• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

The Violence Policy Center? Really? But the money from George Soros and the Joyce Foundation is nothing? You have to do better than that...

Two quotes out of a 1000 word article. The numbers were done by the author of the article and the IRS, but don't let the fact that multiple independent articles come up with the same numbers.

Here's another article from The Atlantic that supports my premise:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...might-be-just-another-corporate-front/267244/

If I came up with twenty more national articles, it wouldn't matter. To you facts are irrelevant. You are totally brainwashed.

Two quotes out of a 1000 word article. The numbers were done by the author of the article and the IRS, but don't let the fact that multiple independent articles come up with the same numbers.

Here's another article from The Atlantic that supports my premise:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...might-be-just-another-corporate-front/267244/

So allowing anyone to buy a hundred guns in VA, drive to NY or Chicago and sell them to gangbangers is OK with you since they would be "private sales".

No sense doing background checks or prosecuting the people for arming criminals.

The NRA wants to protect the straw purchasers that lead the deaths of so many innocent Americans as long as the gun manufacturers can make their profit.

If I came up with twenty more national articles, it wouldn't matter. To you facts are irrelevant. You are totally brainwashed.

You think those words you posted are true, and they simply are not. Post laws how they are, instead of innuendo. Otherwise, knock off...

tumblr_md3wamlsgC1rd8sq6o1_500.gif

"RICHMOND – A Senate bill increasing the penalties for “strawman” purchasing of firearms was meant to raise awareness about the enforcement of gun laws, said Sen. Tom Garrett, R-Lynchburg.

Senate bill 1378, passed by the Senate on Friday, would increase the penalty for knowingly providing a firearm to someone who was not allowed to own one, whether for mental health or criminal history reasons. It would also increase the penalty for purchasing a firearm with the intent to sell to someone who was not allowed to own a firearm, known as strawman purchasing.

The bill was introduced to the Senate by Garrett at the request of Gov. Bob McDonnell.

“Ultimately, will this bill stop [scenarios like the Newtown shootings], from ever happening again? The answer is, I’m afraid not, tragically,” Garrett said. “However, it may stop it from happening again in one instance or another.”

Garrett said the bill will also bring attention to another aspect of the problem: that gun laws are in place, but until it is ensured that they are enforced, criminals cannot be prevented from getting guns.

“Just because the law says [mentally ill people and criminals] can’t have [firearms], doesn’t mean that they can’t get them,” he said.

The bill does not create new code in Virginia, but increases the current penalty for straw purchases from a one to five year sentence a two to ten year sentence. Currently, there is no federal law against straw purchasing of firearms, Garrett said.

Regarding second amendment rights, he said, “While I’m not concerned with controlling the behavior of law-abiding citizens, I am concerned with controlling the behavior of criminals.”

From Esquire, April 3, 2013:

"The NRA is not a citizen's organization. It's a trade lobby for the guns-and-ammo manufacturers, and they'd sell an atomic bomb to Charlie Manson if it meant another couple of million dollars. They want every dime that can be made. If it weren't background checks, it'd be something else. This isn't about the Constitution. It's about something much more American — money."

Just because you read something that says it is not so, does not mean it is so.

The bill does not create new code in Virginia, but increases the current penalty for straw purchases from a one to five year sentence a two to ten year sentence. Currently, there is no federal law against straw purchasing of firearms, Garrett said.

There is no federal law. Why does the NRA oppose such laws?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/16/sarah-palin-background-checks_n_3091643.html

Sarah Palin weighs in. Pat Toomey knows he can't win PA after getting crushed in the Philly suburbs. Dems need 17 seats in the House to gain control, so they want to force every 'Pub incumbent from a suburban district to vote against background checks. Conversely GOP would like to have Dem Senate incumbents from red states voting for additional gun control. Filibuster allows vulnerable Dems to avoid a vote that would hurt them in 2014. GOP can filibuster in the Senate, but it better be only by Senators in deep red seats. Gun lobby versions of Akin, Mourdock, O'Donnell, and Angle will hose the GOP in winnable states. Anyone (Paul, Rubio) with 2016 presidential ambitions should steer clear of a filibuster.

Personal insults show you have lost.

Was that when you called me a dick over PM?

Can someone succinctly explain why expanded background checks or a national gun registry would be a bad thing?

This shit pisses me off so much.

Is the Obama news conference national? Really bringing the heat here

I am one of the few people who is not passionate about this debate so I have not read this thread...forgive me if this has been covered.

What is the argument against this bill? Is it simply that "it will not help to stop these mass shootings" (I happen to agree with that)? That is the only one I have heard and I don't think it is enough to vote against it. Again, I am not passionate about this so I am not disgusted that it did not pass the Senate but I can't think of a good reason why someone would vote it down. What is the harm of passing it?

Back