• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing gun violence/injury thread

I have no problem with that as long as there are limited exceptions (Adult children/ spouses using a family firearm).

I would have no problem making such transfers not have to pay any fees but still be processed.

If they aren't registered those millions of weapons disappear from the system and could sold or traded to people who can't legally get guns.

I meant you shouldn't be an accomplice if your adult child or spouse steals the gun from your house.

OK, I thought you meant if a father gave a son or daughter the weapon.

Wrong again. Even Scalia said gun regs were legal in Heller:

"Look at the syllabus of the Court’s brief that he wrote:
Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. [United States v.] Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons"

And former Justice Stevens agrees:

"Former Justice John Paul Stevens said last fall, as quoted by The New York Times: “Even as generously construed in Heller, the Second Amendment provides no obstacle to regulations prohibiting the ownership or use of the sorts of automatic weapons used in the tragic multiple killings in Virginia, Colorado, and Arizona in recent years. The failure of Congress to take any action to minimize the risk of similar tragedies in the future cannot be blamed on the Court’s decision in Heller.”

You are simply and intentionally misrepresenting the decision to fits your needs.

Shows that Scalia knows what he is talking about, and Stevens does not. Semiautomatic and fully automatic are not the same, same as "in common use" as not. Nothing Stevens noted had anything to do with full auto weapons. Seems Stevens is not aware of the difference between NFA of 1934 firearms, and those that are not.

Funny that Feinstein's addition of an AWB went down 60 votes to 40 as an addition to the failed background check bill a few months ago. Are those 60 senators now extremists in your book, rj?

And did not Stevens demand armed bodyguards for life for himself? I guess he puts his pants on differently from the rest of us...

Last edited:
What you conveniently neglect is Scalia is saying is completely wrong.

CA Gov Jerry Brown has a bill on his desk that declares that all semiauto rifles that can accept detachable box magazines are assault weapons.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/family.asp?webflag_=002B&catalog_=B

http://www.remington.com/en/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/autoloading-model-750.aspx

If anyone can tell me that these are preferred rifles of gang members with a straight face, and that the denizens of CA will be safer after these rifles are banned, Diane Feinstein has a concealed carry permit for you...

CA Gov Jerry Brown has a bill on his desk that declares that all semiauto rifles that can accept detachable box magazines are assault weapons.

http://www.remington.com/en/product-families/firearms/centerfire-families/autoloading-model-750.aspx

If anyone can tell me that these are preferred rifles of gang members with a straight face, and that the denizens of CA will be safer after these rifles are banned, Diane Feinstein has a concealed carry permit for you...

Fine, ban handguns too

GREAT!!!

If he can it to the next step and ban all magazines bigger than 10 or 15 rounds, it would be even better.

Children and Guns: The Hidden Toll

Over all, the largest number of deaths came at the upper end of the age range, with ages 13 and 14 being most common — not necessarily surprising, given that parents generally allow adolescents greater access to guns. But the third-most common age was 3 (tied with 12), a particularly vulnerable age, when children are curious and old enough to manipulate a firearm but ignorant of the dangers.

About a quarter of the victims shot themselves, with younger children again especially susceptible. More than half of the self-inflicted shootings involved children 5 or under; the most common age was 3.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/29/us/pennsylvania-estranged-daughter-murder/?iref=obnetwork

Interesting story. Here we have two armed assailants bent on murder and (judging from gas can in car) probably torching the house to cover up the crime. Responsible gun owner (not sarcastic) gets his .22 caliber revolver and kills both assailants in a gun fight.

This kind of incident, while vanishingly rare, is the kind of incident that gun advocates cite when they say they need access to submachine guns and AR-15 type weapons. We see here that a person who knows what he is doing with a gun (the only type of person that should own them, in my opinion) is able to defend himself in a worst-case scenario with a .22 caliber revolver.

The much more common gun-defense situation involves dumbasses breaking in bent on stealing a TV and some liquor, and running for the hills as soon as a gun is shown or shots are fired.

GREAT!!!

If he can it to the next step and ban all magazines bigger than 10 or 15 rounds, it would be even better.

Funny that Brown, as AG, signed on the amicus brief for the plaintiffs in either Heller or McDonald, I forget which, but you can look it up. I hope he signs those bills, it will make the lawsuit against that much easier. Should the denizens of CA have their tax money go to attorneys' fees much like the city of Chicago was forced to pay for the McDonald case? It was funny to see Rahm Emmanuel's signature on those checks, he must have signed them with his pinched nose in the air...

I posted Scalia's comments re: the ability to make laws limiting certain guns/accessories from Heller, but you act like it never happened.

I guess your definition of "in common use" is quite different from everyone else's. To say that magazines of 10 plus rounds of ammunition are not in common use flies in the face of logic.

I find it tragic that Feinstein commented on the Navy Yard shooting and AR15s before the facts came out that the loon in question used a pump action shotgun, and then took a handgun from the guard he murdered.

I find it funny that you quoted Scalia's majority opinion, in that it includes that concealed carry may be restricted in sensitive places. Thus, concealed carry may be allowed in non sensitive places, yes?

Last edited:
Common use does not mean turning a ten shot piston into a 30 shot pistol or turning a 10-15 shot rifle into 30-100 shot weapon. the "common use" for those weapons is how they were designed and sold.

Using your logic it's unconstitutional to ban silencers or turning weapons into fully automatic.

Common use does not mean turning a ten shot piston into a 30 shot pistol or turning a 10-15 shot rifle into 30-100 shot weapon. the "common use" for those weapons is how they were designed and sold.

Using your logic it's unconstitutional to ban silencers or turning weapons into fully automatic.

And I have not broached the subject of the NFA of 1934, or the GCA of 1968, which you just did. Do you honestly think that fully automatic rifles and sound suppressors are in common use?

Back