• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing Knife Violence / Pittsburgh School Incident

Are you serious Clark?

I'm gonna cite Occam's Razor and maintain that there is no way that was your intention. Particularly given the timestamps of your first post and when you could have posted other stories about it.

Just admit what you were doing and move on. Nobody cares one way or the other, but don't act like we're a bunch of idiots haha.

I freely admit that the first story caught my eye this morning, followed by the other links of other knife stabbings underneath. There are now three mass knife stabbing events posted in this thread within the past year, with stories linked to them.

Gotta give it to this guy, he's sticking with his shtick. Still contemplating my vote on whether he's an idiot or being an idiot.

Right. But you just came up with the "ongoing knife violence" title with the purpose of.....truly making it identical to the gun thread? I haven't checked that thread out, but have you put your thoughts about mental illness or anything there over the past few months? Or is it just this influx of knifing incidents that caused your concern, despite the fact that in 2010 31,627 Americans died at the hands of a gun whereas only 2,598 Americans died due to any kind of cut/pierce incident?

At least one good news story coming from the Pittsburgh event:

At one point, a female student applied pressure to the wounds of one of the male victims, possibly helping to save his life, said Dr. Mark Rubino, chief medical officer at Forbes Regional Hospital in nearby Monroeville, Pennsylvania, where seven teenagers and one adult were taken.

That male teen helped by a fellow student was one of three teens taken into surgery at Forbes.

Right. But you just came up with the "ongoing knife violence" title with the purpose of.....truly making it identical to the gun thread? I haven't checked that thread out, but have you put your thoughts about mental illness or anything there over the past few months? Or is it just this influx of knifing incidents that caused your concern, despite the fact that in 2010 31,627 Americans died at the hands of a gun whereas only 2,598 Americans died due to any kind of cut/pierce incident?

My main concern is with the mental health of this country in general, but the big headlines concerning these stabbings are of some concern, as are the recent mass shootings to a greater extent.

Sure. I think mental health is a major issue too. I think it's a major issue with or without guns in the equation. I think the combination of our lack of awareness and diagnosis of mental health issues combined with the absurdly easy access to guns drastically increases the number of gun deaths in the nation.

I don't believe that Americans have drastically different mental health issues than say...the United Kingdom, yet in 2010 the USA had nearly 192 times more gun deaths than the UK.

jaguars-fan-cant-believe-it-nfl-fan-gifs.gif

Sure. I think mental health is a major issue too. I think it's a major issue with or without guns in the equation. I think the combination of our lack of awareness and diagnosis of mental health issues combined with the absurdly easy access to guns drastically increases the number of gun deaths in the nation.

I don't believe that Americans have drastically different mental health issues than say...the United Kingdom, yet in 2010 the USA had nearly 192 times more gun deaths than the UK.

Then you definitely agree that mental health was a driving factor behind the Texas Community College stabbing, right? Because, if I had to take a guess, then I'd say the same happened here today.

Then you definitely agree that mental health was a driving factor behind the Texas Community College stabbing, right? Because, if I had to take a guess, then I'd say the same happened here today.

What are your thoughts on gun control?

What does this have anything to do with what I just posted? I have no idea if one specific incident had to do with mental illness or not. I was talking big picture.

So wait, if this was meant to lead to a discussion about mental health, why was the title copied from a gun violence thread?

Violence in schools is terrifying. Glad the kid is in custody, hopefully they’ll be able to figure out what motivated him to do this.

And rock on, students who helped their classmates.

So wait, if this was meant to lead to a discussion about mental health, why was the title copied from a gun violence thread?

Violence in schools is terrifying. Glad the kid is in custody, hopefully they’ll be able to figure out what motivated him to do this.

And rock on, students who helped their classmates.

It was meant to talk about the recent string of publicized mass knife stabbings, just like the recent string of mass shootings, hence the similarities in the title. It was not meant to be either for, or against gun control. And I've basically spent the last three pages of this thread saying this.

What are you in real estate!?

Shut the fuck up. The guy can start a thread if he Fkin wants to.

Don't respond if you don't like it.

It was meant to talk about the recent string of publicized mass knife stabbings, just like the recent string of mass shootings, hence the similarities in the title. It was not meant to be either for, or against gun control. And I've basically spent the last three pages of this thread saying this.

The gun violence thread isn’t just about the recent string of mass shootings, it is about the ongoing violence that happens literally every day, including accidents, kids coming across guns, escalation of arguments, etc. It’s meant to highlight the huge problem we have with gun violence in this country. (Or at least that’s how I read it, not trying to explain BBD’s original intentions or anything.)

That’s why people are reacting to your thread title, because it comes off as “see? There’s a problem with knives too!!”

No shit. See, there is a problem with knife violence.

What, you need to see bigger numbers for it to be relevant?

No shit. See, there is a problem with knife violence.

What, you need to see bigger numbers for it to be relevant?

The reason there is a gun thread is because over 30k Americans a year are killed by a gun.

There are not over 30k Americans a year killed by knives

Back