• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

I wasn't necessarily thinking about it in that respect when I posted, though I do agree the suspect "profile" changes people's thoughts. I was thinking more along the lines that we're just more and more desensitized to all the violence around. There is a mass shooter on the loose like 2 hours from Boston and you wouldn't have had any sense of that walking around town yesterday. No increased security, no fewer people out and about. Just struck me as odd compared with the complete shutdown that happened for days following the marathon events. Obviously the location of the two is very different and you wouldn't expect the same response, but it struck me as odd.
Are there any reports of the shooter being in Boston? This is the USA. All of us are within 2 hours of a potential mass shooter at all times.

Are there any reports of the shooter being in Boston? This is the USA. All of us are within 2 hours of a potential mass shooter at all times.
No, I don't think they have any idea where he went. I feel like most shootings come to a pretty abrupt end though with the shooter arrested/killed. It's been 36 hours though - which is kind of what reminded me of the marathon situation.

No, I don't think they have any idea where he went. I feel like most shootings come to a pretty abrupt end though with the shooter arrested/killed. It's been 36 hours though - which is kind of what reminded me of the marathon situation.
Yet another reminder that we can't trust cops or each other to keep us safe. All the more reason it shouldn't be easy to get guns.

Yet another reminder that we can't trust cops or each other to keep us safe. All the more reason it shouldn't be easy to get guns.
yeah there's no way there wasn't a "good person with a gun" at any of the establishments this guy shot up. it just likely wasn't enough.

wondering why it’s so hard to call a guy who shoots up a bowling alley a terrorist

Halle freakin' lujah

Remains were found in a dumpster...

“Police have not released the names of those killed, but Emmitt Wilson said his 14-year-old son, Elijah, was one of the fatalities. Wilson came to the scene Sunday after getting a call that his son was a victim.

“It’s madness to me. I don’t even feel like I’m here right now,” Wilson said. “I hope the investigators do their job and find out who killed my son.”

Video posted online shows people, many in Halloween costumes, drinking and talking on the street when about a dozen shots ring out followed seconds later by about eight more, creating a stampede. Some people topple over metal tables and take cover behind them. Video from the aftermath shows police officers treating several people lying wounded on the ground.”

“Tampa Mayor Jane Castor, a former city police chief, said the problem isn’t a lack of policing, but the easy access to guns.

“Yet again, a senseless loss of life by those choosing to settle a dispute with firearms. Lives lost and others forever changed. To what end? The Tampa Police Department had 50 officers deployed in the area at the time, so this is not a law enforcement issue. Bad decisions made in a split second and the proliferation of readily available guns are responsible for these almost daily incidents,” she said in a statement.”

If cops and former cops united on this issue, maybe that would make a difference. Unfortunately too many cops are also right wing gun nuts.

It really makes little sense. Wouldn't your job as a LEO be safer/ less stressful if everyone you pulled over or interacted with didn't potentially have a huge capacity / high powered weapon?

I think it's one reason cops police so Aggressively. They're scared..
Imagine being a cop in the UK. Your biggest fear is some chump with a knife. Totally different interaction

But cops get so much funding and respect because the job is considered to be stressful and dangerous.

But cops get so much funding and respect because the job is considered to be stressful and dangerous.

But at the individual level - they all just want to go home safely at the end of the day. Common sense gun laws would make them more safe and their jobs less dangerous. But. They can't seem to make that connection apparently

They do go home safely at the end of the day. It's not even one of the 25 most dangerous jobs. And every cop who does die leads to more resources and funding for the rest of them. They still don't have an obligation to stop mass shooters. It's an optional part of the job.

If there weren't as many guns, they wouldn't need to adopt a warrior mentality and get weapons of war to patrol the streets.

Imagine that...

I just can't figure out what could ever stop these things from happening.

When I worked at DHS more than a decade ago, one of our projects was to create an architecture that would allow state and local governments to share red flag info with Federal Agencies along with options for local sharing and even state-to-state communications. Gun lobby got a hold of it and got the project frozen, then turned it into some anti-immigrant gun tracker thing with a bullshit contractor that never got anything working. When even ICE is like "nah that's fucking stupid" you know you have problems...

But hey, nothing we can do.

Back