• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

UNC and SC will be in mourning in Charlotte.

A 20-year-old college student was fatally shot Saturday after trying to enter the wrong house on the street where he lived, police said.
Nicholas Anthony Donofrio, a sophomore at the University of South Carolina who lived on South Holly Street in Columbia, was found dead on the front porch of a house on the same street, said a statement from the police department.

A little before 2 a.m. Saturday, local police were dispatched to help prevent a home burglary that was reportedly in progress on South Holly Street in the Rosewood neighborhood.
While officials were still on their way, “the emergency call for service was upgraded to a shots fired call,” the statement said.

Police believe Donofrio attempted to enter the wrong house on his street and was shot in his upper body.

May be an image of text

One point that was personally hammered home this week - it's only a matter of time before each of us is the recipient or sender of one of those type texts.

The republican party is so fucked that a sitting Congressman can literally get shot by a crazy person with a rifle and even he cannot call for simple reforms. If he tried, the party would turn their back on him and the base would boo him publicly. Some ivory tower professor getting shot won't matter one bit. He should have come to class strapped.

The republican party is so fucked that a sitting Congressman can literally get shot by a crazy person with a rifle and even he cannot call for simple reforms. If he tried, the party would turn their back on him and the base would boo him publicly. Even worse, some wacko(s) may try to finish the job. Some ivory tower professor getting shot won't matter one bit. He should have come to class strapped.

Addendum. I’ve seen a few interviews with Republican and former Republican operatives that Republican politicians operate out of fear of violence from their base.

We crossed the rubicon when 26 people were gunned down in an elementary school, 20 of whom were first graders, and absolutely nothing was done to prevent these types of shootings from happening again.

These types of events are something we're going to have to live with for the rest of our lives and they're just going to become more and more frequent. I honestly don't see how anything changes.

We crossed the rubicon when 26 people were gunned down in an elementary school, 20 of whom were first graders, and absolutely nothing was done to prevent these types of shootings from happening again.

These types of events are something we're going to have to live with for the rest of our lives and they're just going to become more and more frequent. I honestly don't see how anything changes.
I get this line of thinking, but I don't agree. Stronger guns laws have been proven to decrease homicides, suicides, and accidental shootings. They are not going to eliminate them, but they decrease the prevalence of all 3. If/when democrats have the house, senate, and presidency, stronger gun legislation will be passed. Until that happens, states with democratic majorities are passing stronger legislation on the state level.

Stronger gun laws would begin to address so many issues in the US - the #1 cause of childhood death, the most devastating effects of racism, police violence, and cartels transporting fentanyl.

I get this line of thinking, but I don't agree. Stronger guns laws have been proven to decrease homicides, suicides, and accidental shootings. They are not going to eliminate them, but they decrease the prevalence of all 3. If/when democrats have the house, senate, and presidency, stronger gun legislation will be passed. Until that happens, states with democratic majorities are passing stronger legislation on the state level.

Stronger gun laws would begin to address so many issues in the US - the #1 cause of childhood death, the most devastating effects of racism, police violence, and cartels transporting fentanyl.
I agree with all of you're thinking re strong gun control legislation. Where I differ is that I don't think meaningful legislation will be passed. Even if/when Democrats control both houses and the white house, I don't have faith they pass anything strong enough to stop this. And even if they do, SCOTUS is going to be conservative for the foreseeable future and probably more than happy to strike down anything that will have a tangible effect, citing 2A rights.

I know this is a defeatist point of view and it shouldn't stop people for advocating for these changes. I just don't have a ton of hope that we'll see substantive change in our lifetimes.

this is the America gun people are ok with. it's as easy as a decision to make this shit stop and I'm tired of pretending it's not. the majority of Americans are fine with the child sacrifice at the altar of the 2nd amendment. not to mention adults -- watch the video of the guy shooting up the dollar general in Jacksonville. he just opens fire on a dude in his car in the parking lot within seconds of coming into sight. this can happen to any of us and there will be very little you can do about it.

If only any Republican anywhere cared about any of this.

this is the America gun people are ok with. it's as easy as a decision to make this shit stop and I'm tired of pretending it's not. the majority of Americans are fine with the child sacrifice at the altar of the 2nd amendment. not to mention adults -- watch the video of the guy shooting up the dollar general in Jacksonville. he just opens fire on a dude in his car in the parking lot within seconds of coming into sight. this can happen to any of us and there will be very little you can do about it.

Right. But dumbass Republicans think they could pew pew anybody who could easily just shoot them first.

best chance the guy in the car has is bad aim, and I would imagine those odds go down drastically when these people are using semi automatic assault rifles.

every kid now grows up with an incalculable amount of gun violence shoved in their face from every type of media available. every problem can be solved by someone with a gun. realistic first-person shooter games are an industry bigger than many countries. it's total insanity. we wouldn't let annoying car hobbyists take over our fucking government, we limit them to the target parking lot on Friday nights.

every kid now grows up with an incalculable amount of gun violence shoved in their face from every type of media available. every problem can be solved by someone with a gun. realistic first-person shooter games are an industry bigger than many countries. it's total insanity. we wouldn't let annoying car hobbyists take over our fucking government, we limit them to the target parking lot on Friday nights.
For sure, and the rising levels of anxiety, depression, and suicide amongst our youth are likely related to this. Imagine going to school every day knowing that schools are targeted for shootings. Some blame the mental health crisis amongst the youth in the US on the pandemic. While it likely did not help, all markers show that this issue has been worsening since 2008.

In a shocking move to no one, Tennessee's state legislators decide to change nothing following the Covenant School shooting:

They tied 9-9 on the vote to have teachers carry guns. The only "change" came in the form of throwing a little more money toward mental health research. When asked, one representative actually said "Haters are going to hate. We're making progress at a safe pace." I can't tell you how much I despise these people.

Back