• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

“As Patrick Blanchfield, author of the forthcoming “Gunpower: The Structure of American Violence,” noted on Twitter, “U.S. police are trained to maximize control over situations while minimizing their personal risk. That translates into beating parents while a rampage shooter executes their children…”

44 minutes of 911 calls from kids begging for help. Jesus fucking Christ.

44 minutes of 911 calls from kids begging for help. Jesus fucking Christ.
i'm old enough to remember when Greg Abbott said that it was the quick response of the police that saved lives or it would have been worse

The police are giving gun rights people and manufacturers an out here. This incident can be written off and incompetent policing and not a gun access issue. The media is going to go all in on the shitty Uvalde police force and gun control momentum will wither. I guess gun control momentum was going to wither regardless, so whatever, nevermind.

I'm sure that will be the gun rights pitch along with the woman who shot a guy with an AR-15. It's up to everyone else not to get baited into a false choice between criticizing gun proliferation or policing.

Given the GOP's ever-escalating war on public school teachers this actually makes sense for them. At least one of the teachers who was killed literally threw herself over some of the kids trying to protect them, but the blame for the shooting still lies with a teacher who left a door propped open, not with the Uvalde cops who - despite having training for just such a scenario - still stood around for about an hour doing nothing.

Does the Good Guy with a Gun scenario for Uvalde involve the parents shooting the cops that are restraining them and rushing into the school?

19 cops stood in the hallway and did...nothing.

I guess when we normalize school shooting, we have to treat survivors as heroes instead of victims.

Back