. Keep in mind these kids weren’t even born when Columbine happened. Several weren’t even born on 9/11. Many were in elementary school themselves when Sandy Hook happened.

They’ve only lived under this specter of terrorism and school shootings. They’ve never had an innocence. And now they’re fed up and they’re going to do something about it.

Last edited:
It’s 7 hours or so from Parkland to Tallahassee. The drive to Tallahassee is horrible.

I love seeing this solidarity between young people. Keep in mind these kids weren’t even born when Columbine happened. Several weren’t even born on 9/11. Many were in elementary school themselves when Sandy Hook happened.

They’ve only lived under this specter of terrorism and school shootings. They’ve never had an innocence. And now they’re fed up and they’re going to do something about it.

Agreed. Their courage and resolve is a bright light in this dark chapter in our nation's history.

And to all of the Dinesh D'Souza's in the world who are patronizing and belittling these kids...you look like fucking clowns. Stop embarrassing yourselves.

What the fuck people?

Parkland students face new attack, this time from the political right on social media

By Charles Rabin crabin@miamiherald.com

Even as they rode buses to Tallahassee on Tuesday as the newest and most powerful political voices for gun control in America, an outspoken group of students who survived the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High school shooting found themselves under attack again.

This time, it came on social media.

Conservative pundits, outlets and social media posters on Tuesday hit airwaves and social media hard. Some raised absurd conspiracy theories that kids who just endured a horrifying assault are actually “crisis actors” trained to stage “false flag” events. Others questioned the motivations and political backing of students who have been praised by mainstream media, Democratic politicians, gun control groups and talk show hosts like HBO’s John Oliver.

The Tampa Bay Times reported that an aide to Florida Rep. Shawn Harrison, a Republican from Hillsborough County, used state email to send a photo of two students with this message to a reporter: “Both kids in the picture are not students here but actors that travel to various crisis when they happen.” That’s false.

Harrison immediately distanced himself. “I was just made aware that my aide made an insensitive and inappropriate allegation about Parkland students today,’’ he tweeted Tuesday afternoon. “I have spoken to him and placed him on leave until we determine an appropriate course of action. I do not share his opinion and he did so without my knowledge.”

By early evening, Harrison’s aide Benjamin Kelly tweeted that he’d been fired.

“I’ve been terminated from the State House. I made a mistake whereas I tried to inform a reporter of information relating to his story regarding a school shooting. This was not my responsibility. I meant no disrespect to the students or parents of Parkland,” he wrote.

A blogger at Gateway Pundit, a far-right, pro-Trump website, wrote a piece calling one of the leading student voices “a plant.” It included a picture of student David Hogg with a circle around his head and this statement: “Son of FBI agent.” Hogg was among the first Stoneman Douglas students to appear on networks and cable news demanding tougher laws from state and federal lawmakers.

Former U.S. Congressman Allen West, a Republican who served a single term in South Florida as a Tea Party star, also joined in. In one Twitter post, he lumped shooter Nikolas Cruz with five Americans of Middle Eastern descent who claimed connections to terrorist groups. There is no indication that 19-year-old Cruz, who state records show has lived much of his life in Broward County, was a follower of any Muslim terror group.

Jack Kingston, a former U.S. Representative from Georgia who is now a CNN contributor, doubted the students’ intentions, questioning their motivation on his Twitter account and opining that they’re being led by “left wing gun control activists.” On CNN’s New Day Tuesday morning, Kingston said the students’ “sorrow can very easily be hijacked by left-wing groups who have an agenda.”

Conspiracy theorists, like the ones who still claim that the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Conn., never happened, also chimed in casting doubts about the Parkland shooting.

At least a few Republicans pushed back. By day’s end, U.S. Sen Marco Rubio was fed up with the wingnuts, tweeting “Claiming some of the students on tv after #Parkland are actors is the work of a disgusting group of idiots with no sense of decency.”

The students began raising their voices almost as soon as the smoke cleared from the Valentine’s Day shooting in Parkland, when former student Cruz shot 32 people, killing 17 of them with an AR-15 assault rifle he had legally purchased.

Within a few days the names David Hogg, Emma Gonzalez and Cameron Kasky were being celebrated as the new vibrant voices of activism.

Stoneman Douglas student greets West Boca Rotan students after march

Student Alex Wind, 17, greets West Boca Raton Community High School Students on arrival at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas march for change. Al Diazadiaz@miamiherald.com

Hogg, a senior with a younger sister who also survived the attack, has been a constant presence on national television. Gonzalez, an 18-year-old senior, caught the nation’s attention with a blistering speech in front of the Broward County Courthouse in which she lambasted President Donald Trump and pleaded passionately for gun control. And Kasky, 17, who has raised more than $1 million on a GoFundMe account, uttered the now twice-famous line, “You’re either with us or you’re against us.”

Parents and teachers of the teens say the movement is organic and that they’ve chosen to just step aside and let the kids lead. Jeff Kasky, the attorney father of Cameron, told the Miami Herald that parents are reminding their kids to “eat and drink and sleep,” but that they’re mostly staying out of the way.

He did say that a group of parents will meet Monday to strategize, that there was talk of bringing in a nonprofit that focuses on gun safety to help organize things and that he had suggested his son set up an account to keep the money in order and that they post it on a website. The kids are also being helped by Florida state Sen. Lauren Book, a Democrat from Plantation who is hosting the group Wednesday in Tallahassee and helping to pay for their bus trip up there.

Stoneman Douglas students head to the capitol demanding change

Several buses left Parkland on Tuesday morning heading to Tallahassee with studcents from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Emily MichotMiami Herald

The students are arguing for tougher gun control laws and the banning of high-powered assault rifles.

