• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

Thinking this weekend of all the brave men and women who gave their life in service to this Country.
And how pissed I am at the ignorance of the gun lobby.

I’m thinking of the thousands of people who didn’t volunteer to go to war. I’m thinking of the thousands of people who just went to school, went to the movies, went to the store, went to a concert, went to a party, went to the gym, went to charm, went to the club, went home and died from gun violence in a country those brave men and women supposedly died to protect.

What did they die for?

Last edited:
Thinking this weekend of all the brave men and women who gave their life in service to this Country.
And how pissed I am at the ignorance of the gun lobby.

It's not ignorance pop. They know what they are doing. Making money off of the blood of children.

Their products aren’t sold without people dying. Events like this are good for business. Gotta get mine before the libs make ‘em illegal.

This study is from 2021 but I saw it today for the first time (JAMA online bumped it up after the school shooting this week). https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja..._campaign=jama_network&cmp=1&utm_medium=email

The authors examined all US school shootings from 1980 to 2019 to determine if having an armed security guard at the school was helpful in decreasing deaths. It was not - in fact, having an armed officer was associated with an increased death rate. The only factor that was more predictive of increased death rates was the type of gun used by the shooter.

I haven't read the last 6 or 7 pages because they were just angering me and were too depressing, but felt like these things would be interesting to those who post here:

(It looks like the images are posting as thumbnails, so just click the pic to take you to the enlarged versions):

Just got home from visiting my parents. We all live in a small town in NC.

My mom made me remove the BLM sticker from my rear window because she was afraid I'd be shot in public, and since I drive my nephew around, I felt she was probably right, even though it hurt to do so. (Not that my life or the sticker in any way means anything in the big picture of this or BLM).

It's amazing to me that anyone with a social conscience has to live in fear of all the right wing wack jobs in the world. Like legit we're afraid of them. Which is what they want. What a time to be surrounded by such awful people

It's amazing to me that anyone with a social conscience has to live in fear of all the right wing wack jobs in the world. Like legit we're afraid of them. Which is what they want. What a time to be surrounded by such awful people

Some of us have always been afraid of them. They’ve just expanded their fear campaign and have easier access to weapons.

Some of us have always been afraid of them. They’ve just expanded their fear campaign and have easier access to weapons.

Thank you for saying that. I realized as I typed it that while this is a new phenomenon for me, it's not that way for others.

Apologies again if anyone has already posted, but there are a couple of marches about gun control/violence/etc scheduled in a couple of weeks.

March For Our Lives

"This policy agenda is rooted in our community’s calls for safety, grounded in the perspectives of gun violence survivors and their families, and bolstered by robust policy analysis and conversation. It interweaves the underlying forces we believe fuel gun violence -- gun glorification, political apathy, poverty, armed supremacy and our country’s mental health crisis -- and points to specific policy priorities for our movement."

March For Our Lives Charlotte, NC
MARCH FOR OUR LIVES
June 11, 2022 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM ET
First Ward Park, 301 E 7th St, Charlotte, NC 28202

March For Our Lives Winston Salem, NC
MARCH FOR OUR LIVES
June 12, 2022 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM ET
Winston Salem, Downtown, Winston Salem, NC 27104

March For Our Lives Raleigh, NC
MARCH FOR OUR LIVES
June 11, 2022 10:00 AM - 12:30 PM ET
Halifax Mall, 200 N Salisbury St, Raleigh, NC 27603

thread:

what the fuck is the point of continuing to have the Lt Governor as a separately elected position? this guy is a fucking moron and a disgrace to the state.

Back