• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

The problem is that the burden of proof is on the prosecution to show he didn't act in self defense with the others.

FD2l26eXIAMSXOq

But what about the other 3 people he shot and killed? Can a gunman "defend" himself against one person and then have free reign to kill others?

Of course, no one has “free reign” to kill anyone. I’m just saying given the circumstances this occurred in the middle of a riot, the fact that self-defense is viewed from the vantage point of the defendant (not the victim), the burden of proof by the prosecution… this is a really tough case. I think “self-defense” cases, in general, are tough to win for the State. In a lot of jurisdictions the State has to prove a negative - i.e., the Defendant did not act in self-defense. They’re even tougher when at least one of the victims have a gun and it occurs in the middle of a riot with, presumably, other violent acts occurring.

I get everyone’s issue with Rittenhouse and I’m not saying he shouldn’t be prosecuted. But, if you take the political drama away from this case and look at it objectively, it’s a tough one for the State.

Of course, no one has “free reign” to kill anyone. I’m just saying given the circumstances this occurred in the middle of a riot, the fact that self-defense is viewed from the vantage point of the defendant (not the victim), the burden of proof by the prosecution… this is a really tough case. I think “self-defense” cases, in general, are tough to win for the State. In a lot of jurisdictions the State has to prove a negative - i.e., the Defendant did not act in self-defense. They’re even tougher when at least one of the victims have a gun and it occurs in the middle of a riot with, presumably, other violent acts occurring.

I get everyone’s issue with Rittenhouse and I’m not saying he shouldn’t be prosecuted. But, if you take the political drama away from this case and look at it objectively, it’s a tough one for the State.

It's almost like riots have unintended consequences...

It's almost like riots have unintended consequences...

LOL. I doubt “Antifa” could get away with killing 3 unarmed people at a “riot.”

And I wouldn’t say a white guy not being punished for killing some is just the consequence of Kenosha protests. It was the cause as well.

LOL. I doubt “Antifa” could get away with killing 3 unarmed people at a “riot.”

And I wouldn’t say a white guy not being punished for killing some is just the consequence of Kenosha protests. It was the cause as well.

Rittenhouse has not gotten away with anything yet. He is currently in a trial where he can be convicted of murder(s). That is no minor consequence. I’m just thinking he will get acquitted because it’s a tough case to prove, but that’s just one person’s opinion and, if that happens, I don’t see that as a failure of the justice system.

It’s a failure if any random schmo can bring a gun to a protest and kill people with support of an entire political party and the legal system. This is a model for the future.

It’s a failure if any random schmo can bring a gun to a protest and kill people with support of an entire political party and the legal system. This is a model for the future.

He’s being prosecuted for murder, so I wouldn’t say he has the support of the legal system. A jury’s acquittal doesn’t mean the system failed or the system supported him. It just means the jury had a reasonable doubt as to what happened.

Now, the support of a political party is another issue.

Does Mayor Pete get blamed every time "High Hopes" is played at the middle school sock-hop?

Well considering it’s Trump’s campaign song…

It’s been a conservative anthem for a while now. I remember when it wasn’t that political.

Back