• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

I don’t know who the fuck you’re talking to - I’ve never been to Kenosha, but it’s awfully fucking telling about your mindset that you are feeling threatened by the mere idea that leftists might arm themselves against fascists.

I'm talking to you and your advocacy of wannabe vigilantism to obtain the ends you feel are justified.

anyone suggesting the solution is more violence is way off into crazy town.

“Solution” to what? Kyle Rittenhouse certainly found the “solution” to his self-defense, a semi-automatic rifle and training with it. If it were not a solution for his safety he would be dead, or declared guilty. All I have stated here in this thread is that *other people* who also feel the need to involve themselves in such dangerous activities will also seek the same *solution* as Kyle did.

Over and over again, moderates such as yourself seek to equivocate between extremists on the right and left? Is it not then natural that both sides should adopt the same cavalier methods and callousness towards violence?

There is simply too much contrary evidence for anyone reasonable to remove political and cultural circumstances from their understanding of this trial. Citizens who are acting with extreme prejudice on behalf of the state, officially or unofficially, are not subject to the same legal consequences as those who are protesting the state. Those protesting the state can either submit to this bias or they can disregard the state altogether.

I think Rittenhouse committed murder and should never set foot outside as a free man again. But he is going to. And whether you think it's because of racism, a right-wing smokescreen, because one of the victims pointed a gun at him, or a combination of those factors...it doesn't justify any more armed violence. We shouldn't have any at all. Not fucking riots, armed protestors, vigilanteism, all of it.

LK, frankly you’re engaging in the jh practice of being selectively critical without presenting any actual solutions. What’s the right way to protest that lead to actual change?

“Solution” to what? Kyle Rittenhouse certainly found the “solution” to his self-defense, a semi-automatic rifle and training with it. If it were not a solution for his safety he would be dead, or declared guilty. All I have stated here in this thread is that *other people* who also feel the need to involve themselves in such dangerous activities will also seek the same *solution* as Kyle did.

Over and over again, moderates such as yourself seek to equivocate between extremists on the right and left? Is it not then natural that both sides should adopt the same cavalier methods and callousness towards violence?

There is simply too much contrary evidence for anyone reasonable to remove political and cultural circumstances from their understanding of this trial. Citizens who are acting with extreme prejudice on behalf of the state, officially or unofficially, are not subject to the same legal consequences as those who are protesting the state. Those protesting the state can either submit to this bias or they can disregard the state altogether.

If your solution is more armed idiots with guns going after the other armed idiots then you are describing the inflection point where the extremists on both sides have met.

If your position is that people will gravitate towards that solution, I'm inclined to believe you, but I may have misinterpreted your post as endorsing that approach instead of just observing it as a possibility.

LK, frankly you’re engaging in the jh practice of being selectively critical without presenting any actual solutions. What’s the right way to protest that lead to actual change?

The only solution that leads to "actual change" is to vote. Riots and property destruction and violence do nothing to service that solution.

I'm being called selectively critical by someone who cannot recognize that rioting and violence are objectively wrong.

I may have misinterpreted your post as endorsing that approach instead of just observing it as a possibility.

What does it mean about you as an American, as human, when you “endorse” non-violence between adversaries, knowing that one of those adversaries will always choose violence against the other. In effect, you are just damning whoever submits to the law. To put it much more succintly: No Justice, no Peace.

lol if only we had voted hard enough to keep Kyle’s mom from dropping off her little tyke in Kenosha with his hunting rifle.

lol if only we had voted hard enough to keep Kyle’s mom from dropping off her little tyke in Kenosha with his hunting rifle.

Maybe if people rooted harder it would have convinced him of the error of his ways and changed his mind.

100%.

Your turn. Is it objectively wrong to violently riot and destroy property?

That's incredibly general, but largely no. It is not objectively wrong for a subjugated/oppressed/etc. population to use violence to achieve liberation.

For example, if a population suffers at the hands of state-sponsored violence, I don't think it's objectively wrong to use violence to resist their political state.

Where did I say it was worse? You're falling into the same bullshit trap jh always tries to set. The "oh you haven't condemned it enough lately..." nonsense. Everything always has to be ranked vs something else for effect in that world.

I'm comfortable saying the murder is way worse and also saying the rioting and destruction of property is disgusting in its own right. And anyone suggesting the solution is more violence is way off into crazy town.

Enough with the lavish praise, you guys. Get a room.

Back