• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Trump had his charity send the baby whose bris was being held at the synagogue two presents, a coupon for an AR-15 and 100 round drum and a copy of Mein Kampf.

Trump later said he thought Mein Kampf was about going to summer camp.

Just stop. You aren't funny.

So two people get into an argument and one ends it with a gun. Isn't that what the 2A folks want a gun for? How do we know this kid wasn't "protecting himself?"

Student who was shot has been pronounced dead. Classes are still going on. That's where we are folks, kid gets shot at school in the morning, and your kid still goes to the 4th period Algebra that afternoon. This is not normal.

South Park has done an effective job of mocking this.

I had to give my semiannual talk to my class about mass shootings. I didn't give the same one I gave about Parkland and Las Vegas. I talked about making sure this isn't the new normal. I reminded students that normal can change very quickly. I gave the examples of child safety seat, seat belt, and smoking laws. I told students to make sure they go out and vote for local and state leaders who can make the changes they want to make in our society.

Killing Of 2 At Kentucky Supermarket Is Being Investigated As Hate Crime

Bush allegedly walked into the Kroger, pulled a gun and shot Stallard in the back of the head, then shot him several more times. Then he went outside and killed Jones, who also died from multiple gunshot wounds, according to the Associated Press.

Police say that just a few minutes before heading to the Kroger, Bush first tried to get into the First Baptist Church of Jeffersontown, a predominantly African-American church. Jeffersontown Police Chief Sam Rogers told reporters that surveillance video showed Bush yanking on the church doors. If Bush had come to the church an hour earlier that day, some 70 people would have been gathered there, and the door might have been unlocked, the Courier-Journal reported.

The newspaper also reports that Bush's ex-wife, who is black, said in court records that he had called her a "[N-word] bitch." Bush has a lengthy criminal record, including being convicted of domestic assault for punching his father in the face and lifting his mother by her neck. His convictions did not prevent him from legally owning firearms.

What a country where a school shooting in which a child was murdered isn't even on the front page of CNN or any of the major news sites, apparently. Sickening.

Generation Z reported the most mental health problems, and gun violence is the biggest stressor

Gun violence is the top source of stress across all generations, the survey said. About 75% of Gen Z reported mass shootings as a significant source of stress, and 72% said the same about school shootings.

About 56% of those who are in school say they experience stress when considering the possibility of a school shooting, the survey says.

School shootings are also a top concern for parents, the survey says, as 74% fear one or the possibility of one.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/10/30/he...report-trnd/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

Generation Z reported the most mental health problems, and gun violence is the biggest stressor

Gun violence is the top source of stress across all generations, the survey said. About 75% of Gen Z reported mass shootings as a significant source of stress, and 72% said the same about school shootings.

About 56% of those who are in school say they experience stress when considering the possibility of a school shooting, the survey says.

School shootings are also a top concern for parents, the survey says, as 74% fear one or the possibility of one.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/10/30/he...report-trnd/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

Just pray more

It’s important not the forget the thoughts. Those are a critical part of the equation.

Good point. All those school children aren't thinking hard enough. Probably because of the teachers' unions.

Getting a c&c permit and a handgun is such a normalized event in this country, it's ridiculous - people who never encounter crime in their daily lives buy weapons and no one questions it. We assume all gun owners are responsible UNTIL a tragedy occurs, its completely backwards.

Getting a c&c permit and a handgun is such a normalized event in this country, it's ridiculous - people who never encounter crime in their daily lives buy weapons and no one questions it. We assume all gun owners are responsible UNTIL a tragedy occurs, its completely backwards.

yeah, in PA it's just a simple application and is cheaper/easier to get than a State ID. on the plus side, it counts as a legal photo ID

I understand and accept that rifles and handguns are also tools that some people need. Where I think the problem lays is that our American gun culture celebrates enthusiasts, collectors, and casual owners, because its a big fucking business. Dipshits keep loaded handguns in their nightstands and under the seats of their car. Assholes advertise their assault rifle collection to everyone they know.

The politicization of gun culture has cultivatated a perverse and stupid cultural pride among gun enthusiasts simply for lacking fear of guns. Enthusiasts fetishize and glamourize the ownership aspect of gun culture, and completely dismiss the risks. Men collect handguns like baseball cards and the women bejewel their guns like costume jewelry. Gun culture also encourages over-casual ownership, people who purchase or illegally require a gun out of a legimate need for self defense, but don't respect the dangers of ownership, and aren't responsible.

Here's an anecdote: Just last week I was having a group lunch and a young woman was proudly talking about how she and her boyfriend had multiple guns in their house, and told a story about how she was changing the sheets on their bed while he was away and a loaded handgun fell put of the sheets and onto the floor and scared her. She laughed about it! Turns out her stupid ass boyfriend kept a loaded handgun under his pillow and she didnt even know it.

Last edited:

+1. It's completely preposterous.

If you are not (a) involved in the drug trade or (b) in an abusive domestic relationship, your chances of being a victim of violent crime are extremely low. If you live outside of, say, the top 20 most violent zip codes in America I think the chances probably fall to lightning-strike or shark bite level.

I understand and accept that rifles and handguns are also tools that some people need. Where I think the problem lays is that our American gun culture celebrates enthusiasts, collectors, and casual owners, because its a big fucking business. Dipshits keep loaded handguns in their nightstands and under the seats of their car. Assholes advertise their assault rifle collection to everyone they know.

The politicization of gun culture has cultivatated a perverse and stupid cultural pride among gun enthusiasts simply for lacking fear of guns. Enthusiasts fetishize and glamourize the ownership aspect of gun culture, and completely dismiss the risks. Men collect handguns like baseball cards and the women bejewel their guns like costume jewelry. Gun culture also encourages over-casual ownership, people who purchase or illegally require a gun out of a legimate need for self defense, but don't respect the dangers of ownership, and aren't responsible.

Here's an anecdote: Just last week I was having a group lunch and a young woman was proudly talking about how she and her boyfriend had multiple guns in their house, and told a story about how she was changing the sheets on their bed while he was away and a loaded handgun fell put of the sheets and onto the floor and scared her. She laughed about it! Turns out her stupid ass boyfriend kept a loaded handgun under his pillow and she didnt even know it.

Sounds like you are having as much sex with her as her boyfriend if she didn't know about the gun.

Back