Still, as they did after shootings in Aurora, Colorado, Sandy Hook, Connecticut, Orlando and Las Vegas, the far-right and pro-gun advocates have quickly mounted a counter-attack against the latest group of mass shooting survivors to call for gun reform.

On Tuesday, even as the students were busing up to Tallahassee to confront state legislators, disgraced former Fox News anchor Bill O’Reilly decided to join the critics. O’Reilly asked this on his Twitter account: “The big question is: should the media be promoting opinions by teenagers who are in an emotional state and facing extreme peer pressure in some cases?”

None of the attacks seemed to faze the students, though.

Diego Pfeiffer, an 18-year-old senior at Stoneman Douglas who survived the attack, was on one of the buses with a bunch of friends headed to the state capitol Tuesday afternoon.

“There are people who are going to be putting us down. It doesn’t matter. Everything we’re doing, it can’t be stopped,” Pfeiffer said. “We are children and we have a message. They are bashing survivors of a school shooting. You can go ahead, but our message is going to be heard loud and clear.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/article201177359.html

I've spent the last 12 days watching teenagers win Olympic medals. I just watched two teenagers from Russia outclass the rest of the world in figure skating. Screw these crusty old dudes protecting their power by bashing children who just survived their murderous classmate.

Saw this post from someone in my hometown:

“I have been a public educator for 24 years. I am a gun-rights advocate and a self-defense instructor.

I think arming teachers is a bad idea.

The problem that few people realize is the natural human compulsion to NOT take human life. We call school shooters 'crazed' and 'mad' for a reason; they have suspended the natural revulsion we have for killing our own kind by taking to murdering children in schools. You cannot expect teachers to behave similarly to the school shooter by taking aim at someone who might have been sitting just days earlier in their third period classes.

Killing another human being is an unnatural act. It requires a particular mindset - one that few teachers have. If a teacher is faced with the necessity to shoot a student, there will be a delay in the act. That delay could prove deadly to the teacher and any students (s)he might be protecting.

The gun is not a magical defensive talisman that imbues its operator with the power to take life without consequence. Leave the killing/maiming to the professionals (i.e. the police). Let teachers teach - but give them additional tools and abilities to slow or debilitate a shooter. As unlikely as it may seem, a good many (13%) of active shooters are stopped by people (teachers, administrators, other students) with no weapons (other than improvised ones). We should focus on maximizing staff training that enables them to effectively respond to active shooters without introducing more guns to the school environment.”

I've spent the last 12 days watching teenagers win Olympic medals. I just watched two teenagers from Russia outclass the rest of the world in figure skating. Screw these crusty old dudes protecting their power by bashing children who just survived their murderous classmate.

Remember these same assholes say that we can’t engage the debate after these tragedies “out of respect for the victims”.

Saw this post from someone in my hometown:

“I have been a public educator for 24 years. I am a gun-rights advocate and a self-defense instructor.

I think arming teachers is a bad idea.

The problem that few people realize is the natural human compulsion to NOT take human life. We call school shooters 'crazed' and 'mad' for a reason; they have suspended the natural revulsion we have for killing our own kind by taking to murdering children in schools. You cannot expect teachers to behave similarly to the school shooter by taking aim at someone who might have been sitting just days earlier in their third period classes.

Killing another human being is an unnatural act. It requires a particular mindset - one that few teachers have. If a teacher is faced with the necessity to shoot a student, there will be a delay in the act. That delay could prove deadly to the teacher and any students (s)he might be protecting.

The gun is not a magical defensive talisman that imbues its operator with the power to take life without consequence. Leave the killing/maiming to the professionals (i.e. the police). Let teachers teach - but give them additional tools and abilities to slow or debilitate a shooter. As unlikely as it may seem, a good many (13%) of active shooters are stopped by people (teachers, administrators, other students) with no weapons (other than improvised ones). We should focus on maximizing staff training that enables them to effectively respond to active shooters without introducing more guns to the school environment.”

This is a good point, we shouldn't ask teachers to live with the trauma of killing one of their own students.

CPAC keeps NRA leader's name off schedule

These kids are keeping this in the news and making the NRA toxic far longer than other shootings.

National Gun Reform Group Gains 75,000 New Volunteers After Florida Shooting

Moms Demand Action, the grassroots arm of Everytown For Gun Safety, was founded after the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting. The group says more than 75,000 people have reached out online or by text to volunteer in the last week.

Local chapters of Moms Demand Action have also reported swelling attendance at events over the past few days, with anywhere from two to 10 times the usual number of people showing up at new member meetings, advocacy days and rallies.

For instance, a meeting in Maine that usually has about 20 attendees had over 250 people turn up on Sunday, a meeting in Raleigh that usually has two dozen participants had more than 350 on Monday, and an “advocacy day” calling for action from legislators in Missouri ― which about 150 people attended last year ― had more than 300 participants this week.

Also keep in mind that some of the same people dismissing/mocking these kids will cheerfully turn around and use "the rights of the victims families" to advocate for the death penalty (never mind that this rarely contains an actual discussion with a victim's family).

Minor detail that Congress isn't in session this week, but at least it's a nice day to be outside in DC.

Lots of walkouts going on across FL schools currently. Parkland kids still in Tallahassee. Trump "listening session" this afternoon with Parkland students. Town hall tonight.

Good for these kids. Hopefully this doesn't die down after a couple weeks and can help lead to meaningful change.

I'd make a sizable bet that the student leaders at Parkland won't be invited by Trump and the ones who will be there will be kissing Trump's ass.

Back