• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing NC GOP debacle thread

Doesn't the idea of a special session to pass a new state law governing what municipalities can legislate regarding pay, worker benefits, and bathroom usage seem like a disproportionate response to the Charlotte bathroom bill ?

I mean, the guy works for Phil Berger !

Just small government heroes steppin on some toes !

Figures that Paul Stam has his greasy fingers all over this bill. From his wiki page:

In June 2014, in the course of a debate over a proposal to prohitib charter schools from discriminating in hiring or admissions on the grounds of "sexual orientation or gender identity," Stam passed out a handout describing pedophilia, necrophilia and bestiality as "sexual orientations" (the language was taken from an obsolete edition of the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). "Many, many sexual orientations are not ones you want to have teaching kids in school. You may think you know what you mean by this, but you don't," Stam said. He refused to further explain the list, which he had previously passed around when arguing against including sexual orientation in the state's statute against school bullying in 2010. Speaker Tillis' office later issued a statement characterizing Stam's remarks as "not helpful".

Out of curiosity, how do you enforce this or prevent transgender people from using the bathroom of their choice?

When I was working for the state, if work was slow and something interesting was going on in the GA I would sneak over to listen the house or senate debate. I was there when they were debating SB 2 (the bill that would allow magistrates to recuse themselves from performing duties that were against their "sincerely held religious beliefs"). The stuff that was coming out of the GOP legislators' mouths was looney tune-level crazy. It seriously made me sick to my stomach to the point where I had to leave because I couldn't sit there anymore and listen to how hateful these people are. I'm confident that the boards could govern the state more effectively than the current GA can.

Well, if this passes in its current version, which I imagine it will, all local boards of education and executive branch agencies shall require every multiple occupancy bathroom or changing facility "to be designated for" and only used by persons based on their biological sex. So, maybe they could put up a sign that says "biological males only" or "biological females only" or simply "no transgenders allowed."

Out of curiosity, how do you enforce this or prevent transgender people from using the bathroom of their choice?

Good question. David Cross talked about this when I saw his new standup in Durham last month. His argument, which I agree with, is that I don't go into the bathroom to stare at other guys' dicks, so how would I even know if someone else is transgendered? The GOP somehow thinks that if they don't pass this legislation it's going to result in a bunch of guys in drag shaking their wieners at little kids.

They can't, of course. So transgendered people will continue to use the bathrooms of the gender with which they identify (because to do otherwise would be absurd), only now they will be doing so explicitly in contravention of this new legislation.

Good question. David Cross talked about this when I saw his new standup in Durham last month. His argument, which I agree with, is that I don't go into the bathroom to stare at other guys' dicks, so how would I even know if someone else is transgendered? The GOP somehow thinks that if they don't pass this legislation it's going to result in a bunch of guys in drag shaking their wieners at little kids.

I wonder how sincerely held the gay predator boogeyman belief is for people at this point? I honestly have a hard time understanding the motivations for discriminating anymore. I guess it's purely religious motivation. :noidea:

I wonder how sincerely held the gay predator boogeyman belief is for people at this point? I honestly have a hard time understanding the motivations for discriminating anymore. I guess it's purely religious motivation. :noidea:

From Rep. Stam's wiki page (he's one of the sponsors of the bathroom bill):

In June 2014, in the course of a debate over a proposal to prohitib charter schools from discriminating in hiring or admissions on the grounds of "sexual orientation or gender identity," Stam passed out a handout describing pedophilia, necrophilia and bestiality as "sexual orientations" (the language was taken from an obsolete edition of the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). "Many, many sexual orientations are not ones you want to have teaching kids in school. You may think you know what you mean by this, but you don't," Stam said. He refused to further explain the list, which he had previously passed around when arguing against including sexual orientation in the state's statute against school bullying in 2010. Speaker Tillis' office later issued a statement characterizing Stam's remarks as "not helpful".

Do any conservatives on here support this bill? Who is voting these idiots into office in NC? Obviously a decent chunk of people.

They can't, of course. So transgendered people will continue to use the bathrooms of the gender with which they identify (because to do otherwise would be absurd), only now they will be doing so explicitly in contravention of this new legislation.

Right. Which is going to freak out the good little Christians of Mecklenburg County more, the transgendered person hidden in the stall in the lady's room or the transgendered person hiking up his dress to pee in the men's room? Would be a pretty good protest to have a bunch of dudes dressed like ladies descend en masse to pee in the men's room in the Capitol building.

Right. Which is going to freak out the good little Christians of Mecklenburg County more, the transgendered person hidden in the stall in the lady's room or the transgendered person hiking up his dress to pee in the men's room? Would be a pretty good protest to have a bunch of dudes dressed like ladies descend en masse to pee in the men's room in the Capitol building.

Or just have toilets on the front lawn. That's always a great protest.

This.

NC_Senate_Districts_2013_to_2022.jpg

And this.

NC_House_Districts_2013_to_2022.jpg

Both are good starts to explaining where all of this batshit legislation comes from.

So my current state senator is Bob Rucho, who's in favor of the state controlling everything and pretty much all right wing initiatives. He's retiring but is going to be replaced by Dan Bishop, who introduced this asinine bill in today's short session. My House rep is a former teacher who wants to turn damn near every school into a charter school. But, with the redrawing of the US Congressional District lines, my incumbent US House Rep is Alma Adams.

Back